Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Opinion: Opening Crates Shouldn't Interrupt Reload.

waltonsi

^ Title should read "Lockers" instead of "Crates"

In such a fast-paced game, it seems strange that these two things interact the way they do. Actions like hacking a terminal or swinging a melee weapon make sense. But why does opening a chest interrupt the reload?

From a technical standpoint: it interrupts gameflow. Having to stand in front of a box while reloading a weapon (especially one with a long reload timer like a Snipetron or Gorgon) is at odds with how fast and smooth the rest of the game's pacing is. It stands out, and not in a good way.

From an in-game standpoint: Tenno are pretty dexterous. Can't they just jab the "open" button with an elbow mid-reload? Hard to imagine that someone with the manual dexterity to run up a wall while gunning someone down across the room and backflipping immediately thereafter would have trouble with this simple multitask.

Anyway, just my $0.02. By the way, I love that the last quarter or so of the reload can be skipped by performing an action early. Really cuts down on the "CRAP, I just cancelled my reload at 99%" that some other games have suffered from. Whoever put that in deserves all of the cookies.

Edited by waltonsi

Well you can't in real life open a door, while switching out the mag on your AR-15, at least easily. I have no opinion on it really. But if i really had to pick I would not prefer it.

He also has a point...but then again, the Tenno make no seeable movement that would warrant the use of the hands to open the lockers. Perhaps if there were an animation, then I'd be content with stopping to reload to open them.

Edited by Gigatron-Prime

Well you can't in real life open a door, while switching out the mag on your AR-15, at least easily. I have no opinion on it really. But if i really had to pick I would not prefer it.

I can't molt my skin and leave behind a statue in real life either. Or run 100 feet along a wall. "Real life" has laughably little relevance in a game about cyborg space ninjas, really. This is a game mechanics and flow thing.

But if you absolutely need a "realism" angle, thy this one on for size: As Gigatron-Prime pointed out, Tenno currently have no animation to show they're opening up lockers manually. Therefore, we can assume that they're actually activating the electronic lock wirelessly, through their suit's digital interface. It'd be simple enough for one to just think "Warframe, open that container." while swapping his spent mag out for a fresh one.

Edited by waltonsi

I can't molt my skin and leave behind a statue in real life either. Or run 100 feet along a wall. "Real life" has laughably little relevance in a game about cyborg space ninjas, really. This is a game mechanics and flow thing.

Realism is needed in some ways. The game is not complete and is still in beta and small animations are not added yet. Do you want guns to never have to reload? Small parts of realism is needed in every game to add as much immersion as possible. Electronically could be a way to do it, but it seems as if they are men't to be manually opened.

Edited by dadgoat

Realism is needed in some ways. The game is not complete and is still in beta and small animations are not added yet. Do you want guns to never have to reload? Small parts of realism is needed in every game to add as much immersion as possible. Electronically could be a way to do it, but it seems as if they are men't to be manually opened.

Some things already have animations for activation, such as opening up the ship's reactors. I'd imagine if they intended opening each locker to have an animation, they'd use the exact same one. It seems likely that they thought such a thing would be exhausting (imagine having to press a button to pick up ammo and mods). Realism is nice when you can fit it in, but it should never trump gameplay.