Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Combat Idea

Grnd91

I had an interesting Idea for a melee combat mechanic while I was messing around at extraction with a friend. He and I both had heavy melee weapons (I had a Gram he had a Scindo) and I said "Melee high five" and we tried to coordinate our charge attacks to meet at the same point at the same time. Well this popped an interesting Idea of having melee weapons of similar weight class "clink" off each other when they hit at the same time.

Here's a gameplay example, say a Grineer Sawman is almost about to strike a player after running up to the player and the player says "fudge it, I'll throw down with you" and the player makes a normal attack with a Skana. The Sawman's Machete and the Skana are, more or less, in the same weight class and would "clink" aganst each other stunning both the player and the Sawman and delivering a quarter of the normal damage to both sides of the interaction. the stun would be a quick, half second, animation where both the Sawman and the player would reel from the impact. Now take the situation but replace the Skana with a heavier weapon...lets say the Fragor. The Fragor is far heavier than the Machete and so would overpower the Sawman. a "clink" event would happen, only the Sawman is sent sprawling (possibly to the ground) and takes half damage while the player gets to follow through with his or her normal swing animation. It could be useful for making Melee enemies more dangerous and, perhaps, you could even give bosses like Vor special clink animations where his weapon bounces off yours then sparta kicks you to get you out of his face.

I think it would be a coll Idea, and for giggles you could also have player weapos clink off each other as well so if two or more players are charging into melee with a single enemy they would hinder each others attacks. And so that my friend and I can have our heavy weapon high five with a Gram and Scindo.

I like it but what about when the enemy overpowers you; like you said, "a boss." Your kinda screwed if you're stunned and can do anything about it.

Well the "Stun" would be a quick half or quarter second animation (kinda more of a stagger) where both chars recover from their weapons clashing. As for the boss thing I did think of it by mentioning Vor. A successful "clink" against Vor would trigger a special animation where both your and his weapons clash and then he kicks you away so as to disengage from melee combat. And if an enemy overpowers you, then you would be sent sprawling backward and perhaps if a "reaction" is made, for instance hitting the dodge, your character will gracefully and quickly recover from the hit, doing a handspring or some other acrobatic action depending on the way your character is stumbling.