Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Damage Type Skins And Other Ideas (Someideasv3)

GrogBeard

I have been adding to a google doc with some friends as we play. We have come up with ideas! Here are a few more.

OG: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/33655-some-ideas-mechanics-tile-sets-etc/#entry307969

SEQUEL: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/57676-some-ideas-2-this-time-there-are-more-ideas/#entry596391

I spoiler tagged the long ones to make my post more interactive, and cause... they take up more room?

#1)  Desperado. A nightmare mode without drops, or severely depleted natural resources in the game. Kinda like the energy drain, except for guns.

#2) Timers. Some sort of mission clock on the debrief screen. Tracking your top time running through a mission would be cool for bragging rights. Then leader-boards etc. 

#3) Mission leader-boards. Ties into the above. Keep track of the top 100 completions in Accuracy, Pickups, Shortest Time, Kills, Stealth Kills, etc.

#4) Alternate Room Modifiers.

There can be more done with this! Getting Locked-out, Spaced, and Detected by corpus cameras (laser doors) are cool room modifiers that make you interact with the mission differently. Maybe an infested blob on the wall (or something) that when you shoot it slows the whole room temporarily then regenerates. This would give you something to not shoot in infested missions and make you play more carefully. Perhaps barrels that pour acid on the floor of a Grineer ship? (Parkour lava monster anyone?)  Or some heavily armored energy pylon that saps your energy, until you blow it up, then returns it in ball form. (or not :D) Infested slime that reduces your friction with the ground? Sky's the limit. Could even lock this stuff down to contain the contaminant. 

#5) Mobility Sentinel Mods.

I know that DE has been tossing around the grappling hook warframe mod idea, but this seems like something you could throw on a sentinel. Just reach up grab your sentinel, and it hookshots and pulls you along with it Not only the grappling hook idea, but other mobility oriented abilities could be. Perhaps a teleport back to the cryopod on an endless defense, or a really costly double jump? We could let our sentinels be another way to spend energy perhaps.

#6) Consumable cover.

Let me give you credits for a Tenno storage cube that I can plop down. Hide behind it as cover, or use it to block a doorway or approach. With health, or a time limit I suppose. If it had health and was treated like an ally, then trinity could be even more support-y with "base" repair/invuln, or mag could buff it with shields. Could be insanely powerful, or not at all good.

#7) Ragdoll Bostaff 

Only two things deal "force-field" damage at the moment (according to the wiki) and I feel like the BO staff should be able to knock people over in some capacity. (charge attacks? every 5th melee? something.) This could be implemented with weapon skins that change damage types, I don't want to make everything a fire weapon, I am mostly thinking of weird customization specialities. Trade off charge damage for making the weapon deal force-field damage, or slashing. Whatever, there are cool choices that could be made here.

#8) Alternate abilities. Please don't mess these up. 

DE has laid the groundwork for implementing different abilities to the same warframe, like equipping runes in Diablo3. Tribes:Ascend did not do these side-grades right. They took their unique elements and staples, and blurred them together. The spinfusor and the assault rifle became a PLASMA GUN, an average of the two. (Middling refire rate, with small amounts of splash damage.) This conceptually is alright, and easy to balance, it just becomes gray and flavorless. It would be cool to see alternate abilities that change the utility, rather than damage/aoe radius tradeoffs.

#8.5) Absolutes. Don't ever change,

not that I think you want to. I feel like people liked the old Iron Skin, and were then infuriated when it changed because it was absolute. For a period of time you took no damage. Abilities like these are strange in online multi-player games nowadays. TF2's Ubercharges and CS1.6's tower shields, have slowly been replaced by take 40% less damage. Death has become Downed. Loki takes away enemy weapons, forever. This makes warframe more like a board game than an RPG, and I think that is good. (We play with cards all day anyway right? :3) 

My first post on the design council, and thank you for this awesome weekend event. Chasing the scouts down is super fun! Totally my idea. :D Job plz?

Edited by GrogBeard

I feel like number 5 could be a very fun new version of a defense game where you get maybe 2 squads in, and each person gets money to build a fortress and an alotted time period before the mission starts, and as you kill people you get money to build/repair your base and try to hold off enemies as long as you can.

I would like to point out that this is technically not the design council that you posted this in. I like your ideas though! they seem like they could be a lot of fun.

oh well yeah, I just meant that I was in the design council, that is new for me. :3

I feel like number 5 could be a very fun new version of a defense game where you get maybe 2 squads in, and each person gets money to build a fortress and an alotted time period before the mission starts, and as you kill people you get money to build/repair your base and try to hold off enemies as long as you can.

This would be great to sink credits into. Perhaps some kind of competitive defense? Interesting thought! 

Edited by GrogBeard