Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stuck Commands

Kamoenix

Heya peeps,

I'm making this post in regards to getting stuck in walls / floors and when things just go horribly wrong.

Last night I was in the orokin void and just running normally through one of those spinning doors when it clipped me and span me into the wall, effectively rendering me useless. I tried every way I could at jumping out with no luck. I have had a similar experience happen to me before and the system luckily realised that I was out of bounds killed me and teleported me back.

Though what I'm asking is if you can implement any commands to help the user if they get stuck and the system doesn't realise that your stuck. Other games have a /stuck command which nudges you slightly in a direction and or moves your character to a safe spot.

Understandably you probably don't want people just using /stuck to get around, which I'm quite happy to have some penalties attached for example, you could have a time delay so a person could only use the command every 5 minutes (random number plucked from head) or if it teleports you it sends you to a down state as being outright killed is a little harsh, so at least if your with a team you can get continue without too much hassle.

What are peoples opinions on this matter?

DE already said there's no chance they will implement a /stuck command because they'd rather the problems be reported and fixed. 

Which was a genius idea on their part.  

This is still a beta, an unstuck button would completely destroy the point of it being a beta.  Unstuckers are for when those things happen extremely infrequently and are more of a non-reproducible glitch than an ongoing bug to be fixed.

Because that doesn't tell you what led to it happening.  People also use unstuckers to exploit, so they would wind up with hundreds or thousands (probably thousands) of reports that mean nothing.

It's DE's opinion, but I really believe people who would normally report bugs would still report these bugs even with an /unstuck command. People who don't report bugs just won't, so it doesn't matter for them. But if you really want to promote bug reporting, when a player types /unstuck, it could first prompt you with a little window to type a bug, which you can't close for 30 seconds, so you might as well type something. Only during beta, of course.

So yeah, I'm an advocate of them sending the coordinates and if there's some sort of log in the game, send the last 5 seconds of movement. It should answer all questions and be way more useful than random people's accounts with communication and language barriers. Just send the info. It's what we do at work when games have bugs. You send them the bug report with repro steps, but the bug report also sends a dump of what just happened and the current memory dump as well. This stuff is way more useful than anything a person could type.

No one exploits the unstuck command. That's silly. The worst that ever happens is that people use it to goof around. It could easily have a cooldown. If you're getting stuck more than the cooldown feels comfortable, well DE really needs to whip their level designers.

PvE games need unstuck commands. I'm actually relatively ambivalent about it in beta, but in the "release" version, there better be one. In solo games, it doesn't usually matter because of checkpoints and saves. In PvP, the maps tend to be small or, at least, frequented so often that these things are commonly reported and fixed, or commonly known and avoided. In Warframe, the content gets pumped out really fast, is full of bugs and holes, and we're left with "bug reporting" even though people spend money on this game. It's not good enough to tell people it's a beta, so they should report the bugs, and in the meantime you're screwed for getting stuck in a door or fell through the floor.

Speaking of, it's very easy to report when someone falls through a floor, there's no exploit with this, and there's no need for an /unstuck for these situations. The game should just report it, but it doesn't (from what DE has said, it doesn't seem to). Why doesn't the game have a kill box like all games have for the past two decades? If by chance you fall out of a map, you are killed after some distance (there's an outer box somewhere, that's where a designer places the killzone). You can reverse the fall time and find exactly where the player fell through.

I understand as a developer wanting to know about bugs, so I can fix them. I don't think DE has approached this well. An /unstuck command would really help them, if they knew what they were doing making one. Maybe they just lack the confidence to do right by themselves, so they screw the player in the meantime.