Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some simple fix ideas for dojo building

SKOOM_PRIME

I'd like to start with saying that DE has added bunch of great content for the dojo and I look forwards to using it more in the future. That being said there are some problems that could definitely use some polishing. I'll try and make a comprehensive list here with some hopefully simple solutions.

Spazzy object placing - I'll start with the most obtrusive one first. When set to stick to surfaces, objects will spazz out constantly. You might get an object to sit properly, but the moment you touch it again it spins about in insane geometries no mortal was ever meant to witness. Cthulhu would be proud. This is probably the most constant bug, I usually spend a solid 70% of my build time simply trying to mitigate this bug or starting from scratch when an object bugs out and has to be deleted.

----------Solution (maybe?) - Give an option to lock an object's axes while you are interacting it. From then on it could only move through the grid spaces, with no changes in the directions it's facing. I think this would be a simple fix that would stop a lot of people from clawing their own eyeballs out (sadly it is already too late for me, I am using speech to text.)

Perspective based placement - Often when placing an object it can be difficult to fit in the right place because you have a set grabbing point for the object and some other geometry is obstructing your line of site with that object, making it get pushed around from where you want it to go. I've found this to be the second most problematic function, especially when working in areas that already have a lot of pre-made geometry. Not eye-clawingly painful to deal with but enough to make me a cry a few tears of blood.

----------Solution (maybe?) - In addition to letting us move objects with line of sight, allow us to switch to a mode where the object is moved purely on an X/Y/Z axis using the grid system that is already set in place. This would allow us to move objects freely even when surrounded by clutter in a precise and simple fashion. This would help prevent unfortunate accidents such as impaling a poor Loki statue statue with a 20 meter metal tube.

No object snapping - Many modular parts (walkways, pipes, etc.), are very difficult to work with because there is no effective way to align them properly. The grid systems is helpful but seems to accrue errors rapidly, with the 3rd or 4th object in a chain showing very obvious misalignment. This makes it hard to use these objects for their main purpose; modular building. As we are thousands of years in the future having the technology to line up pipes would create leaps and bounds of technological advances within the sewage industry.

----------Solution (maybe?) - Make modular parts snap in place with each other at predetermined spots. I'm not sure how complex this fix would be but designing each piece to snap onto another piece of identical size would really simplify construction, making only the first object require grid placement. Maybe make it a toggleable option to give players more flexibility.

There are other smaller problems as well but I think fixing these 3 primary problems would solve a lot of the smaller ones. Thanks for giving this a read, I hope some DEvelopers see this and find some solutions from it as well.