Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mobs, Aggro, And You: A Way To Make The Game Less Irritating

FatRefrigerator

I'm actually okay with them knowing my precise location... No so much the infested mind you. However, if the alarm is gone if, it should be relatively easy for them to track you inside their ship. I mean if they have technology for artificial gravity, internal sensors would be nothing.

In terms of gameplay though, I'd think it's more like this.

1) Alarm goes off

2) Everybody knows exactly where you are

3) Hack a terminal

4) Recalibrate sensors to not detect you (maybe another minigame?)

5) Another enemy recalibrates the sensors when they see you by running to another terminal

So they would see you, alert everybody, know exactly where you are, you disappear, they're on alert for the rest of the mission. That would at least be kind of plausible. Mind you a ship of the size you normally play on would have people working sensors and stuff all the time so hacking and recalibrating wouldn't actually work.. but it's a video game PEW PEW ZAP!

This would almost make it like terminal hopping

I'm actually okay with them knowing my precise location... No so much the infested mind you. However, if the alarm is gone if, it should be relatively easy for them to track you inside their ship. I mean if they have technology for artificial gravity, internal sensors would be nothing.

In terms of gameplay though, I'd think it's more like this.

1) Alarm goes off

2) Everybody knows exactly where you are

3) Hack a terminal

4) Recalibrate sensors to not detect you (maybe another minigame?)

5) Another enemy recalibrates the sensors when they see you by running to another terminal

So they would see you, alert everybody, know exactly where you are, you disappear, they're on alert for the rest of the mission. That would at least be kind of plausible. Mind you a ship of the size you normally play on would have people working sensors and stuff all the time so hacking and recalibrating wouldn't actually work.. but it's a video game PEW PEW ZAP!

This would almost make it like terminal hopping

I like the AI in this game. Sure, it could use work, but its miles better than many other games out there with larger budgets.

I've gotten into firefights and been flanked in phobos and the main ship tileset.

One time, I was detected early on and eventually came to a corner, far away from any grineer I'd fought, and around the other side of the corner there was a grineer of some sort hiding right where I would have hid if someone were coming around.  That was an awesome surprise.

I'm sure they'll add ambush nodes if they haven't already (no idea if the above is a freak coincidence or not, but then again random and unique moment to moment experiences are part of what makes Warframe so damned fun).

Infested are the worst part really, the unfortunate exception to my satisfaction with AI in Warframe. They're pretty oldschool doom-like mobs.  The leapers barely ever leap and the chargers barely ever charge.  It'd be nice if they swarmed and circled you, ambushed from behind and above, etc.  Currently, they always and only just run at you to die.

AI is extremely important to the player experience, and it absolutely astounds me that so many developer teams (Not DE) do not take AI seriously and devote resources to it.  A decade and a half ago, at the age of 13, I scatch-coded bots in Quake 1 that could read map nodes I made to detect light/darkness values and take random guesses at where a player was or spend time and be vulnerable to rear attacks from investigating darkness...among other behaviors like avoiding their burning allies, waiting in a dark corner or around a corner for a certain time after the player passes to attack, or wounded bots retreating to pick up health items/get to health stations/get to the healer mob.  Why is this not done more often by paid professionals when a 'pre-internet' 13 year old did it?  Damn shame.