Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Security Concerns And Suggestions

DavidSPD

Hey all, 

I've been one of the many unfortunate people that followed a bad link and managed to get myself a nifty keylogger in the past. Been almost a year now. Lost a couple of my accounts (they logged in and did things to get me banned), tried to spend money from my checking account (which my bank blocked, thankfully) and simply stole several of my other accounts from other games, Minecraft included.

Now I know I have no one to blame but myself, but ever since then I've been very... "cautious" about what I do online etc. All of my email accounts require mobile authentication, I've made new emails and I use different passwords for literally every site I use that are so complex I can't freaking remember them, I require paper sitting next to me at all times that I've written them onto. I also change passwords every month or two.

Rambling though, point is, it's horrible to have this happen to you, and should it happen I feel that Warframe doesn't have many extra layers of security to help us, and while I don't think it's a super priority there are some things that I would like to see:

1. IP tracking and blocking. If I have one thousand logins from one location, then all the sudden my account gets logged into in different countries, lock the account and send an email requiring authorization to continue using your account. 

2. Easy email changing In the event that something happens either to our game or our email address there's currently no way to change the email address associated with the game. I imagine you can contact customer support, but as it's been proven it can take days if not weeks for them to get back to us. Enough time for any attackers to do whatever they like to our account. Granted they can't give any of our stuff to other accounts, but they could just delete things or sell them to NPCs because hackers are *****. This suggestion may seem weird but I'm still using the emails that keyloggers discovered. I moved all of my important accounts to a different, more secure email address, and I did it all at once after my computer was cleaned. I get hundreds of spam emails from this keylogger a week trying to get me to unintentionally d/l another keylogger and/or trojan, and I know better so I rarely use the email since there are several accounts I haven't or can't switch still tied to it.

3. Unique login name Currently we sign in using our email addresses. Should anybody get a keylogger or someone somehow find out what our email is that's associated with Warframe then getting into the game just got a lot easier. I would like to request that our login name be unique from our in-game alias and our emails. That way even if someone knows what email we use they don't have all the info they need to just log right into the game. 

Obviously the best defense against things like this is prevention. Don't follow links from people you don't know, avoid websites with less reputable content, don't tell anybody your email/acct name/password, regularly change your password, don't log into accounts from a public or untrusted computer, avoid using a credit card tied to a bank account for online purchases if possible (one-time use redemption cards, disposable debit cards sold by various retailers etc.). But sometimes **** happens, and you make a mistake. 

As a closing I know that Warframe isn't a game like WoW where hundreds of hours of gameplay can just be given away to another account, but I like my accounts across all my games to be secure, and I want them to fight any attackers to my things to the best of their abilities. I don't want NSA grade security making logging in a nightmare, but I just want some extra layers of security in case I ever make a stupid mistake and have my computer compromised again in the future. 

That's all I have for now, but if I think of more I'll edit the OP. Thanks for reading this far if you have.

Edited by DavidSPD

• 3 weeks later...

I was just about to make a thread related to the login names being the same as ingame names. I'm glad I decided to keeping scrolling down and found this, I agree with you.

When I signed up for this site I had assume I would be asked to give a; Nickname (for forums) after I chose an email and acc name etc. To my surprise no. Then even worst, when I launched the game, my name is there again. I thought I would be able to name my char anything I want.

Other forums generally give you the ability to have different forum name from your login name. Even sites with option for email or login name.

I'm highly disappointed even though I think most people here don't care.

I come from RPG genre where login names are precious because lowlifes spend all day figuring out how to steal your accounts and such. 

There's no second password needed ingame, like a 5 digit random box number generator either. So basically if someone guess your info, you're phucked...

That only means more work for DE since people will send in support tickets and such. That's a waste of time, time equal money...

Again, others may not care but please fix this for those that do and for those that are naive to the issues.

I thought such a feature would be a basic feature anyway.

Forum names ftw plos  :D