Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Expanding The Aura System.

Rhorge

I was thinking about making Warframes have playstyles that are more unique to one another. More specifically, I was thinking that passives would be a good idea. This is where the aura system comes to play: each warframe could have a unique aura they can use that would set it apart from others and would help breaking the energy siphon mania.

What do you have in mind?

Something other than just stat boosts. New mechanics that would look somewhat like these:

Saryn: small dot affecting nearby enemies.
Excalibur: Melee kill increases movement speed.
Ember: attacks set enemies on fire dealing a stackable dot.
Volt: Rate of fire increases after using an ability.
Trinity: Killing enemies while on low life grants life.

PS: They are just suggestions, not my expectations

Why is this a good idea?

The current synergy between Warframes is a bit lacking to say the least. This would create interaction beyond simple cc like Mag's pull and add the possibility of crafting more complex builds and strategies.

Edited by Rhorge

Warframes should be different in playstyle, but not through auras.

Their abilities should be completely unique and the first of their kind, like Link, Decoy, Radial Disarm, Drop and others.

Fireball, Freeze, and Shock are all reskins, and it's where frames stop being so unique. If you're going to make frames unique, fix the reskinned abilities.

Care to explain why?

What does an aura do to change your gameplay? What are you going to do to make it so?

We have energy regain, health increased, rifle amp, melee increase damage, health regen, and pretty much we can't have much else.

I see no way an aura can make a frame more unique. It won't change gameplay, it'll just simply add a stat here or there.

Well, just a thought, but say in the case of Rhino, he's tanky right? Well his specific aura could be to reduce incoming damage by x%. It wouldn't be outrageous, but at max it could be 10%?

I see what they're getting at, and it could be neat.

Edited by Tortured_Reaver

What does an aura do to change your gameplay? What are you going to do to make it so?

We have energy regain, health increased, rifle amp, melee increase damage, health regen, and pretty much we can't have much else.

I see no way an aura can make a frame more unique. It won't change gameplay, it'll just simply add a stat here or there.

I have faith that professionals hired by DE would have ideas but if you want to hear mine I'll give a few:

Saryn: slmall dot affecting nearby enemies.

Those sort of frame themed bonuses would work nicely. Some current ones could be reworked into the system

I have faith that professionals hired by DE would have ideas but if you want to hear mine I'll give a few:

Saryn: slmall dot affecting nearby enemies.

Those sort of frame themed bonuses would work nicely. Some current ones could be reworked into the system

those are good examples

Maybe each frame could have two passive abilities to choose from, an offensive one and a defensive one. eg saryn: either poison resist or poison damage for the squad. Maybe these passive abilities should create a small energy drain ? 0.2/sec or something. That way we get to put Flow to good use and need to adjust our build in accordance. Though I don't feel those PA should cost modslots, they need to have a cost somehow. An energy drain seems like the best way. Would like to see more ideas on the subject, as I believe it would fir right in the Coop mood of the game, and add more personality to our warframes.

Maybe each frame could have two passive abilities to choose from, an offensive one and a defensive one. eg saryn: either poison resist or poison damage for the squad. Maybe these passive abilities should create a small energy drain ? 0.2/sec or something. That way we get to put Flow to good use and need to adjust our build in accordance. Though I don't feel those PA should cost modslots, they need to have a cost somehow. An energy drain seems like the best way. Would like to see more ideas on the subject, as I believe it would fir right in the Coop mood of the game, and add more personality to our warframes.

No, that would overcomplicate things, I believe that adding mods with negative effects would not fit in with the system well. If they are simple auras they will act like small sweet boosts without making it overly important to minmax until you hit endgame stuff like high defense waves. Current auras are rather lackluster and 90% of people just go with energy siphon anyway, that is the primary reason for my suggestion: more aura variety and synergy without turning builds upside down.

I think this could work. Auras giving effects like health-leech/buff-after-kill are only more interesting than the flat increases in rifle/melee damage etc that current Auras have. I daresay they'd change gameplay more than current Auras. Having a Volt on the team (and assuming the OP's suggestion) would greatly encourage power use within the team, more so than Energy Siphon would.

I think this could work. Auras giving effects like health-leech/buff-after-kill are only more interesting than the flat increases in rifle/melee damage etc that current Auras have. I daresay they'd change gameplay more than current Auras. Having a Volt on the team (and assuming the OP's suggestion) would greatly encourage power use within the team, more so than Energy Siphon would.

But everyone will still spam powers reguardless.

It's just another stat to keep you kicking longer.

But everyone will still spam powers reguardless.

It's just another stat to keep you kicking longer.

As the title states, I want the aura system to have some variety and alternatives to Energy Siphon. I am really not concerned what people do with their powers. Also it is not a stat, it is a new mechanic that potentially could alter gameplay to a large degree. I am really confused as to why you don't like the idea of more variety so much.