Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Some Thoughts on Archwing

sinZsoul

So first I want to go into what I think are the issues with archwing. I think currently there just aren't many things that make archwing fun and exciting for most players. There's too much of a grind wall without enough exclusive reward to warrant playing archwing. The reason most people grind in this game is to get to a reward. However, with the exception of POE, there's not much reason to grind an archwing and even then you really just need to get it to a point where you can slap a couple really basic mods on it.

So to make archwing better, you have to make it necessary for a reward that entices players. Possibly one way is to add better reward mods behind the archwing missions. But that wouldn't make any sense in game to get good player mods from an archwing mission. And good archwing mods aren't worth it since there's no reason to use archwing.

So what I was thinking is to create a racing mode for archwing. It would possibly require a redesign of the archwing abilities and possibly a rebalancing of their speed. However, I don't think adding mobility options to the archwings other than itzal will really upset anybody. Or you could just have like a couple archwings that everyone knows o hey this is a racing archwing.

There's ways even to balance the current archwings. You could make it so that you can attack other racers and change the damage you deal with that archwing to scale with the model. These are all basic ideas.

So that alone doesn't address the rewards issue behind archwing. No reason to grind them still. However, what if you tied the new game mode to a way to farm resources. Right now, there's no good way to farm basic resources that doesn't involve boss rushing until you're literally bored to death of the boss or sitting in a survival half afk. What if the racing was tied to a wager (like the index) where you can choose to wager different resources in return for even better rewards. What if you could even race other players for wagered resources (reward added to by a npc gambling pool). To mix up general non pvp racing, you could even add challenges to be completed in the race for even more resources. 

I've kinda just had this thought in the back of my head and wanted to get it out. There probably are holes in it, but hey, just wanted to see what the reaction was.

I like the idea, it would be a unique change up that could bring out some competitive teams or old lunaro squads. I would gear up for some races on a leaderboard, if its done right others would too.

I personally love the archwing in all its limited awesomeness, but the motivation is more nostalgia for me when it comes to doing the missions.

As for resources archwing missions could be used in alerts for hijacking freighters full of a resource. It could work like the nitain alerts, a couple times a day yielding a random bulk resource.

(maybe a small amount of credits too, really doesnt matter)

I also thought (very optimistically) of adding the option in grineer gallion/corpus ship tiles to exit through an airlock (only on a larger tile) and sabotage the ships systems. Make the enemies focus on you and not your team or deactivate alarms in the area???

Im at a roadblock thinking of what would work and what wouldnt as a whole, archwing does deserve another look. Hopefully with PoE and PoV content sky/shark/archwing can be made into something more than M.R. grind and a occasional utility.

Bring on the arch-race for real though, im ready to go tron up in here.

• 2 weeks later...

I actually agree with this. (I was going to post about it, but I thought about actually searching for similar posts first 🙂 )

The major problem with Archwings is the lack of thrill. It's... "Fly there, gun stuff down, fly to the next spot." There's no reward for exploring a little like there is in regular missions, and I cannot get myself to be interested in modding an Archwing. Only reason I care right now is because I want Atlas, and Jordas Precept is a pain without good Archwing gear.

There's a lot to be done with it, and hopefully, Railjack will come with some of that, but who knows, really. Here's a list of what could actually be fun with Archwing, according to me: Feel free to comment on any or all of it 🙂

• Access to regular weaponry. I don't see why I have to leave my beloved Drakgoon at home to use a barely passable Arch-gun that has access to less mods than it has any right to.
  • Actually reward exploration. If I go at the end of a long hallway with obstacles in the way, why do I not have a chance at finding Tellurium? Why do I have to do all the way back to the actual path with only sadness that I wasted time as my reward?
  • Some better cross-section locations. See Uranus? Well, why don't we have more of THAT, with actual rewards for doing crap and exploring would do a long way.
  • A more accessible Archwing boss fight would be grandiose. I actually like the idea of getting good enough at Archwing to actually fight bosses, but I think there's one, and I'm not even sure as I never even went into it yet (Jordas Golem Assassinate).
  • Access to your Warframe's abilities while in Archwing. Not that the Archwings' abilities aren't useful, far from it, but I feel like having the choice to use either set at all would be great.