Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Add Fog

TroostMe

A lot of use here are probably poor and have on board graphics. Adding fog will optimize game play and make WarFrame's community grow. Please let me know if you agree. Even adding lower graphics settings along side this would help a ton.

For users without a high graphics driven machine, it is very frustrating getting lag in big rooms. So if you have fog the game will run smoother (optimized) and more people will play if they make it so all machines can run it (community)

Fog is usually used to obfuscate distant rendering cut-off, which in turn helps people who have poor GPU capabilities. I'd assume "community grow" meant having more people playing - those who have low-end rigs that is not enough for the game at the moment.

Now for my opinion: No.

I do agree with the reducing settings as I said. But I was saying the fog would not really affect you in small rooms because the render distance would render the full room, but in large rooms it would render a reduced amount. So you will have a constant distance of sight. But I feel if you use the two together some toasters could run this game. And there is nothing wrong with toasters running this, toasters are cheap.

Could you explain why you would not go for this? I don't see how it is going to harm anyone. It wouldn't take long to develop and it would do nothing but help.

Personal. My preferred weapon is a sniper. I want more open space, long distance fights. Adding fog reduces (if not removes) their freedom in designing such levels.

That's not to mention if the engine doesn't support such feature, it has to be remade, which is not easy.

Personal. My preferred weapon is a sniper. I want more open space, long distance fights. Adding fog reduces (if not removes) their freedom in designing such levels.

That's not to mention if the engine doesn't support such feature, it has to be remade, which is not easy.

I have not even looked into what engine the game was developed with, I appreciate you pointing that out. But I feel like something could be done as far as optimizing goes. I feel if we just get their attention they will help us out. The fog also would be optional. For me a sniper would do nothing when I am running 2 fps in a large room. I really have not played the game that long I just thought I would suggest this because it is nice to give feedback :D I guess I will look more into how the game is developed so I can give more technical advice. I am a programer so it will be something to do

This game already has fog.  Problem is, it doesn't help with rendering distances.  The other problem is that fog doesn't work well with skyboxes, the way this game is implemented.  You're going to see a wall of deep space and stars (without any evidence of fog) on the other end of a foggy tile, which would be terrible.

This game already has fog.  Problem is, it doesn't help with rendering distances.  The other problem is that fog doesn't work well with skyboxes, the way this game is implemented.  You're going to see a wall of deep space and stars (without any evidence of fog) on the other end of a foggy tile, which would be terrible.

That would be terrible, I did not really do any research as far as the possibilities. I just though I would suggest the idea. But I feel like if there were enough people together that actually knew something about the game engine we could think of some great ways to optimize gaming quickly and effectively while affecting the game play minimally. 

+1 for camera culling range (with fog or not)

As long as it cuts off the draw calls of the polys past that point, its a performance boost.

For those who havnt a clue what iam on about, "Visible Distance" option in most games.

Edited by Fourdee

Saying that, and, considering this game is CPU limited.

This option wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to performance lol

Is there a possibility of just have textures and detail out of range just to a minimal. So it would be visible but not detailed at all at a long range? I do not know how much that would actually help but I am trying to think of ways to make game play smoother without fog.

Yeah, as others have already said, fog only helps performance when the maps are large (and most of Warframe takes place in small rooms).  Not to mention that rendering detailed fog would actually hinder performance (similar to how people get performance drops on ice levels). 

That being said, I actually want fog (the high-performance kind).  It would really help with the atmosphere of Infested levels.  Plus, we could have swamp / sewer levels!  But it needs to be an option which can be disabled (since a lot of people already have performance issues as it is). 

Yeah, as others have already said, fog only helps performance when the maps are large (and most of Warframe takes place in small rooms).  Not to mention that rendering detailed fog would actually hinder performance (similar to how people get performance drops on ice levels). 

That being said, I actually want fog (the high-performance kind).  It would really help with the atmosphere of Infested levels.  Plus, we could have swamp / sewer levels!  But it needs to be an option which can be disabled (since a lot of people already have performance issues as it is). 

I see how this could help you and me at the same time, fog being able to graphically change with a slider so it could either add detail or lower detail. So a very straight forward fog would be more efficient for people that have weak pc's and a detailed fog for people with good pc's to enhance your gameplay. A fog thickness option and fog detail option. I think that's what they should add, let me know if you agree.