Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Sniper Warframe: Gungnir (And His Little Friend)

Cptcuddlybuns

(Edit: added two more powers)

GUNGNIR Is an update of a previous design I posted here. He (or she, I don't judge) is a high-damage warframe, but can't take many hits himself. Gungnir would be geared towards taking out priority targets (heavy gunners, techs, ancients, bosses, and such).

Rough Stats:

Health: 100

Shields: 75

Armor: 50 (200 with Bunker down, but only from the front)

Powers:

Steady Shot: Gungnir fires a precise shot at his target, piercing shields and teaching his enemies the wisdom of keeping their heads down. Single-target snipe that takes a percentage of enemy health, and breaks shields. Upgrading increases percentage. Punctures several enemies in a row. (10/30/50) (would not affect bosses). 

Focus: Gungnir instills a predatory calm in his teammates, heightening their perceptions and giving them time to line up their shots. Time slows down, and enemy weak points glow. Upgrading increases range. (Unlike Banshee, doesn't make weak points, just makes them impossible to miss).

Spot/Mark: When Gungnir sets his sights on a target, every shot counts. Target shows up on minimap, takes increased damage, glows. Upgrading increases damage multiplier.

Bunker Down: Enemies of the Tenno often speak of an impenetrable shadow on the battlefield, the last thing they never see. Gungir drops to one knee in a stable stance, increasing armor and activating a (minor) stealth field. He also pulls out his HAMR rifle. Power lasts until either the timer runs out, the HAMR runs dry, or the player runs away. Upgrading gives more time/rounds. 

Possible other powers:

Gravitation: Gungnir takes to the skies, raining death from above. Either he walks on the ceiling, or (if in an open-sky area), walks upside-down on a gravity well. Better positioning, you know? Upgrading improves time. (Drops to the floor if he jumps).

ClaymoreNow you see him, now you're dead. Drops an explosive on the ground, with a decoy on top. Decoy only lasts until detonation. Upgrading improves damage, adds status effects. 

Tech ShotGungnir takes full advantage of the tools at his disposal. Does a high-damage hit that takes on the elemental effect of his primary (if there is none, does a random proc). Upgrading increases damage.

Body Trap: Not even the dead are free from the hunter. Plants proximity mines on all dead bodies in the area. upgrading improves damage/radius. (could also only affect a certain number of enemies). 

CrippleA shot to the leg can be just as effective as one to the head. Slows an enemy and has a chance to seriously injure, periodically knocking them down and adding a bleed effect. Upgrading improves chance of major injury.

Appearance:

Covered in Ghilie mesh, has armor plates that fit together when Bunker Down is activated. Head is a gas-mask style face with a monocular on the right side. Very thin, fairly short. Has a hood for a scarf syandana. On the small of his back is a box with a grip, that expands during Bunker Down (and possibly certain other powers) into the HAMR, a gigantic sniper rifle. 

Bonus sentinel: The Spotter (name pending)

Passive ability: marks close-by enemies on the map.

Active ability: Buff the player's weapon when health gets below half.

Appearance: Either a spiky cylinder (think the open Citadel from Mass Effect) or a four-pointed star with the arms slowly spinning. 

Weapon: Piledriver sniper rifle

(Note: if anyone is an artist and likes the idea of this, could you find it in your heart to make me an image? I tried and...uughghhghg. Thanks).

Other concepts:

Chronos: Time-based warframe

Dragen: self-harm emo 'Frame

Klept: power-stealing warframe (coming soon)

Edited by Cptcuddlybuns

Isn't Gungnir a spear? I'm not nitpicking, but it sounds like a tanker name. Though some game rifles have been named gungnir, as a frame I see it as a melee type with polearms.

Hmm, why not Atalanta? The myth coincides with an archer, plus IMHO we need more girls in the game. Having Atalanta as a sniper with high speed movement and sniping skills IMO better coincides with your concept.

Isn't Gungnir a spear? I'm not nitpicking, but it sounds like a tanker name. Though some game rifles have been named gungnir, as a frame I see it as a melee type with polearms.

Hmm, why not Atalanta? The myth coincides with an archer, plus IMHO we need more girls in the game. Having Atalanta as a sniper with high speed movement and sniping skills IMO better coincides with your concept.

Gungnir was Odin's spear. The reason I chose it was because it's thing was that it never misses. Never heard of Atlanta. I'll look 'er up.

Gungnir was Odin's spear. The reason I chose it was because it's thing was that it never misses. Never heard of Atlanta. I'll look 'er up.

Yeah, I gathered that much. There are several mentionable weapons in Norse Mythology (the most famous being Mjolnir), but I can't remember a bow.

Perhaps you could have better luck with Irish lore like Claiomh Solais and Brionac. There! Brionac I think is better since it's a spear that is guaranteed to hit it's target.

As for Atalanta (it's actually spelled with 4 a's), she's a mortal renowned for archery and her foot speed in Greek Mythology.

Whilst I like the idea of the frame, I have a few concerns.

1. How would Steady Shot be useful? Unless the percentage capped at 100%, I can't see this power being all that useful. At low levels, it would be more efficient just to shoot the enemy dead, and at stupidly high levels where guns become less effective you would still be unable to kill the enemy with this power and still have to work your way through shields to kill it. Simply put, how do you kill anything with this?

2. Spot/Mark - Very similar to Bullet Attractor and could suffer the same drawbacks. First off is it randomly picked or target enemy? For if it was random this would be extremely situational, as you might want it to target a heavy and you end up marking a roller. How would this skill become power-efficient? The main drawback of bullet attractor is that it is very costly for a single target debuff. Would it be cheap? Or would Mark be able to "hop" to multiple enemies, so you kill one, then it Marks another, and another?

3. Bunker Down - Am I to understand that this is invisibility, but you are stationary with a Frame-Locked powerful Sniper (as Ash's blades and Valkyr's fists are frame locked)? I like the idea, but it would have to be complete invisibilty or you would have to be given the option to move (even if slowly). The power would become useless if you started getting attacked with no way to move until the duration of the power is up.

Overall, I really like the idea of the Warframe at heart, I really feel we need some gun-oriented frame in the game to compliment Valkyr. My main concern however is that it doesn't fit the pace that has been set in Warframe and it feels very much aimed at high level content. Unless Stealth become truly core to Warframe, I I can't see this frame being able to keep up with other Warframes in terms of damage output in the majority of content, or being all that noob friendly.

Whilst I like the idea of the frame, I have a few concerns.

1. How would Steady Shot be useful? Unless the percentage capped at 100%, I can't see this power being all that useful. At low levels, it would be more efficient just to shoot the enemy dead, and at stupidly high levels where guns become less effective you would still be unable to kill the enemy with this power and still have to work your way through shields to kill it. Simply put, how do you kill anything with this?

2. Spot/Mark - Very similar to Bullet Attractor and could suffer the same drawbacks. First off is it randomly picked or target enemy? For if it was random this would be extremely situational, as you might want it to target a heavy and you end up marking a roller. How would this skill become power-efficient? The main drawback of bullet attractor is that it is very costly for a single target debuff. Would it be cheap? Or would Mark be able to "hop" to multiple enemies, so you kill one, then it Marks another, and another?

3. Bunker Down - Am I to understand that this is invisibility, but you are stationary with a Frame-Locked powerful Sniper (as Ash's blades and Valkyr's fists are frame locked)? I like the idea, but it would have to be complete invisibilty or you would have to be given the option to move (even if slowly). The power would become useless if you started getting attacked with no way to move until the duration of the power is up.

Overall, I really like the idea of the Warframe at heart, I really feel we need some gun-oriented frame in the game to compliment Valkyr. My main concern however is that it doesn't fit the pace that has been set in Warframe and it feels very much aimed at high level content. Unless Stealth become truly core to Warframe, I I can't see this frame being able to keep up with other Warframes in terms of damage output in the majority of content, or being all that noob friendly.

In the original plan, Steady Shot was more of a finisher/weakening power. The cap, I would think, would be around 40-50%. You fire it off at an enemy, and you can cut down it's health so that when you DO get through its shields, it's not so much of a pain. Maybe it breaking their shield entirely would be better, but that might be into OP-territory.

Spot would be targeted, you aim at an enemy and activate (my idea for the animation would be a targeting laser coming out of the monocular). It wouldn't jump, but it would be extremely cheap, maybe 20-30 energy. Use it on a boss, and voila, death. 

On the Bunker Down front, you're about right. It's not total invincibility, it's just massive damage resistance (but only from the front), partial invisibility, and an extremely high-damage rifle, much like the Valkyr claws/Ash knives. I was thinking a good addition would be a button you could press to immediately get back up, but it shouldn't last that long anyway. It's original purpose was to either blast away a boss, or hold down an area (with maybe a puncture effect).

Thanks for the feedback, it's nice to see the flaws in my ideas so I can try to fix them. Happy thanksgiving!

• 3 weeks later...

I like it, Seems like a good idea for the warframe, Lot of thought put in, I was confused about how Hunker down worked until I read about the box on his back expanding into the special sniper rifle, Very cool to read about the idea of this warframe.

I like this, though at first I sorta expected Steady Shot to be a sort of hitscan version of Shuriken or Psychic Bolt, just with one bullet that got progressively more powerful. I see what you meant with not making it get too much more powerful than a normal shot since spamming it might render normal shooting useless, though personally I think at max upgrade it should do at least some percent above normal damage- 120%, perhaps?

But yeah, a Sniper frame does sound rather interesting.

At max rank it takes %50 of health, meaning two shots kills anything that's not a boss. I think that's pretty damn powerful. But the power-upgrading mods still affect it. I'm terrible at balance, so I usually don't put any stats in, Sorry.

Edited by Cptcuddlybuns