Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Proper Story

Morkislair

WondaBoah mentioned an orokin boss to give an endgame in his topic regarding Void keys and all, and to this I said that to have an endgame, one must have a proper story. I'd like to dig a little in that now.

Note that I only give path and thoughts on what I believe being doable.

First and foremost, as of today, there is no story when we play Warframe. There is context, yes, there is lore, but that makes no story. There are, at best, context related events that develop it, but nothing like story arcs or the like; yet. Again, I don't know if DE has something properly cooked for this, I'm just giving my thoughts and ideas on the matter.

Second, I don't think that the story of Warframe should rely on the warring factions and the balance the Lotus works for. It would alter the status quo and/or drastically modify the solar system equilibrium, and unbalance the context for newcomers and returning players. Thus, imho, a proper story would have to be a personal quest.

Third, the good thing is, one path is given with the first sentences we hear from the Lotus: our lost memory. The Warframe story could be the Tenno's quest to regain their long lost memories, to fill the gaps and holes.

To achieve this, is Affinity. in the first entry of my story driven blog on warframe linked below, I said, without even deeply thinking about it " The only thing I can remember is how to wield the sword and the gun, for it is not mastery I gain when I fight: it is memory". So one would have to fight, to do what we already do to reclaim his memories.

Then, once in a while when a Tenno gains a new mastery rank, it unlocks a memory mission that gives some clues. The first ones are blurry and elusive, and the second is about another memory entirely, so the hole remains fathom and mysterious for a while, and that would make high mastery ranks something more than a nice number.

And, a system like this would allow people who don't care at all to completely ignore those aspects of the game.

But for this to work, there are two characters who would gain tremendous importance in those: The Lotus and the Stalker. Considering their lore and what remains unknown about them, what we can suspect and such, this could be very interesting if pulled of right.

And, for a proper endgame, one could imagine something like Wondaboah's idea: some kind of Orokin controlled boss, deep in the Void. But I daresay one would have to gain access to that boss, and it shouldn't be easy. Plus, I am inclined to  think that we shouldn't see any actual orokin. Not seeing them makes the most of their mystery. All we see is what they built, and make hypothesis with what we did in the Void as Tennos, and our true links with that place. If we were to actually see one of the Orokin... It would kill the magic, I think.

This boss could be something like a central neural sentry locking access to something we need to complete our memories. Beating it could make the player learn what happened to the Orokin, where did they go...

And why not, giving them first steps access to an orokin world in the Void for very high level missions, always with the orokin remaing invisible, fighting with pawns they generate from our very memories.

I think something like this could be interesting.

What do you think?

http://tenno.canalblog.com/