Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Last Of The Pangolian Knights

Mama_Sasha

the_last_of_the_pangolian_knights_by_ceb

''Let me tell you a story, my story, on how i came to The Lotus, how i became one with the
Tenno. You might be far to young to remember us, and i think even your ancestors dont
remember us, but we, The Pangolian Knights, where one of a thousand Tenno clans back in
the day. At the time, we didnt had the Grineer, or the Corpus, and the Orokin where long
gone when we flurished.

There are very few artifacts of our old clan scattered around the system.
The Pangolin Sword is one of them, and if you find one, consider yourself
honored of carry one of our sacred weapons.

But later in our lives, The infested came and slaughtered us, dwindling our numbers.
They destroyed all the clans i knew of, ranging from the new ones, to the oldest,
one by one. All the mightiest Tennos fell to the infested, and after years of extermination,
it was only us left, The Pangolian Knights.

Unlike many, we where the strongest of the clans. Our warriors where the strongest.
We where more than able to defeat the infested, but there was one problem, it
was only 5 of us left, 6 if you count our clan leader, who currently is sick and very
weak.

Me, an Oberon, and 4 other Tennos, where all arguing about our fate in the future.
It wasnt difficult to see, that our clan was doomed. The big guy in the group
(Let us say my era's version of Rhino), was trying to convince us that
we need ot hide if we want to survive, but this was not an option.
The infested will find us eventualy.

2 of them, twins, masters of stealth and agility, where like sisters to me, as we
where close as sibblings, tried to argue to the big guy that if nobody tries to
stop the infested, everything will be gone.

The last one, an old veteran tenno, was silent. He was sitting in the corner, accepting
his fate of death. As a Pangolian Knight, i can only agree with the twins.
If nobody stopped the infested, our fight would be for nothing.
I raised my voice to get everyone's attention.

*Please listen. The twins are right. We might be doomed, but if nobody stops the
infested, our fight would have been for nothing.* i said in a clear voice.
*What do you want us to do? We are outnumbered by billions.* the big guy
replied in a raspy, angry voice.

*I dont know, but how is the infested connected to eachother? Is there not a hive
mind of some sort that commands them?* i asked. The twins then replied to my
question, in their usual synched voices *Hivemind yes. Thyskonde, is acting as a
hivemind, controlling every infested at its whim.
One of the older clans found it and reported back before
they went extinct. What do you suggest knight brother?*.

I then replied with a secure voice, trying to make it convincing *I belive that
if we strike at the very heart, we can defeat the infested. We already know where
the hivemind is located based on the other clans that found it.
We might be doomed, but defeating the infested means that others will live on.*.

As silence was filling the room, it was shortly aborted by the old veteran's
footsteps. *The young one is right. We are doomed for sure, but destroying Tyskonde
means saving the lives of others, giving them a chance to live on.
I am to old to live on further, but my life is on the battlefield. I was born in it, and
i sall fall in it. Whatever you 3 might decide, i will go with the young one
here. he knows how to follow our honor code.* he said as he walking towards us, joining me
by my side.

The 3 other tennos where silent, but the twins joined my sugestion.
The big guy was douptful for a moment, but he then said to all of us
*I guess i dont have any other choice, besides, you need my strength.
If i am going to die today, i may do so with my honor intact.*.

So it was decided. We made preperations to strike the hivemind at its core.
We went to our ship and went to the very core of the infested, a moon, orbiting
a once blue planet, was visibly very organic from this distance.

¨Will i fall today? Will i die at the very core of the infested? Or die at the very
entrance? or live on?¨ So many questions filled my head as we where headed to the moon.
Once we landed and stepped out, we where greeted, ''warmly'' by the infested by
their rage, and we where attacked. We unsheated out weapons and attacked them.

Their swarms where in battalions by the looks of it. I did my best with my healing abilities
to keep my allies alive. It looked like that there was no end in sight of the infested, as
they kept on comming. *I will stay here and kepe them busy! The rest of you, get to the core!
now!* Said the big guy as he was unloading his massive weapon against the infested.

As much as we hated it, we agreed and carried on into the hive itself.
*Bring it on you monsters! TAKE ME!* Yelled the big guy loud as he was activating his
Hercules Form, and charged right into the swarm.
I looked back as we where running towards the hive. All i saw was infested, and many of them
where flying into the air as the big guy was throwing them around.

We entered what appears to be the remains of a once tenno base.
As we entered it, the doorway collapsed, but not for nothing. Apparently,
2 unique infested closed it off, both equaly agile as the twins.
The twins said to me and the old veteran *Go on forth, we deal with them!*.

We did as they said and continued on, and we heard their fighting in the comms.
We killed many infested along the way into the core.
*Well, seems my...time has come...* said the big guy in the comms.
*I tell you this kid, i....(screams)* before he could say something,
he suddenly started to scream, and the comm channel went silent.

We finaly got to what appears to be a massive blast door, and we could hear massive
heart beats from it. *Hey twins, we are at appears to be the main gate to the core.
How is it going ove there?* i said to the twins from my com channel.

no answer. *damn it.* I said, smashing my fist into the
titanium wall behind me, presuming they where dead.

The old veteran went to me, placed his hand on my shoulder, and said *It is almost over.
If we survive, we will mourn them, honor them.*.
We went and opened the blast door, and we saw, something we never imagen to see.
What we saw was not the typical infested, but this, was hell itself.

Tyskonde, this massive beast was mostly a huge pile of meat, but it had maybe a hundred of
arms, each had a head that looked animal like. *Alright young one, let see if this old veteran
still has it.* Said the old veteran and charged into the beast. I backed him up by firing on the arms
to make sure that he was not shot by them. It seems that these animal like arms are spitting out
toxic darts.

One of these darts however, managed to hit me, and the pain was greater than what i has ever felt before.
The old veteran was slicing with his weapon like it was no tomorrow. That old fool really has seen alot
of action, and knew what he was doing. But, even the best would fall one day, and that day did come, and
one of the animal like arms, pierced him like a spear, made him scream for a short moment.

I went and cut that very arm with my sword, causing the hivemind to scream in pain in a very dark, monster
like voice. I turned my way to the monster. It seems that each time it started to scream, it opends up what appears
to be its core, a blue glowing eye it seems.

This gave me an idea. I went and sliced another arm, and sprinted at full speed towards the best as it was screaming in
pain, but this didnt stopped it from firing its darts at me.

I jumped high into the air, sliced 2 more arms, and as soon as it opened its ''eye'', i smited it wiht all my power.
It made out its last dark scream as it was dying, and its scream got darker and more quiet.
The eye got darker, and it finaly, died.

Now, the monster was just a massive pile of dead meat, or so i thought. It began to dissolve into ash.
I went to the old veteran, and i think he is on his last legs. I held him as he was dying, brething his
last breath. *Heh, not bad for a youngster. I would not be suprised if you live as long as i did.
Now, i can finaly die in peace, knowing that the infested wont harm anyone anymore.* the old veteran said
with his last, dying breath.

He later died in my arms, as i felt how his body became a lifeless shell.
I placed him in a peaceful position on the floor. I looked back where the monster once was,
and to my suprise, there was 1 head of one of those animal like arms left alive.
It was struggling to keep itself alive and trying to move.

It was colorless, wheezing in pain. I stod infront of it, looking at it, watching it suffer.
At this point, i could easly just crush it with my feet, or destroy it with my sidearm, but i coludnt,
since for some reason, i didn't want to.

I picked it up, observing it upclose. When i held it, changed its shape a bit, and the back of it,
resembles a sidearm handle and a trigger. Upon placing my hand into it and holding it like a sidearm, the
head was changing color, into the same color theme as my Warframe. I felt a strange sensation when it's tail
swinged around my arm gently. Did it accepted me as its new master?

All i could do now, is to return home to the now dead dojo, well, almost dead, as our sick dojo warlord is still
there. I landed the ship in the dojo's hanger, and went to see my master.
And there he was, still in the bed, unable to move.

*Master, i have some good news, and bad news.* i said to him as i walked towards him.
*Tell me the news son.* he replied. *The good news are that the infested are no more.
They will never harm anyone anymore.* i explained with, as i could judge as a combination of
joy and sadness.

*But....the bad news is, that i am the last one that came back.* i continued.
My master was silent for a bit, but then he said this to me *So, our clan is
finaly put at rest. Without any members, the Pangolian Knights are no more.
You are still alive, but that alone cant keep the clan alive.
I am about to die of this sickness, thus making it impossible to train new
members. But i have one, last final request as a warlord.*.

A bit of silence was in the room, but my master then continued
*In my private quarters, there is a locker that holds a powerful artifact that
has been kept and given to new warlords of The Pangolian Knights.
I wont have any use for it, and there wont be any new warlords anytime soon.
You will have great use for it when you will cleans the remaining infested.
The locker that holds the artifact is ID locked, but it will deactivate once my
vital signs are gone. Young one, live long and strong.....live long....and...........*.

Before he could say his final word, his vital signs faded.
I felt how empty i became inside, knowing that i am the very last of my kind, the very
last of The Pangolian Knights. I placed my master's hands on his chest, bowed a last time to him, and
left the room.

I went to his private quaters, and found the locker. Indeed, it had a ID lock, but it was inactive.
I opened the locker, and found what appears to be a sword, but nothing i ever seen before.
I used my scanner, and it registered as ''Jaw Sword''. As i held the sword in my hand, i felt a strong,
vibrant energy comming from it. indeed, this weapon was certainly not for the common warrior, but for true
masters.

From that day, i have been killing the remaining infested that was scattered around the system.
The small creature i aquired from the Tyskonde worked just the same as it did before, firing toxic
darts, that suprsingly worked great against infested, and the Jaw Sword was amazing on its own, slicing and
cutting even the strongest of the infested.

Then, after many years of killing, the system was empty, no more infested was left alive.
I felt that my heart was at ease knowing that there is no infested left, but one thing that
frightened me. There was no signal on the comms.

I knew that the lesser species are alive, but non of them where advanced enough for space flight.
With The Pangolian Knights disbanded, and the infested now defeated, i had no other purpose in life.
I traveled from planet to planet, observing, admiring, and protecting the primitive life of the planets, as a
guardian.

This went on for a few hundred years, but then, as i was about to accept the fact that i would live my life like this
forever, my comms went insane. I checked the comm system, and apparently, new space factions have emerged.
I was suprised to hear that the infested have returned, and people are getting killed by them.
This made it all clear to me, my purpose is clear.

I opened a com channel for anyone to answer, and the first one to do so, was a strange looking fellow in a square
steel helmet. *Ah, now you are an interesting induvidual. Never seen your kind before. you dont seem to be like
the betrayers. As you may have noticed, we have, an infestation going on, and we would gladly accept your
help and we will, compensate for your help.* the square helmet man said.

*Before i do, tell me, who are you and who are these betrayers you talk about?* i asked him.
*We are The Corpus, merchants. The betrayers i mentioned are like you, tennos, but they are
not to be trusted, as they betrayed their masters. Now, the real problem is the infested right now.
Help us and we will gladly reward you.*.

For me, i dont need any reward to keep me motivated, but, whatever they might offer, it might be
usefull for me against the infested.

From that day, i have been working for the Corpus on removing the infested in many of their outposts and
planets. The more i helped them, the better the ''reward'' they gave me. 
Most of the time that i didnt worked for the corpus, i was freelancing around the system, killing the infested.

One day, i came into contact with The Lotus, well, she contacted me. *Oberon, The last of The Pangolian Knights.
We offer you to join us to fight for justice. Your abilties would greatly be appreciated. We can offer something
that others cant, a home.* was her words as she spoke to me.

*Who is this? And what do you mean, a home?* i asked her, demanding an answer from this
mysterious figure. *I am your friend and you can trust me, but the question is, can i?
If you truly are an Pangolian Knight, you can do prove so to me, by doing us a favor.
There is an Orokin ship that is controlled by the infested. If you clean it out for us, you
will be warmly wellcome to us.*.

And from that day, i had 2 choices. Either ignore her message, or join this new clan
of Tenno. I have been alone for a hundred years, and begin within a clan could make me
feel more at home, but it wont be the same as my old one, but joining this clan would beat
being alone.

The thing was, that The Lotus also told me, that the clan she is inviting me to, has no name, nor a leader, thus,
she grants me the responsibility. I am no leader by any means, but, rebuilding my old clan again?
If the infested is a problem again, i be doing what would be for the best.

*How much power do i have over this clan?* i asked The Lotus for confirmation.
*Everything. The clan is your responsibility, and only yours alone if you may choose. As a Warlord, what will
be your first choice?* responded Lotus, ended with a question.

the thoughts of my old clan appeared in my mind again. While non of my old clan mates are alive anymore, the
name is still alive. For this reason, i made my choice. *My first choice, is to give the clan a name.* i responded.

*Which is?* The Lotus asked.

*The Pangolian Knights*.''
----
Any comments and critics? I know my grammer sucks for sure since i am swedish, and english is not my native languagde.

If you like it and want me to write some more, give me a shot and i see what i can come up with :)

PS: If you like to join the actual clan, The Pangolian Knights, check this thread here https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/196322-the-pangolian-knights-are-now-recruiting/?p=2281369
Edited by Cebius