Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Codex, And The Lack Of Necessary Info

PhoenixShi

The core of this is how badly the Codex was implemented, and how important info like how our skills and such work exactly isn't shown, but really should be shown if we are to make proper decisions. The Wiki is good, but after DE apparently changed things so people can't data mine the game, it over time will become increasingly less reliable as they can't update such specific info, if they can't see it. Then if they're going to put something like the Codex in the game anyhow, they may as well use it to its full potential, in a manner that would benefit the player.

Info books like the Codex are always a great idea in more involved games, if you've ever played Atlantica Online, you may very well have regarded its fantastic highly cross referenced info book as one of its best features. If DE wants to see how to implement something like the Codex into a game, they really need to download Atlantica Online, and start taking notes.

Here, the basis of the Codex is scanning. Scanning is slow, annoying, and goes completely against how we are to play a fast paced game like this. Rather than scanning, info should just be added based on something we'd do in the course of normal game play, like the number of kills we've made on mobs, and times we've interacted with items like containers, terminals, and so forth. After enough kills/interactions, we have all the info. This method fits into game play well, and we could then even use it as a kill counter to see how many times we've killed each mob later if it kept recording that.

When we look at the mods list, if we have that mod, it shows all the info, if we haven't gotten it, we could see what drops it, and its name, but that's about it. It's fine to indicate if we don't have it, but if we have to go out and farm for something, we really should see what it is, so we know if we even want it. Look at the weapon list, it's very helpful when figuring out what we want to get, and it shows full info on things we don't have.

Mission rewards should be shown, since they're listing where each prime item drops here on the forums anyhow, they may as well just provide it in game. Showing this would also help complete the mod info, as it is now we have plenty that don't show where they come from. This could be added after we've done each mission type enough times.

Info on our skills is especially vague, much of the time the pop-up saying what increasing the level of the mod will do is the most helpful part of it, although not all have that pop-up, like Valkyr's War Cry, just look at that mod, and try to figure out what it's suppose to do. The specifics of our skills is completely hidden from us, and that's a big problem when trying to figure out what we should be doing. Just imagine what it would be like without the Wiki when it comes to skill mods, now think about how people apparently can't data mine the game any more, so the Wiki info shown can't be accurately updated as things change. Also right now there's a problem with Valkyr's Hysteria skill, I'll bet it's just a bug as it's not working properly with the new melee system, but since we can't actually see what the skill is suppose to do, many are assuming DE ninja nerfed it.

Helmets are another place where the info is lacking, as it only provides general info, not actual numbers. If I knew the one Mag helmet added 25% more skill range, with only a 5% penalty to health, I'd have started using it long ago. Again, we shouldn't have to rely on the Wiki for such info.

Our melee weapons do damage in an assortment of ways, including with the new channeling system. Although there's no info on what our channeling damage would be, or how much energy it costs, so we can't really tell if we should mod channeling, or something else.

The Codex could be one of this game's better features, but if it stays as it is, it will just prove to be more of a fault, than a benefit.

Edited by PhoenixShi

ok, didn't quite read all of that, but I do have to agree that some info is definitely lacking

channeling-related stats on melee weapons, specific stat boosts on alt helms. I think DE intended the codex to have drop tables for the void missions. it'll probably be implemented at some point. for now, DE just gives us the list of what drops in every mission

a lot of the newer ability mods need to have that tooltip when you mouse over it that tells you what increasing the rank does. and scanning does take a little too long

otherwise, the codex is great