Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stalker

Quetzhal

This is just kind of something that just popped into my head, kind of inspired by other Stalker fics and loosely tied to my entry to "Your Story" competition (really it's just in the same fan universe). I just wrote this at 7AM in the morning cause the idea came to me, haha. Didn't take very long. Enjoy. Good!Stalker, Bad!Lotus, etc.

---

I am the Stalker.

It is the name that my brethren have chosen for me. I hear it in the echoes of their minds, though I cannot truly see into them. It is the price I must pay so that they may not see into mine. The Lotus took advantage of their minds while they were asleep, stealing away their memories and hiding a program within them to allow her control – a subconscious message that they cannot disobey. Not without their memories, without the training they went through to avoid such a situation. Trust the Lotus. Believe the Lotus.

If you ever learn the truth – die.

I cannot open my mind to them. Should they learn the truth, they will die – their minds will shut down forever. I know of no way to circumvent the Lotus’ programming, though I continue to search. Yet I cannot simply do nothing, for the destruction and chaos she is making the Tenno spread throughout the system is unacceptable. I cannot let it happen.

So I follow. I listen to the whispers and I watch their movements, how they fight. I watch with a heavy heart when one kills Tyl Regor, the man who would otherwise have repaired the Grineer and cured centuries of the mental disorders that have led them to becoming the violent race they are today. And then the Golem, too, was destroyed.

I did not need to watch. I felt it happen. The Golem’s death rippled across the minds of the Infested, cracking the hive mind that held them together. It was a small crack, but nonetheless one that would lead them to become ever more aggressive, to take over ever greater sectors of the system. I cannot fathom the Lotus’ thoughts, why she would do or allow such a thing.

I only know that I must stop further destruction.

So I have gained my name by stalking my brethren, by striking them during their missions, by disabling them just enough so that they are forced to retreat, to try again later. I put on an act, block off their minds from accessing mine, pretend to be a rogue Tenno interested only in a twisted form of justice. I feel their minds reach out for mine instinctively, inquisitively. I rebuff them, force them back, and I feel their surprise. I want to let them know the truth. I want my brethren alongside me, so that we can fight together as we once did and put a stop to the madness that is overtaking the system.

But I cannot. Instead, I must strike where I can, make careful note of their plans and do my best to hinder them. It is not enough. I am, after all, one man against an army.

Yet when has that stopped any of the Tenno?

I am the Stalker, and I am alone.

---

I do assume that the Tenno are psychic, to a degree. It's because of the focus they seem to have on their mind and inner self, what with them always sitting in a meditative sort of position. It's also because Nyx herself is psychic, so I'm just guessing that it might just be the warframe amplifying her current abilities? I don't know. I do have somewhat fleshed out fanlore tumbling around in my head, but I don't know much about Dark Sector or technocytes so it's not particularly related, unfortunately.

Edited by Quetzhal

+1(thousand)

Directly contradicts a story I wrote with the help of a couple other people where the Stalker was directly opposed to and ended up killing the Golem, yet in both yours and mine Lotus was, shall we say... A conniving evil $#*(@.

Does anyone actually believe she's a good guy anymore? One day we're gonna get the full story, and she's going to be the good guy, and none of us will see it coming.

Edit: Forgot to mention I had lots of help with the story. Didn't even write the ending, it was someone else.

Edited by SolluxCaptorTA

Thanks, guys! Much appreciated. |3

+1(thousand)

Directly contradicts a story I wrote with the help of a couple other people where the Stalker was directly opposed to and ended up killing the Golem, yet in both yours and mine Lotus was, shall we say... A conniving evil $#*(@.

Does anyone actually believe she's a good guy anymore? One day we're gonna get the full story, and she's going to be the good guy, and none of us will see it coming.

Edit: Forgot to mention I had lots of help with the story. Didn't even write the ending, it was someone else.

Thanks! Honestly, the only reason I wrote him as against the Golem's death was because he pops up in game to try to avenge the Golem, haha. This version of Stalker doesn't support the Infested or anything, though; it's just that without the Golem to lead them... It's the equivalent of sudden insanity (...not that they're not already insane xD); the Infested gets twice as aggressive and dangerous as before.

I had the thought of/was considering making the Stalker integrate himself and his suit into the Infested's hive mind, to replace the Golem and try to keep them under control. It would've had the bonus of explaining why his Warframe looks a bit like Infested!Excalibur. I figured it was best left for another story, if anything, though I'm not sure if I'll write that.

Yeah, the Lotus... I want to see where DE takes her. Maybe Well-Intentioned Extremist?

Where's your story, anyway? I'd like to read it.

Edited by Quetzhal