Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New Frame Idea: Melee-Oriented

MissSpelling

Caution - Wall of Text

I had originally posted this as a response to a rather short-lived thread, so I'm reposting this here as an attempt to get more people to see this. It started out as a simple "I wanna see a samurai warframe" idea, but I ended up actually liking it a lot as I fleshed it out. I actually did spend quite a while typing out all of this, so if you actually read all this, I insist you post your opinion (even if it's "no" or "TL:DR"). Without any further ado, here was my idea:

I would love to see a melee-oriented frame. Spent a bit thinking this up; no names/numbers yet.

Bold is a basic skill description, and italics are how I'd like to see it pulled off game-wise. Note that the skill descriptions are not intended to be what's written on the mod.

This frame should look sharp. Literally. It should appear streamlined and deadly while having just enough bulk to not seem fragile. I would prefer it's gender to be male, as men predominantly occupy the role of swordmaster, however it can easily be taking in the direction of an agile and lithe female as well. Just looking at the frame should invoke a sense of power and nobility. Asymmetry could very well be used to show the dominant sword-arm.

1. [Active Skill] A dashing strike that automatically targets the nearest enemy in front of the frame.

Think of a mix of Excalibur's Slash Dash and Ash's Shuriken. Low energy cost with relatively high damage, it can be chained to quickly clear a room. It'll prioritize enemies in the direction the frame is facing. The actual dash would only last half a second or so, and shouldn't be obstructed by terrain. In that regard, the skill is similar to Ash's Bladestorm, but with only one pseudo-tele + hit per activation. Cannot be interrupted or take damage during casting (too short of a cast time to abuse this, but skilled players could time it to avoid getting knocked down by Heavy Gunners, recoiling from Runners' explosions, or getting chunked by a boss). Can also be used in midair and while moving. WIthout any nearby enemies, it'll act identically to Excalibur's Slash Dash or Rhino's Rhino Charge, except with less delay and less range. Can go through laser doors.

2. [Active Skill] Melee combo that hits an area directly in front of the frame, with different visuals/effects while using various melee weapons.

Short - fast series of jabs

Long - several slashes

Dual - spinning cuts

Thrown - rapid fire throws

Heavy - overhead powerslam

Wanted this skill to really cement the frame's role/theme of a melee weapon expert. The area of effect would be similar to Banshee's Sonic Boom, either a short-ranged cone or rectangle aimed in the direction the frame is facing. I emphasize the implementation of different animations depending on the type of melee weapon equipped, however, all attacks will add up to the same damage. This skill would also apply any additional damage belonging to regular melee hits (mods like elemental damage and melee channel; yes, can and should be abused).

3. [steroid Buff] Increases the frame's movement speed by X%, melee attack speed by X%, and adds a melee damage modifier, inflicting +X% of melee weapon damage as additional armor ignoring damage, for X seconds.

I'd hate to see this skill go in the same direction as Saryn's Contagion. Rather, it's more of an incentive to get up close and personal with the enemy. Across the board bonuses to melee damage, attack speed, and move speed should provide the mobility and power necessary to do so. Shouldn't be as dramatic as Volt's Speed, just a noticable boost (no change to field of vision). Increased melee speed should stack with the Fury mod, resulting in some hilariously good times with the Fangs or like weapons. Increased melee damage needs to be armor ignoring, so the buff + spamming melee attacks are still viable at higher levels.

4. [ultimate Skill] With a quick draw of it's sword, the frame deals damage to all enemies within X in-game metres.

Mag: Picks up nearby enemies and crushes them. Frost: Freezes nearby enemies and shatters them. Ember: Incinerates nearby enemies.

Most frames have that one badass move that immediate pops to mind when you think of their name. And that's exactly what I want to see happen with this frame if it's ever made. This won't be some full-map AoE of destruction (Banshee's Sound Quake), but be a much shorter ranged, radial attack (maybe 10 in-game metres). How it goes down:

You press the [4]. The frame assumes a braced position, right hand grasping it's melee weapon (not sure how this'll work with fists) waist-level on it's opposite side. The frame then draws, swinging said weapon in a crescent, leaving a glowing energy trail. Immediate upon drawing, the screen darkens and nearby enemies are stunned and frozen in place. After a few moments (ideally a second), those enemies are hit an innumerous amount, reducing them into bloody chunks. This should produce the cliched effect of a swordsman's movements accelerating to such fantastic speeds that they're invisible to the eye and seem to slow down time.

Yes, the screen darking would be visible to teammates looking in this frame's direction during time of activation (sort of like bloom). This skill should deal around 1000 damage, reduced by armor, like other ults. But in order to keep it useful late-game, it will also have the "deals additional damage" effect of the 2nd skill.

Edited by MissSpelling

i think you need strongh status ,many point on shields and healt(like a rhino or frost),less damge abilities and more survival focus to kill enimies on hing levels,Excalibur for example uses blind and dash to escape from gun fire,Ashe can be invisible or teleport,both warframes are good in melee combat(to much damge for nothing most of the time we use the first  abilitie,you are a warrior or a mage? to use skills all the time).

Your buff(Steroid) have to be good enough to kill enimies in seconds or you ll'' die in close combat often.

Edited by RX3_Zero