Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Onslaught with multiple queue options

Malater

So, there's long been a problem with queuing into onslaught missions with randoms on the fear that the host will leave prematurely.  I don't mean that they won't remain until pushing onto the elite leaderboards, but that they will jump out prior to wave 8.  I get that not everybody wants to complete rotation C, and some people don't want to linger for focus, but this makes online play when seeking those goals problematic.

For instance, when I'm starting a new wave, it makes sense to stack up warframe abilities at the start to take out as many enemies as possible.  This lets me stack as much affinity as I can onto the focus bubble.  But if a host leaves during this period, all abilities are immediately reset to off, and the energy is gone.  The best idea from here would be to either wait until the 30 seconds have passed to cast my abilities, wasting most of the focus time, or to wait until the last possible second to enter the new zone, which needlessly adds on to mission time.

What would be nice would be the opportunity to queue up specifically with other people that want to go to certain rotations.  I understand that leaving every option for mission select wouldn't be very conducive to quick matchmaking, but allowing options for any, full rotation and deep runs would help players to match with those that have a similar goal in mind.  My understanding for it would be that if you were in a game of "full rotation," leaving the mission would be impossible until rotation C had been completed, and you'd simply be shunted into the new zone after the 30 seconds had expired if you have not yet entered the portal.

I feel like onslaught, as something that exists on one node, enjoys a unique position to allow for multiple different mission queues.  While similar mechanics might look good on other endless mission types, there likely isn't enough active missions being run on each individual one to warrant it.

The problem with putting them in any endless mode is that not all endless nodes have enough play at any given time of day.  Putting in too many options will make it less likely for you to encounter other players, and detract from online experience overall.
Where this does make sense is where the nodes are restricted, such as onslaught and fissures.  Here, there is a suitably large bulk of players trying to get into the same node, and it's reasonable to provide additional options without slowing down matchmaking.