Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe To Become Fully Or Semi-Free Roam

Vextrus

As I'm sure this has already been suggested, I just feel like I should voice it out myself.

Making Warframe free-roam, while keeping all the dungeon levels, would, in my eyes, make Warframe even more perfect than it already is. Imagine Fallout or Skyrim free-roam but exchange the Radroaches and dragons with Grineer and Corpus.

Sounds astounding, eh?

Anyway, sorry if this is spam. I'm pretty sure this was suggested already. Say if you support this idea!

Free roam... how exactly? have people wandering for hours in the blackness of space inbetween missions?

IF you LITERALLY means like the two mentioned games... this is not an MMORPG, please don't make it one either. There's quite a lot of RPG elements already but it's still a third person shooter.

I would love to see this coming to life, no doubt about it, even if is going to be hubs were we get quests and go on to missions, kinda like vindictus, c9 and dragon nest, it would work very well ... full free roam ? idk, why ? well is not like dev's are going to get in that kind of trouble in one go as its resource heavy development and is too risky. Hubs and Quests are easier for a start I'd say.

Edited by Spammie

@PiotrGracz

Aight, thanks. :)

Youre welcome:) 

BTW, theres an edit option somewhere there, so you dont have to double post:) ------->------------>---------->

|

\|/

Edited by PiotrGracz

Just a quickie: Warframe uses a procedural level creation system. All maps are sequences of tiles stuck together. There is no roaming possible in such a system - the only thing that'd work is a system like Torchlight 2 has - Mapworks. You acquire maps ("voidkeys") and those have set modifiers (level, enemy HP, loot, XP ...). Levels in Warframe are loaded upon entry, and cannot continually advance. Once loaded, a level is fix. Adding rooms (tiles) requires to reload the entire thing.

Warframe has no technical basis to become free roaming.

Just a quickie: Warframe uses a procedural level creation system. All maps are sequences of tiles stuck together. There is no roaming possible in such a system - the only thing that'd work is a system like Torchlight 2 has - Mapworks. You acquire maps ("voidkeys") and those have set modifiers (level, enemy HP, loot, XP ...). Levels in Warframe are loaded upon entry, and cannot continually advance. Once loaded, a level is fix. Adding rooms (tiles) requires to reload the entire thing.

Warframe has no technical basis to become free roaming.

Tee-hee, actually, it could be. Two words: Heavy instancing.

@Turiko Like have people pay to have transport to other planets. Fee for transport would depend on the distance between planet A(current planet) to planet B(Destination). Besides, what's wrong with making it more MMORPG-like?

Because there are hundreds of thousands MMORPG's out there, many of which are not really all that good. the amount of PvE third person shooters is quite small - transforming to mmorpg would essentially dumb down the game to something that's already extremely common. While it's easy to say "just keep the dungeons", look at how much time has been spent on the game so far and now think of how much would be necessary to convert the game. It would essentially kill off any progress in the current direction for what, a year?

TL;DR: this game is hird person shooter PvE, something quite uncommon and refreshing. MMORPG's are the opposite :P. there's no real way to go from one to the other without basically stopping the game as it is now.

Edited by Turiko

free roam wouldn't work just because there's nothing to do roaming, and secondly its not an mmorpg with designated tanks healers etc.  You could argue that a few fill those roles, however they can also fill other roles.  DE themselves have said that they do not want specific roles for them.  It'd be kinda cool to roam about but that's more trouble than its worth when you weigh it against the AI problems, armor scaling, lack of lore, absence of end game level content, and too many guns that people don't want to use because aesthetically they look cool, but in game they're worthless( same can be said of some abilities of warframes)