Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"quickswitching"

shut

In other shooting games, both PVP and PVE, a common tactic is to rapidly switch to your secondary weapon once your primary runs out of clip ammo so you can quickly finish off an enemy (possibly to kill it before it kills you, as is the case with many PVP games) or unload as much damage as possible to a target before needing to stop to reload.

In Warframe, most players don't do this, partly because it's not needed too much, and partly because the weapon switch is so painfully slow in the first place.

I think it would be a nice addition to the game if the weapon switch speed and delay were improved. Perhaps in the form of a medium-low-cost Warframe mod.

Similar to weapons with "__% faster switch speed" mechanics in games like Team Fortress 2, the mod could sacrifice some of the Warframe's other abilities (due to lack of mod slots or lack of mod energy) in exchange for a large boost in switch speed that the player may find useful. It can be beneficial in unleashing a greater amount of burst DPS or quickly getting rid of that heavy unit, or taking that boss's last inkling of health down to zero. More importantly, however, it would give the player a little bit more freedom in customizing their Frame to suit their play style. Flexibility in gameplay styles is what I personally think this game needs.

Would also be a nice addition once PVP is added upon, making the tactic much more viable.

Discuss.

Edited by SortaRandom

I think part of the issue is that the weapons which people tend to use have such fast reload times that it's simply more efficient to just stick out the reload time and shoot the enemy with the same weapon.

The Ogris, Lanka, and Strun Wraith come to mind. All are powerful weapons which have very short reload times. Additionally, most enemies in the game simply aren't threatening enough to warrant switching weapons. There's little to no danger in waiting the extra two seconds for the reload to go through compared to switching weapons.

In TF2, enemy players can kill you quite quickly and easily, so the extra second or so saved by switching to your secondary can really save your bacon. Not so much in Warframe, though. (Unless you're in the middle of a bunch of toxic ancients or some other dangerous enemy, but I think you might have bigger issues at that point.)

Edited by gallowsCalibrator

I remember that my buttocks (and my resource thumper) were saved numerous times due to this tactic in FireFall (PvE).

I agree for sure that the enemies in this game need to be a bit more... threatening. Until then, I guess, the quickswitching doesn't have lots and lots of use like it does in TF2.

I'd still like to see it, though. Certainly wouldn't hurt a lot to add such a feature. xD

Edited by SortaRandom

I remember that my buttocks (and my resource thumper) were saved numerous times due to this tactic in FireFall (PvE).

I agree for sure that the enemies in this game need to be a bit more... threatening. Until then, I guess, the quickswitching doesn't have lots and lots of use like it does in TF2.

I'd still like to see it, though. Certainly wouldn't hurt a lot to add such a feature. xD

I feel that Firefall's enemies were a lot more threatening than the enemies in Warframe (up to a point).

If I didn't take out that Chosen shooting at me with his plasma cannon now, I wouldn't have enough health to survive the other one next to him shooting at me with his assault rifle.

Grineer and Corpus barely tickle at lower levels, and at higher levels there's so many of them it hardly matters if you kill one or two more quickly because the giant crowd of them is still shooting your face off.

And yeah, it would be kinda cool. :3

Edited by gallowsCalibrator

I cannot take out throwing knives in 2 seconds after I randomly threw my rocket launcher onto my back...

Quick Switching is for PvP... tbh.

This, more or less. Quickswitching will like become less prevalent the more powerful your equipment becomes.

When you use a Vulkar (or a normal Snipetron), more often than not you HAVE to switch. Mainly because the reload time is horrendous (also the fact that a Vulkar doesn't do jack against most enemies even after spending a whole clip). So yeah, the problem here I see is that most weapons are capable of doing its job and more, having a fast enough reload to not care about switching, which itself takes too long to be worth the hassle.

A quickswitch mod wouldn't hurt, honestly, but before they fix the general OPness of weapons (in normal levels, not talking about insane high-level defense), I don't think that's a priority. But then again, we'll have to wait for the 10.

Personally, I love the idea!!! Even if you don't need it to survive I find that currently it's really a deterrent from switching weapons. I like to run a nice set of close/mid/long range weapons. For me.. It just doesn't feel worth it. I clear out everyone in front of me with a Gorgan, then I wanna pick off three guys on the other side f the room. Now my life isn't in danger but it will feel really good to switch to my Seer and pick them off in rapid succession.

As things are now? I'm better off running a bit closer and mowing them down... you know until I'm out of ammo.. and that feels kinda limiting. So i would gladly trade a warframe mod slot for a weapon switch speed upgrade! Though I'd much rather have it just lowered by default. I don't find it all that game breaking considering everyone's in a high powered set of ninja space armor~