Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Platinum And Credit Conversion System

Greymayne_the_Hunted

Hey guys, I want it to be simple and i want it to be easy. Can there be a way for users to convert Platinum to credits and vice versa. Some people are too cheap to pay money for Platinum. For me, this would be a great way to help players get more credits or platinum to buy advanced gear. If this were to happen within the next few updates, I would appreciate it.

2 questions:

-Why would u buy FREE in-game money? thats kinda stupid, if u ask me.

-Why devs would give away free CASH letting us convert credits into platinum?? Also kinda stupid.

Let me clear this, im not saying you're stupid, im saying doing what you're saying would be stupid.

Although the idea is nice for free to players, it wouldn't be ideal for DE. Basically instead of plats (which can only be gotten with cash) any item that you view as essential should be made purchasable for credits. But actually letting you generate plat, a currency that doesn't really exist, FROM a currency that also doesn't really exist is a bit silly.

I think the reason why most people want to have credit -> platinum conversion is for things like the extended colour picker or the new alternative helmets. I've had friends complain that after weeks sunk into this game, they're sitting on piles of credit, and the things they'd like to buy with them are cash only.

The problem I have is that - while I'd love to use my credits to buy an alternative Mag helmet say, even if I had to use up an ungodly amount - I understand why such cosmetic items are Platinum only. They don't effect gameplay, and it's perfectly reasonable for DE to say "You want a new look for your frame? Well, how about you donate a little cash towards this game you've so far been enjoying for free."

I mean, it's not even like it costs that much - most people with some kind of income will probably be able to buy the one or two platinum only items they're interested in.

The only other use for platinum I can think of is - as an alternative method for buying frames and weapons - that you don't want to spend the time collecting materials and finding blueprints to craft.

Personally - I'd just like the alternative helmets to be craftable. If I had the option to craft them, there would be another 30 hours or so I'd happily sink into this game, rather than 15min to arrange a credit card transaction.

So no to free platinum.

Yes to craftable headgear please =3

Edited by 11.11.11

It works, and it's extremely simple.

It works to do what?

Give players what they want for free? Without supporting the developers at all aside from random donations or founders packages?

That's not really sustainable.

There's a reason why Valve made TF2 free to play. They'd already made a tidy profit over four years of paying customers, and the in-game store was making them enough extra that they had no trouble letting the game go free to play. Why do you think the store made money. Because nothing in it was for free.

Edited by 11.11.11

It works to do what?

I was referring to Spiral Knights (they have crowns as the free currency and Crystal Energy as the paid currency, both required for various things, just like in Warframe). Having a credit to platinum market allows free (or paying) players to trade for platinum. Why is this good? The market is driven by supply and demand, and the supply of platinum is entirely in the hands of paying players. The market idea is simple and easy enough to implement.

In case you aren't there yet, I'll just tell you: this drives UP profit for DE. Paying players are paying players. Okay, what about free players? Incidentally, having a free exchange market actually makes free players paying players indirectly.

So how is that possible? DE is fully aware of creating money sinks, I'm sure. Where there is a need for more platinum, paying players will buy more platinum. But where there is a need for credits only, what can a paying player do? Grind some more for credits like a poor man? No, they go to the market and trade some platinum for credits. The secret is that there is should be no direct way to buy credits. It just so happens free players are desiring platinum for their credits, so the give and take is a natural one. The only hand DE plays in this is creating a reason for both credits and platinum to be used, not just making platinum buy everything.

It's sustainable because it's been sustainable in other games. It isn't a complex set up and easily applies to Warframe.

Your point about TF2 is irrelevant and does not add to the discussion at all.

In case you aren't there yet, I'll just tell you: this drives UP profit for DE. Paying players are paying players. Okay, what about free players? Incidentally, having a free exchange market actually makes free players paying players indirectly.

Warframe is not, and at the momment - has no plans to be a paid title. There are no "paying players" other than those who perhaps purchase founder packages. There aren't premium slots, there arn't retail players and free players. This dichotomy dosn't exist.

All players are free players - just some buy some platinum only items, and some do not.

Having a free exchange makes free players paying players indirectly?

I'm sorry - WHAT?

Yes - players who never purchase platinum with cash - would be able to get platiunum only items with the addition of an exchange system. But that wouldn't make them "paying players" directly or indirectly. DE will not receive a cent from said people. Ie: they are not paying.

But where there is a need for credits only, what can a paying player do? Grind some more for credits like a poor man? No, they go to the market and trade some platinum for credits. The secret is that there is should be no direct way to buy credits. It just so happens free players are desiring platinum for their credits, so the give and take is a natural one. The only hand DE plays in this is creating a reason for both credits and platinum to be used, not just making platinum buy everything.

Uhm. Why would someone, with platinum - want credits. Everything that can be purchased with credits - can be bought with platinum, and some things are platinum exclusive.

Your point about TF2 is irrelevant and does not add to the discussion at all.

Actually it's not thanks.

TF2's 'Mann 'Co' store is a prime example of a store that sells a mixture of cosmetic and functional items, that are availible via other means (in TF2 random drops, in Warframe, blueprints + resources) yet still saw enough clientelle to make the game a financial success for the developer under a free to play model.

Where there is a need for more platinum, paying players will buy more platinum. But where there is a need for credits only, what can a paying player do? Grind some more for credits like a poor man? No, they go to the market and trade some platinum for credits. The secret is that there is should be no direct way to buy credits. It just so happens free players are desiring platinum for their

Now I think I see where you're coming from here. You're suggesting a sort of - platinum and credit, direct trade system. Which - will concede, does seem like a good idea.

Unfortunaltey it was rather hard for me to realise that you were talking about such a system, when you posted in the thread entitled:

PLATINUM AND CREDIT CONVERSION SYSTEM

And didn't make it clear you were proposing a credit trading system. Rather than a direct conversion or exchange.

Edited by 11.11.11

Yes, that's what I was talking about.

And my point about paying players and free players is that some players will never spend a dime on a F2P game no matter how long they play, and some players will spend money on a F2P game. With a credit trading system, you can actually stimulate platinum purchases from those paying players by giving them a reason to trade their platinum into credits.

And yes, the current game doesn't have credit sinks, but in any game, especially one that is in beta, I don't hold the current prices to be the final prices. Anything can be changed, and I keep that in mind. I don't understand the need to counter an idea by saying it doesn't work in the current game. So, change the current game because it's changing anyway (it's in beta). The game doesn't have any credit sinks? Make some more credit sinks.

I still don't think your TF2 point is relevant because it has nothing to do with this thread, about a credit to platinum conversion system (unless you count TF2 trading, but then I would have hoped you would have gotten my point about a credit to platinum trade system sooner). But yeah, it's a good example of a profitable F2P game, and I have over 2000 hours in it since launch, and I'm super rich, in TF2 money, that is. But if you think it's relevant then I'll just drop it because what you said about the game is, at least, true.

Edited by gell