The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

GPU spikes for no obvious reason

Xolgys

when i walk out of the elevator, straight to the first lake and stand on that building, basically right before the water, looking at the huge coolant tower in that lake with all of the fog surrounding it and whatnot the 2 fans of my GPU boost to 66-70% whilst the GPU core temp rises to around 76°C. its not specifically only on that building but rather the surrounding shore and looking in that direction. on the plains or fortuna for example im at a stable 73°C with ~30% fan speed, orbiter ~ 61°C and 24% fan speed. ofc the fans counteract the increase in GPU workload to keep the temp down but thats still unnormal considering its only at that place, at least as far as i know/noticed and if its really caused by the fog then oh boy does it need optimisation.

i wiped all GPU drivers off my computer, tried without AMD software, only raw GPU drivers and no difference to the "full package" including AMD software. drivers ofc absolutely up 2 date, not just GPU. GPU driver namely is the Adrenalin 18.9.3. version. It doesnt force anything special, just V-Sync/frame rate target control. other than that its only AMD optimised tesselation and shader, pretty default so its not some kind of special setting i think. tried stuff with that and didnt change anything at all.

i also went to the plains because i thought it might be the water but no...its not. maybe its tied to the lighting which i think is "broken" since mainline, i dont know, could also be the mentioned fog.

in any case there needs to be some optimisation done with orb vallis. a GPU is there to be used, but i dont like having my GPU stressed like that in certain areas for no reason. that fan boost and temp increase would be okay if it was a benchmark like Furmark but on the plains for example its pretty stable. the ambient effects arent the same for sure, like fog, but even on orb vallis most areas dont cause that behaviour of my GPU.

FPS surely arent an issue at least for me, but good FPS are pointless if there is an airplane taking off right besides u~

Greetings

Edited by Xydeth

current build fixed the issue for me from what i can tell. went to some ponds with a lot of fog, the places which gave me fan spikes before, and all good. fans stay below 30% and GPU at the usual ~72°C. got DoF off so distance doesnt get blurred out, which increased the issue for me before and i usually prefer it off anyway, but it still used to push my fans to 59% even without it.

very smooth run now, thanks a lot.

Edited by Xydeth