Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Improving Resource Farming Experiences

wkfire

We all hate grinds, until when you install the fun element in it ;)

I'll start by using an example, lets say Runescape, also a F2P online game. F2P games are usually full of grinds. In RS, you can get coins by killing mobs, selling items and completing quests. (In WF context, completing missions) However, in RS, there is another special way to get coins, through 'pickpocketing'. Ineffective as it may be, but there is the fun element in it. 

Now both games also have resources required to craft certain weapons and stuffs. Again, yes, you can get them from killing mobs. But in RS, if you need logs, you will go cut the tree, if you need ores, you will go mine the rocks. In WF, we only have the special resource alerts, which is just simply rewards for completing a mission and dependent on RNG. 

A simple activity:

For example

Rubedo: A jagged crytalline (possibly a typo for crystalline) ore. Gives off radiant energy. 

Salvage: High value metals collected from war salvage.

Gallium: Soft metal used in microelectronics and energy weapons.

Alloy Plate: Carbon steel plates used to reinforce Grineer armour.

These sounds like metals and ores to me, which should be found through mining. We have the Grineer Asteriod tilesets right? Maybe allow us to do some mining while in missions or even create special missions for these activities? It could be like survival missions, players mining for the resources while Grineers trying to shoo the Tennos off their territory. So the players have to balance between farming for their resources while defending themselves. 

A tougher activity:

For example

Form in squads of 4, infiltrate the enemy base with stealth, maybe the upcoming Corpus gas mining station tileset, to steal the (insert resource). Killing enemies will give you the usual drops from RNG, but once enemies are alerted, they will move the resources away. If infiltration is successful, players will get XX resources etc. 

These tilesets can be made much more meaningful when integrated with these specific activities for resource farming. 

This could also solve the RNG problem that players always complained about. 

Please consider adding the 'fun element' into grinds :D

My point is, these grinds can become fun if we are able to experience something more, more than just plainly killing and completing missions. 

Edit: The suggestions about mining could be additions and not changes to the game. Also, the point is not about mining, it could be other activities as long as players can have fun while grinding, alternative activities to killing and completing missions. Some players even suggested about farming in Dojo. These ideas, good or bad, are such alternative activities to killing and completing missions. They wont be the main part of the game, just alternatives. 

Edit 2: Many people are caught up with the suggestion about mining, so I added another suggestion that is not mining related. They could be new mission types, or just bonus side missions while in a regular mission like Capture. Right now, I don't feel any meaning in the missions as well as in the tilesets. They should be more interactive. 

Edited by wkfire

no no, i think he meant by implement some Rubedo Mines so players can mine rude constantly at a fixed rate.

imagine: Nanspore mine/deposit... on open/gaming field.

Yep stuffs like that. Sorry if I did not express myself in the correct way. 

I don't think mining would fit into the lore...

The Tenno are descendants of an ancient and mystical civilization of lost warriors from the Orokin era on Earth. Preserved in cryopods for centuries, the Tenno now awaken to a new war, fighting and resisting warring factions as the sole bearers of the Orokin-created Warframes.  While the memories of the Tenno have faded over time, their mastery of guns, blades, and Warframe exo-armor has not.
Edited by stopgaming

I don't think mining would fit into the lore...

Oh well, it doesn't have to be mining or woodcutting and stuffs. I mean, grinding can be more interesting if there are many different ways to farm for the same thing. Like the pickpocketing for coins thing. Right now we only can kill, kill and kill to complete a mission, for resources and credits (excluding buying them with plats). 

Go play eve...

You can tell me to play games ranging from Maplestory to Minecraft, but I want to help improve WF and the community's gaming experience, not just mine. 

You can tell me to play games ranging from Maplestory to Minecraft, but I want to help improve WF and the community's gaming experience, not just mine.

Then stop suggesting ideas that 1) do not fit lore-wise, 2) would be contrary to the style of the game, 3) would be boring.

OH MAN, CLANGING ROCKS!

Then stop suggesting ideas that 1) do not fit lore-wise, 2) would be contrary to the style of the game, 3) would be boring.

OH MAN, CLANGING ROCKS!

Lol. Tweeks can be made to fit the lore. As for the current style of game, it's only repetitive kills and grinds, isn't it boring (after XX hours of gameplay) already? 

OH MAN, CLANGING ROCKS!

1)This game has as much lore as mass-producted shovel

2)We could say that about defence if there would be none at this moment

3)It's just like YOUR opinion.

Edited by Icouldjustkissyou

Game has enough lore to realize that standing around smashing rocks or chopping trees would be completely out of scope.

Not enough ideas to argue this point atm.

I'm allowed to have opinions, just as you are allowed yours. I think your opinion of fun, if related to pressing x and watching your character swing an ax for however many seconds, is a lame one.

I like the pick pocketing idea (for Ash) :)

In a way opening lockers and busting drums/crates are like mining.  

Maybe in addition to lockers/drums/crates...I guess we could shoot some random crystals from the mines?

Edited by stopgaming

But 

Game has enough lore to realize that standing around smashing rocks or chopping trees would be completely out of scope.

Yeah, games like PW got some awesome stories about dragons, but in gameplay all you do is flying on the sword, picking up flowers and standing like a pink kitty selling stuff.

Lore has nothing to do with gameplay. Just look at all these puzzle games around random franchise.

Not enough ideas to argue this point atm.

I'm allowed to have opinions, just as you are allowed yours. I think your opinion of fun, if related to pressing x and watching your character swing an ax for however many seconds, is a lame one.

I hate to bring this up, but since WF is focused on PvE, doesn't that make PvP out of scope as well? 

Yet, DE introduced PvP through Duels because these are alternatives to add to the fun. It is not all about killing and completing missions, but involves skills and agility as well, which is a good test for space ninjas. 

What I'm suggesting is the introduction of fun into grinding through alternative actives such as mining. If mining is a bad idea, then they can implement other stuffs. 

But 

Yeah, games like PW got some awesome stories about dragons, but in gameplay all you do is flying on the sword, picking up flowers and standing like a pink kitty selling stuff.

Lore has nothing to do with gameplay. Just look at all these puzzle games around random franchise.

Agreed. I could just kiss you xD

Is...is this a troll post?

You want us to go from hitting enemies to hitting rocks for the sake of "changing it up"?

I really don't even.

I'm sorry if it sounded like a troll. But I'm not sorry if you are missing the point. I did not say replace killing with mining. i'm referring to adding more ways, interesting ways, to which we can obtain the resources. Activities ranging from simple ones like mining to harder ones like infiltrating into the enemy bases to obtain maybe the mutagen samples from the labs? 

I'm sorry if it sounded like a troll. But I'm not sorry if you are missing the point. I did not say replace killing with mining. i'm referring to adding more ways, interesting ways, to which we can obtain the resources. Activities ranging from simple ones like mining to harder ones like infiltrating into the enemy bases to obtain maybe the mutagen samples from the labs?

Mining ourselves would surely never work. Certain game modes could work.

Changing raid missions to timed "steal as much as you can" missions where you search containers and hack consoles to get to treasure rooms could work. Might have to limit such missions in a similar way to void keys.

Kind of reminds Of those bonus levels in Mario games that are filled with coins.

PvP was added due to massive community outcry. It is only, as of now, in the lore as friendly training sessions. People can't play online games without the option to try and kill each other, with enough demand it seems like it may be time to add it. There is virtually no demand for smashing rocks, picking pants, pickpocketing, or otherwise. What we need is reasonable drop systems and pools.

I understand the thought behind your ideas and that they seem like something to look at, but they fall short in almost every regard.

PvP was added due to massive community outcry. It is only, as of now, in the lore as friendly training sessions. People can't play online games without the option to try and kill each other, with enough demand it seems like it may be time to add it. There is virtually no demand for smashing rocks, picking pants, pickpocketing, or otherwise. What we need is reasonable drop systems and pools.

I understand the thought behind your ideas and that they seem like something to look at, but they fall short in almost every regard.

Strictly saying, I dont see how PvP fits in the lore, because the game is focused in PvE. It is simply just another fun factor that the community has demanded.

It's quite disappointing to see that you are unable to think out of the box, thinking that only reasonable drops and pools are solutions to grind. Yes it could be, but RNG will never be reasonable. Even if it is, the only way you obtain credits or resources will still only be through killing and mission rewards. These repetitive missions will soon lead to boredom. I would include mods, but trading, which is one of the alternative activities for players to obtain a resource he wants other than through farming, is coming.