The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Bullet Deflecting.

lNogardl

UPDATE: We made it! They wll be adding blocking that feeds off of stamina! Thank for everyones support and most of all thank you for the devs that you actually show that you listen and view every single suggestion out there! I will no doubt be supporting you in the future!

I've been thinking about a way to balance this idea since most of you will probably think "omg another guy trying to make this game easier" as soon as you see the topic title, but hear me out.

Whenever you're soloing or duoing sometimes you get &#!-pounded by loads of grineer with insane fire rated rifles joined with a heavy gunner or 3. Combine this with a frame you're trying to level and you're dead if you're surrounded. Don't get me wrong, this is nice to have to survive and I know we have several skills to counter attack this issue, but an option to deflect SOME bullets with your melee weapon when you're out of energy or useful skills available would be nice.

Imagine this, several grineer ahead with heavy gunners all around, you have a low levelled warframe with low armour and you're alone, you want to shoot them out but they're insane fire rate deplete your health almost instantly, a melee approach option could settle in while holding a "block" button which would deflect some bullets, not all of them, countering a possible death by so many grineers and taking them out by pairs.

I know most of the situations can easily be countered by using skills or simply taking cover, but taking cover is not always reliable when you're low on health and they still hit you sometimes.

Any help with this idea is appreciated, you're a space ninja after all so it would be a cool addition if balanced not be used all the time and not being too easy to survive, maybe depleting some energy with blue energy coming out of your suit (like super jump from excalibur) putting you fast enough to block some bullets? Opinions appreciated!

EDIT: FrankJaeger has some pretty cool suggestions that boost my original idea, check them out in the thread. Keep that feedback coming!

Edited by Nogard18

... sometimes you get &#!-pounded by loads of grineer with insane fire rated rifles joined with a heavy gunner or 3. Combine this with a frame you're trying to level and you're dead if you're surrounded.

don't try to level your frame in a high level system.

Because this game is really realistic. You know. It has everything that GunZ has and in space steroid humans, robots AND zombies.

I wish this game haad K-style so badly I am trained so hard that I see the walls now and think ok now time to wallclimb.... wait this is warframe... aw...

I know kstyle would not fit but i honestly want a block maybe the ability to sslash bullets out of the air...

Go in melee only ont use your guns in pluto

then come back

Go in melee only in pluto? please tell me that you're just joking and you haven't tried that....lol

why would I or anyone do that? this is a TPS game, know what TPS means? ill tell you, its third person SHOOTER (key word, if u didn't notice) .... SHOOTER.

This isnt a game when u just clear all the hard mission with just your swords. If this is your argument for wanting jedi powers.

/sarcasm on

You should also ask devs to give the force as well, u know? go pluto without weapons, its impossible!!!

/sarcasm off

You wanna play WARFRAME? then u gotta shoot. This is how it is.

I still see no use fot this, sorry.

Go in melee only in pluto? please tell me that you're just joking and you haven't tried that....lol

why would I or anyone do that? this is a TPS game, know what TPS means? ill tell you, its third person SHOOTER (key word, if u didn't notice) .... SHOOTER.

This isnt a game when u just clear all the hard mission with just your swords. If this is your argument for wanting jedi powers.

/sarcasm on

You should also ask devs to give the force as well, u know? go pluto without weapons, its impossible!!!

/sarcasm off

You wanna play WARFRAME? then u gotta shoot. This is how it is.

I still see no use fot this, sorry.

Melee only on Pluto is easy with the right mods, Lonely. Way more fun than guns as well, at least for me. Guns are certainly easier, but definitely not required. As far as I know, the devs intend for melee to be a viable playstyle, so saying you shouldn't be able to rely on it because of the game is a third person shooter (really more of a third person shooter/slasher to be honest) isn't correct.

The idea of blocking bullets is kind of silly however. I prefer having to use mobility to keep the bullets off me, and that works well enough right now.

Edited by Sealgaire

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. However, I think it should require a resource. Either have it be a global ability of all Tenno, that drains energy or (my preferred option) stamina. It makes sense that way; stamina is a reliable, refreshing resource so you aren't sacrificing any precious energy you might be using for other abilities. Since some warframes prioritize energy over others, stamina makes it a more evenly scaled method.

You would hold down a button, would have to be separate from melee (if melee is "E" by default, maybe have it be "Q"?), and the Tenno would either block all incoming firearm damage (not counting explosions or melee attacks), or give a flat damage reduction to firearm damage. It might have restrictions - can only deflect damage in an arc in front of you, so it wouldn't give 360 degree protection. It would either drain over time, so if you stand there without taking any damage it will eventually drain, but it will drain at the same rate no matter how many bullets are being shot. Or, if you stand there it doesn't drain by itself, but drains a small amount for each deflected/reduced hit. So if you are taking a dozen grineer on at once, it will drain quickly.

As for the "logic" behind it, its not that far fetched, considering this is supposed to be hundreds of years in the future. We don't have enough information about what the Warframes are capable of. They might have advanced algorithmic software that maps out trajectories based on visual information - if you know the angle a gun is pointing, you know where the bullets are going to go. There was an episode of "Stan Lee's Superhuman" where a man today was able to cut a bb pellet in half with a katana, because he was able to accurately predict where the projectile would be at the arc of his swing. Add cyber-ninja-super-suits and years of space ninja training, and I'd buy it.

And remember the balance of game design. Realism Vs. Fun Vs. Logistics. If its fun and possible to program it in the game, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic. One must consider "the cool factor" in this kind of situation.

That's actually not a bad idea, Frank. If it took stamina, you would be limited in how long you could block bullets and would make you choose between doing so and having the ability to be more mobile with sprinting and wallrunning. Adds more gameplay variety while being ninja as F***.

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. However, I think it should require a resource. Either have it be a global ability of all Tenno, that drains energy or (my preferred option) stamina. It makes sense that way; stamina is a reliable, refreshing resource so you aren't sacrificing any precious energy you might be using for other abilities. Since some warframes prioritize energy over others, stamina makes it a more evenly scaled method.

You would hold down a button, would have to be separate from melee (if melee is "E" by default, maybe have it be "Q"?), and the Tenno would either block all incoming firearm damage (not counting explosions or melee attacks), or give a flat damage reduction to firearm damage. It might have restrictions - can only deflect damage in an arc in front of you, so it wouldn't give 360 degree protection. It would either drain over time, so if you stand there without taking any damage it will eventually drain, but it will drain at the same rate no matter how many bullets are being shot. Or, if you stand there it doesn't drain by itself, but drains a small amount for each deflected/reduced hit. So if you are taking a dozen grineer on at once, it will drain quickly.

As for the "logic" behind it, its not that far fetched, considering this is supposed to be hundreds of years in the future. We don't have enough information about what the Warframes are capable of. They might have advanced algorithmic software that maps out trajectories based on visual information - if you know the angle a gun is pointing, you know where the bullets are going to go. There was an episode of "Stan Lee's Superhuman" where a man today was able to cut a bb pellet in half with a katana, because he was able to accurately predict where the projectile would be at the arc of his swing. Add cyber-ninja-super-suits and years of space ninja training, and I'd buy it.

And remember the balance of game design. Realism Vs. Fun Vs. Logistics. If its fun and possible to program it in the game, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic. One must consider "the cool factor" in this kind of situation.

I was kind of on the fence with that idea and actually quite close to vote against the OP suggestion but your post made me reconsider. Your interpretation of the idea is perfectly balanced and makes a lot of sence. Effectively it will allow Tenno to get some additional protection from projectiles at the cost of losing the high mobility(no stamina = no sprinting and parkour) and the ability to attack while deflecting(for obvious reasons). This can let the player do approach enemies with firearms headon when flanking them is not an option to engage them in melee. Yeah, something like that: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MjnD6NdC3e4 :)

With less that 100% reliable blocking (say 30-60% chance of blocking and no more than 3-4 projectiles blocked per second) and stamina-limited duration this technique can be a good addition to the Tenno tricks.

Besides, I am the Grey Fox after all, so I'm all for being able to deflect bullets with my sword. So I will be trying to do this until it becomes a feature. And I'll be damned if I don't manage it on my own anyway =]

Somewhere in a Grineer asteroid base..

Grunt 1: "Why is he waving his sword like that? Doesn't he know he looks stupid?"

Grunt 2: "Tenno. Whatever, just shoot him."

*Pew pew pe-TING!*

Grunt 1: "Aargh, I'm hit! How did he do that?"

Grunt 2: "I don't know! They never added that feature!"

Grunt 1: "My god it's..."

Grunt 1: "It's the Grey Fox"

Edited by FrankJaeger

Well you just my idea sound way better, thank you for that!

I think this would make a sweet addition so i would appreciate that those who are kinda doubtfull if this would be a nice addition to the game would reconsider since it wouldn't hurt to have another way to "protect" yourself while making you eyegasm.

The problems with melee in this game are threefold:

1. Melee DPS is absolutely awful. A fully upgraded Cronus deals something like 110 charge damage once per second. Sure it ignores armor, but... a unranked Braton deals 240 damage per second and can semi-reliably score headshots at most combat ranges.

2. Melee builds practically require +Melee Warframe mods at high levels, which don't actually affect Charge Damage (and thus actually skew the numbers worse for the melee side because they lose the armor-ignore properties) and reduce survivability/power use significantly.

3. Closing to melee is much harder than hiding behind a chest-high barrel and shooting.

This addition would at least fix #3 if it provided significant protection and didn't drain Stamina that fast. Also, it doesn't need a new key. Just change how sprinting and melee work. "Hold Melee while Sprinting: Block bullets. Press Melee while coming out of defensive stance to instantly unleash a charge attack." See? Skill based combo gameplay and no UI bloat.

Melee only on Pluto is easy with the right mods, Lonely. Way more fun than guns as well, at least for me. Guns are certainly easier, but definitely not required. As far as I know, the devs intend for melee to be a viable playstyle, so saying you shouldn't be able to rely on it because of the game is a third person shooter (really more of a third person shooter/slasher to be honest) isn't correct.

The idea of blocking bullets is kind of silly however. I prefer having to use mobility to keep the bullets off me, and that works well enough right now.

a smart answer. thank you seal. you are right,

But despite im wrong in some things, i still see no use for deflection.

:D

Would like to see this sort of thing implemented, getting mobbed by loads Grineer is bad for my health, even if im only able to block/deflect half of the projectiles id be happy, atleast that gives me a window to escape and recover other than being slaughtered