The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Hydra: "mobile Gun Emplacmeent" Energy Weapon.

Estred

I love the Gorgon however it's the only chain-gun in the game. I was trying to figure out how to make a 2nd one without rendering the Ol'Gorgon obsolete. I thought of a very fun idea from an image I saw of  I think a Grineer actually holding a MASSIVE gun that was far to big to move with.

That got me thinking about how cool an Energy Based Chain-Gu. Possibly an Orokin version of the Gorgon that was meant for holding a defensive location rather than moving. So here it is the Hydra (Sorry I do not have a sketch yet as my scanner is not set up).

Hydra

This massive chain gun fires energy enhanced projectiles designed to fight heavily armored adversaries. The longer it's charged the more accurate the shots become.

Damage: 40

Clip Size: 500

Ammo Reserve Size: 500

Fire Rate: 15

Reload Speed: 6 seconds

Spread at 25% Spin: .35

Spread at 50% Spin: .25

Spread at 75% Spin: .15

Spread at 100% Spin: .05

Falloff: 50% less damage to targets within 10m

Damage Type: Bullet

Secondary Damage Type: 20% Extra Damage to Heavy Armored Units

Drawback: Deals 20% Less damage to Light Armored Units

Alright, now as to how this doesn't replace the Gorgon in every way considering it has 60% Higher damage and a massive Clip. The Gun only has 1 reload in it in full so ammo will be hard to conserve with this weapon.. It also gains accuracy the longer it is held but deals less damage at point-blank range where the Gorgon shines. The single largest drawback is aside from spinning where you stand you cannot move while charging the Hydra.

I basically was tossing around ideas of a much stronger Gorgon with much harsher drawbacks if used in the same manner as the Gorgon. When modded one can expect a few things.

- The Spread will decrease as the "poor accuracy" stages are bypassed by Fire Rate Mods.

- If you have the Rifle Mutation from Operation Sling Stone this will greatly help the Hydra

- Shred will work well on the Hydra to let it bypass enemeis in a line.

- 80% Armor Damage making it very effective against Armored Units.

So what do you think? This is a "spur of the moment" so to speak idea that I was really excited about but haven't really done much number crunching so most values are arbitrary. If you like the concept and have an idea of a change or perhaps different functionality post it.

Edited by Estred

Could be interesting, over all limited use except on defense missions, however I don't know if DE would go for it since it forces you to be stationary, as they have stated before when addressing cover systems they want the speed and fluidity of movement to be unobstructed. 

Personally I like the idea.

This massive chain gun fires energy enhanced projectiles designed to fight heavily armored adversaries.

Energy-enhanced projectiles? What is that even supposed to mean?

Spread at 25% Spin: .35

Spread at 50% Spin: .25

Spread at 75% Spin: .15

Spread at 100% Spin: .05

What kind of units are those? I mean the Accuracy deviation numbers.

Falloff: 50% less damage to targets within 10m

That doesnt make sense.

Damage Type: Bullet

Secondary Damage Type: 20% Extra Damage to Heavy Armored Units

Drawback: Deals 20% Less damage to Light Armored Units

The damage Type of a weapon already has "modifiers" on how they interact with different kinds of enemy armor. The kind of DMG you describe here is more akin to AP and not Bullet damage, thus making this gun incredibly overpowered.

I am acutely aware that you said the numbers were arbitrary, but the numbers given by you are insanely huge given the synergy they would have. Innate-AP Damage comparable to the Latron(a semi-automatic rifle) more than 5 times as much MAG-Capacity as the gorgon, and a Fire Rate higher than a Viper would make this the one and only feasible choice for large scale, T3/Regular Endless/Mobile Defense Missions and Boss Fights regardless of how long you would be nailed to the ground.

The thing is, if you want an Energy-based "Machinegun" there already is the Supra available and if you want a Bullet-based Machinegun you have the Gorgon.

Edited by Golgotha

Umm, what about the Supra?

Well I had rather forgotten about the Supra.

Sooo....we want to kill bosses in seconds now?

That is why I said "values are arbitrary" I wanted feedback on the idea not so much the numbers other than please if they are OP help me balance them!

The idea is this:

- Large bulky chain gun that fires energy-enhanced (not energy like Supra) bullets (not quite like Gorgon).

- Becomes more accurate the longer it fires due to nano-tech aiming

- Ineffective at short range

The rest such as damage vs Armored or reload/spreads are just values I made up spur of the moment. If you like the idea of a "bastion gun" so to speak help me balance it.