Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Galaxy Map Backdrop

Why does it now have these hideous, ridiculously dense star textures, in which you can clearly see the tiling. Before it was a bit more seamless, but now 'space' is packed with stars, and you can see where the texture is repeating itself. 

q81g.jpg

Firstly, stars are far less visible in space, unless you're looking through a telescope, there's no atmosphere to make their far off light stand out. 

Secondly, get rid of the horribly tiled texture. 

I have no clue why this had to change for the worse.

This is especially jarring during the mini-intros before the mission (a ship speeding towards the mission objective). I can't remember exactly, but I think those animations used to be a bit different? There was definitely more planets in the first shot (With Mars appearing everywhere. Hello Mars, your Valles Marineris looks especially nice today).

Now that they're removed all I can see is that hideous repetitive texture.

It's so ugly it knocks out my very soul from my body and turns it into a deadly projectile.

Kroeghe, on 15 Sept 2013 - 01:11 AM, said:

This is especially jarring during the mini-intros before the mission (a ship speeding towards the mission objective). I can't remember exactly, but I think those animations used to be a bit different? There was definitely more planets in the first shot (With Mars appearing everywhere. Hello Mars, your Valles Marineris looks especially nice today).

Oh my goodness you're right. I just saw one of the cut-scenes, and the stupid tiled texture lets you clearly see the seams of the box-like backdrop the cut-scenes are rendered in.

Pic:

ajhn.jpg

Edited by 11.11.11

I wonder what happened. It was so beautiful before.

I think what might have happened, was they expanded the size of the backdrop, because peoples cpu's were overheating as a result of the tiny little skybox making their fps soar up into the high hundreds - so to cap off the framerate they made the backdrop much much bigger, but didn't bother to redo the textures, thinking they were seamless, which they clearly arn't. 

At least thats my guess. Would be great to get some DE love in this thread so we know for sure. 

Yay DE! You kind of fixed it! No more horrid repeating texture - but instead...the galaxy backdrop looks EVEN  MORE densely populated :\

Seriously, this isn't just an aesthetic thing, space doesn't look like that from space. 

Curvature-of-Earth-500x375.jpg

Unless we're looking through some sort of telescope at the galaxy map. [image from the Hubble orbital telescope.]

Hubble-Image-The-Galaxy-Puzzle-in-the-Co

Edited by 11.11.11