Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy Damage and Resistance @base&scaling

(PSN)SirHAMsword

For incredibly new players, simply learning to play is an experience within itself. This is partially do to the unique movement that so many love, the mechanics that can be used to mitigate damge, and the intricate system of mods that exist and tug on one's creativity and math capabilities. However within early missions: mods aren't even necessary! This is the case sometimes even past mastery 5. In this way, any well rounded frame with control and damage can be used instead of using modifications. Every weapon shreds enemies all the way up to level 20-30 enemies, and then people are stupified after 45minutes into mot with no knowledge or experience regarding how to amplify their lethality.

There exists no learning curve within this process. Whereas within sorties and other missions of "higher level" enemies, the goal is and must be damage mitigation and recovery due to scaling enemy damage. Instead, it would be nice to see a game that isn't focused on "1shotting" or being "1shot" due to damage scaling much further than defenses. Even with high armor values that many players have difficulty with: a clever hydroid or an all-powerful saryn effortlessly turn yellow health bars red and damage resumes. This is caused in a beloved way on the player side, and a frustrating way on the enemy side.

Player damage scaling should stay vaguely where it is. The capability of allowing people to use their unique styles to turn hordes of enemies into a screen of exp is a well loved piece of warframe. Enemy damage, however, at high levels is monsterous. After a few hours in mot, even the most steadfast rhino has the survivability of banshee due to every single thing causing instant death to the point where people are unaware what even caused their demise. Please even out enemy damage, or allow some sort of scaling resilience for warframes within a mission so that there's a point to offensive portions of abliities like mind control and sheild of shadows. In this way, early game would be more of a challenge and less of a blind grind through a veiled lore. Also, endless missions of hours would be more of a challenge regarding damage dealing (as survivals are already) and less of a frantic spam of dodge in order to mitigate damage or stacking damage reduction strategies in order to extend an inevitable end to not being killed by every bullet flying vaguely near you.

By increasing base damage of enemies at level 1 and scaling them to mission level, this problem could be eliminated. if scaling of enemies were logarithmic in damage, then we would see a "soft cap" that could make only certain enemy abilities kill with a single shot (like a bombard rocket, or a detron blast, or drakgoon direct hit) while heavy gunners wouldn't have a clip full of death. At the same time, it would encourage newer players to adapt their survivability and damage early instead of being dumbfounded later.

Edited by (PS4)SirHAMsword
Paragraphs were a good idea
  • Like 1

Short and sweet answer: new players have to start somewhere. I remember when I started (around Oct 2013), it was just my Loki, MK1 Braton, Lato, and Skana with no mods. I was glad to be able to kill something, but ultimately ended up being carried by players that were further along. (Serrated blade damage was a thing back then) Now, you at least get damaged mods, so that's somewhere to start, but ultimately they need to be able to kill something to progress. I say that's fine as is. The new player experience is a lot better today, than it was when I started. It was, log in, pick a warframe, here's a gun. Now go to Mercury and figure it out. BTW, no ship, and you kneel... in space. Now, there is some story, then you pick your frame, then it walks you through the story, and, "oh... what's that? Is that a ship? It's yours. Now unlock the functions."

As far as the latter portions, Steve laid it out on the white board either this past DevStream, or the one before last. They planned to tweak difficulty in the game. He didn't go into too much detail about tweak how, but tweak nonetheless. He also speaks a lot to your point about more stuff to help new players get into the game. Back to the difficulty point, I would like to see more squishy frames get some way to survive in higher levels, without the need to worry about being one shot. Past a certain level in the game, it's CC, then kill quickly, or get one shot. I've personally never liked that, because it encourages cheese, rather than skill. Hopefully the difficulty update idea will get fleshed out as details start coming in. I'm also hoping it addresses the one shot issue most at higher levels.

• Like 1