Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mutalist Quanta orbs no longer combine and more unlisted changes.

rainy

After 24.3.1 today, the new augment for Mutalist Quanta, and the new change for the alt-fire damage from electric to toxin, I'd like to make aware other unlisted changes to the Mutalist Quanta. The current state has been updated in the wiki.

• Alt-Fire Orbs no longer combine
    • If intentional, Multi-shot's doubleshot and tripleshot orbs are the same as before. Tripleshot orbs do not gravitate to other orbs.
  • Shots fired through the alt-fire orb are given bonus electricity damage instead of toxin, contrary to what the line in 24.3.0 update may lead people to believe. 
  • Alt-fire lists 0% status chance, however the damage-over-time inside the orb has 100% chance to proc status, and the orb explosion also has a high chance to proc the new toxin status.
  • Alt-fire orbs are not created at all by Mirage's Hall of Mirrors.
  • Alt-fire orbs critical damage bonus is no longer modified by critical damage mods.

Edit:

Edit 2: Adding this to keep everything in a single thread, even thought I know it's against what DE asked for in the 'please read this before posting' thread.

• Only tripleshot orbs received the area of effect increase from the 24.3.0 notes (6m radius to 8m). Singleshot and doubleshot orbs remain at ~6 meters. Video proof of singleshot orbs area.
Edited by VhwatGoes
Edit 2

I don't like it, but I don't like what it used to be either. I just think the idea of ruining a guns crit chance and then making up for it by shooting through a ball was a clunky mechanic that doesn't even make intuitive sense.

Maybe if it had been a shield that sticks with the gun, like volt's shield, it would have been interesting as a defensive weapon. Maybe if the balls gravitated towards enemies and did DOT instead of gravitating towards other balls, and didn't gravitate towards an enemy that a ball was already gravitating towards, but retained it's crit boost when shot through, it would have been more interesting.

Edited by SneakyTouchy

There's plenty of "intuitive guns" that have crit and status up to wazoo. Mutalist quanta through its entire history was never one of those intuitive guns or a replacement for volts shield, and I doubt it was ever intended to be one. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for DE experimenting with the concepts you brought up. Only with a new weapon, please. It was it's own thing. It was a weapon that enabled the squishiest of frames to survive endgame content, punished you harshly for not utilizing it's main feature, encouraged experimentation, by allowing the ball work with other weapons, and had a couple of quirks in relation to how you made your build. That's all what it's initial concept entailed.

It's initial implementation was wonky, sure. When your source of defense flies ten meters away from you and you have to catch up to it, it does feel quite awkward. But those are details of the way the weapon functioned. I'm OK with DE changing how much crit/damage orb adds, how far it it flies, how it flies. I have absolutely no problem with DE changing those things, as long as the weapon isn't left in the ditch on the side of the road after some genius tinkers with numbers to "make it more popular" or just for lolz.

This is why it shouldn't be like volts shield, or anything else than it was. Making it stick to the gun would just make it a regular weapon, with the only difference being that you have to press alt fire once and pick up the orb. Making the balls gravitate towards enemies would completely negate the necessity to think before you shoot out the ball, because now all you gotta do is just shoot it in the general direction of your enemy and you will be able to maintain your damage multipliers without thinking about lines of sight.

Still hoping the fact that the orb doesn't block damage is a bug, literally don't care about the other changes.

Edited by WorkingRobot

The gripe I have is that, in order to stand up to other weapons, you have to put 7 forma on it, a riven, and you HAVE to use the orb. This orb is hard to see through and takes a lot of maneuvering maintenance to keep using. It's neither fun nor capable, so I wonder why they even bothered touching it in the first place. Most weapons in the game perform better without Rivens or so many forma. In fact, even a Braton does better with just ~4 formas.

7 hours ago, SneakyTouchy said:

The gripe I have is that, in order to stand up to other weapons, you have to put 7 forma on it, a riven, and you HAVE to use the orb. This orb is hard to see through and takes a lot of maneuvering maintenance to keep using. It's neither fun nor capable, so I wonder why they even bothered touching it in the first place. Most weapons in the game perform better without Rivens or so many forma. In fact, even a Braton does better with just ~4 formas.

It is an MR2 weapon. If it ever had an improved version like a Wraith or Vandal (although it hasn't happened to any infested weapons yet) then you may see some higher level viability from it. It is funky as heck to use, and is a weapon that could honestly use a "rework", and I don't throw that around as if to say "buff".

On 2019-03-04 at 8:27 AM, SneakyTouchy said:

If you don't find it fun, it's a weapon that you can safely avoid. I only wanted to say that the way you play the game ain't the only one around. There are people who enjoyed the basic permise of how mutalist quanta worked, and just because you feel like you wasted time and effort on formaing it, doesn't justify demanding a rework for something you didn't like in the first place.

On 2019-03-04 at 11:28 PM, WorkingRobot said:

If you don't find it fun, it's a weapon that you can safely avoid. I only wanted to say that the way you play the game ain't the only one around. There are people who enjoyed the basic permise of how mutalist quanta worked, and just because you feel like you wasted time and effort on formaing it, doesn't justify demanding a rework for something you didn't like in the first place.

Fun thing about feedback is that I get to share it whether you like it or not.

I don't like the way the gun feels and functions. I didn't demand a rework but I can if I want to, and I should because of how bugged it now is. If you don't like people suggesting ways to make the game better, then keep your thoughts to yourself because your injection isn't justified.