Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nightwave - Pros and Cons

nokturnihs

Pros:

- It helps new players

- It offers a great narrative 

- It offers some "extras" like kuva

- It provides some interesting cosmetics 

- It Provides a way to obtain things from the old alerts system.

- (for those that prefer it) it provides direction and objectives for players to work towards

- It adds cool new mini-bosses to the game

- It offers some unique augments

- It offers umbral forma

Cons:

- It forces players to compete against one-another for kills

- It requires consistently logging in for hours each day.

- It locks some unique rewards behind exclusivity walls

- It can offer frustration when a bug resets your progress towards a goal or doesn't allow you to complete the goal.

- (for those who don't prefer it) - the direction and objectives become a chores list that reminds the player that the fun they were having is just grinding, killing said fun.

- It is currently the only way to obtain Umbral forma

- for those of us who've already used hundreds of forma it becomes a waste of forma.

- It "forces" us to do activities we do not enjoy or actively avoid.

- as it currently is the ONLY method of receiving certain items, and the time investment is so large, there's no way for us to "grind it out" in a weekend for those of us with busy lives.

My personal take:

I think the narrative and help for new players is great. I don't like it myself and would be disinclined to enjoy it if I were a new player however.

I would love to ignore nightwave - I want that umbral forma though. That's the ONLY thing interesting to me on the rewards list - because I either have plenty of, can easily obtain or don't care about the rest. I don't need cosmetics as I have much more than I can use. I can get Kuva easy. I don't need wolf creds. I've spent hundreds of forma to make almost every frame I use (and many I don't) Umbral, just because. I've invested ridiculous amounts of forma on garbage weapons to give me an excuse to do things. 

Before nightwave I logged in for several hours each day, helping clan mates, doing the sortie, doing ESO, helping random pubs I met by giving them syndicate stuff and clearing their star chart. I made my own fun and it was a ball.

Now I see nightwave and it's a chores list to me and forces me to compete against others (which I don't like), do activities I don't enjoy and would never inspire me to play warframe alone, and has one item locked behind hundreds of hours of drag and grind. It's reduced my play time on warframe to a couple hours every week or two, because it's discouraging and because it's not what attracted me to warframe in the beginning. I like working WITH people, not against them. I don't like chores lists and every game that forces me to do them, I quit playing. I want to keep playing warframe because I have not only invested thousands of hours but also thousands of dollars - I'm a proud Prime Access supporter and I have never worried about giving my friends and clan mates expensive gifts (in platinum) for special occasions. It's something I could do to support my community and the developers. 

I want to keep playing warframe. I want to opt-out of Nightwave and have opportunities to obtain Umbral forma elsewhere. I've asked the devs DOZENS of times on twitter if/when we'd see umbral forma elsewhere. But no answer. It's gotten frustrating, depressing as hell, and overall has dramatically impacted my ability to enjoy the game I've played more than any other and spent more on. I would sincerely appreciate some kind of response from DE on the subject. In my estimation they're the best developers in the gaming industry - period. 

Thanks for reading,

-Nokturnihs-