Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please Stop Slash & Burn Game Design

notionphil

I don't think we will see that happening anytime in the near future. Firstly, giving pistols(or any other type of weapon) their own abilities might create some balance issues. Secondly, isn't that the mods' job, to provide special upgrades and abilities?

Nevertheless, it seems like a feasible option. +1

I think what is meant would be to give weapons more character to be desirable instead than just higher numbers, encourage variety over plain statistical improvement that in turn invalidates anything players have worked / paid for previously.

I.E. lets say you have Torid, don't just make another poison grenade launcher but more powerful, make a napalm grenade launcher that does a similar thing but with innate fire damage, make a mine launcher that has a delayed explosion, this sort of thing.

Warframe has glimmers of this at times, but the Slash-and-Burn nature of some content burns it all down.

EX: miter is an interesting weapon. It has innate puncture, it essentially has different firing modes. This was a great attempt at a 'different kind of pistol'. However, it was already outclassed by many other weapons when it was released, making it not desirable. However, if it were put on par initially this would have been a great design.

Dera, Gorgon, Supra, Prime Bratton was a PERFECT example of weapon relationship/balance. Each is better in a different situation, and there are some slight direct upgrades which you have to WORK for. You might want one, or all. You also have the reg Bratton which is easy to attain as a starter tier. Those are weapons that don't destroy eachother's value.

However, then you introduce Soma as a starter purchasable weapon, which outclasses this entire group by factor in terms of damage, acc, clip etc thereby burning that relationship down and effectively 'destroying' that content.

Edited by notionphil

No one has to buy Platinum.

Balancing a game + creating unique content at the same time is VERY difficult!

It is still Open Beta and we have a long way to go until it's not beta anymore. Until then, they work on balancing the game + adding new content.

Be patient. Embrace the future.

I am not being impatient, I think the game design is going in the wrong direction and I'd like to try my best to do something about it.

It is my opinion that going down the slash-and-burn path will result in a short-lived game as opposed to a genre-definiing masterpiece which it has potential to be.