The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Last post wins

Mr.ElevenXI

1000 years from now...

When humanity looks back on the collected knowledge of the internet and comes across this thread...

They will find the meaning of life embed within here.

Too bad, it will probably be so long by then, nobody will actually know it exists!

The secrets of the Threadnought Prime shall remain secret.

Only the worthy shall gain our knowledge.

Only the worthy shall gain enlightenment.

They will find the meaning of life embed within here.

Too bad, it will probably be so long by then, nobody will actually know it exists!

Why do people want to know the meaning of life any ways. What if we as a culture are already predisposed to dislike the meaning of life and we just don't know it yet? We'd probably go to war with the meaning of life and that would just be silly. 

What if the meaning of life was to breed the ultimate player of intergalactic billiards? Should we all give up ours lives to selectively breed such a person? I will stick with giving meaning to my own life, and let everyone else worry about some hidden constant that is the calling of conscious existence. 

/Philosophiezatedizeded/ 

Why do people want to know the meaning of life any ways. What if we as a culture are already predisposed to dislike the meaning of life and we just don't know it yet? We'd probably go to war with the meaning of life and that would just be silly. 

What if the meaning of life was to breed the ultimate player of intergalactic billiards? Should we all give up ours lives to selectively breed such a person? I will stick with giving meaning to my own life, and let everyone else worry about some hidden constant that is the calling of conscious existence. 

/Philosophiezatedizeded/ 

As a Philosophy minor, I have to say my thoughts on this. First, Philosophers like to be charitable towards arguments, and as such, your argument is very similar in form to arguments about the consequences of knowing a truth even though we pursue it. For example, what if we knew God exists and what religion was right? It seems in some sense that the entire belief system inherent in religions would become instantly meaningless. That and all the atrocities committed in the name of someone else's religion that is not the one true religion set in this example would lose their justification.

However, wanting to know the meaning of life stems from the question: "Is/Has my life been meaningful or has it all been just a waste of time?". Different viewpoints have been expressed in different directions, some saying that it is completely meaningless and then no meaning could ever be obtained, for our lives are no greater than that of an oyster, one might say. Others say that our lives are meaningful because of a greater power such as God and others believe that meaning of life should be re-defined as something more closer to a personal life than the overall meaning of humanity.

Anyways, my point is: People will want to know certain facts about the universe that they simply will never know the answer to because either a) they want to find the "truth" or b) they simply enjoy the pursuit of knowledge.

/Philosophiezatedizeded/ 

As a Philosophy minor, I have to say my thoughts on this. First, Philosophers like to be charitable towards arguments, and as such, your argument is very similar in form to arguments about the consequences of knowing a truth even though we pursue it. For example, what if we knew God exists and what religion was right? It seems in some sense that the entire belief system inherent in religions would become instantly meaningless. That and all the atrocities committed in the name of someone else's religion that is not the one true religion set in this example would lose their justification.

However, wanting to know the meaning of life stems from the question: "Is/Has my life been meaningful or has it all been just a waste of time?". Different viewpoints have been expressed in different directions, some saying that it is completely meaningless and then no meaning could ever be obtained, for our lives are no greater than that of an oyster, one might say. Others say that our lives are meaningful because of a greater power such as God and others believe that meaning of life should be re-defined as something more closer to a personal life than the overall meaning of humanity.

Anyways, my point is: People will want to know certain facts about the universe that they simply will never know the answer to because either a) they want to find the "truth" or b) they simply enjoy the pursuit of knowledge.

dammit what are the tags for adding video? the video /video one didn't work

Edited by OverlordMcGeek

If the meaning of life is a constant across all lives then it can't be known. To know it would be to allow the devising of a way to act against it. 

It could be impossible to avoid, but then, that would probably lead it to being technically not constant. It would persist across a life, but would have too large an allowance for variance in its intention to be a true 'constant', roughly like the difference between the set of all numbers, and the set of all positive integers.  

The meaning of life?

The answer is quite simple.

So simple in fact that people already know it, but don't at the same time.

They discount this answer as it does not have the sort of grandeur they want it to have, however they are shooting themselves in the foot by doing so.

The meaning of life is all based on perspective, it will be different for everyone.

What makes life, life?

Why, you do.

For without you, there would be nothing.

Without you, you would never be alive to experience life.

Life is the answer.

The meaning of life is being alive.

What makes life worth living for you guys?

That's the other half of the answer.

Edited by 011100110110000101101101