Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Longsword Suggestions- Community Opinions Welcome!

RejectionOfFate

Okay, topic is self explanatory. Possible suggestions to make Longswords something other than Mastery Rank bonuses and then credit refunds.

I would like to hear to Community's thoughts and ideas on how to make them more useful, so basically, a Brainstorm Topic. Perhaps, if we are lucky, DE could try to test these ideas out with the community, and perhaps make them a permanent feature to the game.

My own idea takes into account that the Longswords are smaller than the Heavy Weapons (Obvious statement is obvious).

-That being said, perhaps the Longswords would have better chances of hitting sensitive areas of their targets, so perhaps a Crit buff.
-Also following the fact that they are smaller than the Heavy Weapons, a possible Rate of Fire (Swing Speed) increase could be beneficial.

-Heavy Weapons, also make me personally feel as if it is more important to Smash, Bludgeon, or Chop enemies as opposed to Slicing and Dicing. Perhaps give a small amount of Armor Penetration to the Longswords(5-15% possibly) to give them some standing against the Heavy Weapons with their staggering blows, with penetrating strikes.

Lastly, the single targeting capability is why so many dislike the Longswords. Perhaps give us a limit of three targets maximum? With the suggested buffs, it could let us feel more along the lines of 'Space Ninja'. Rapid Melee action, cutting through enemies with precise, swift strokes.

Thoughts, Suggestions, Own Ideas, Flames?

I enjoy them. It helps me learn what to factor in, and what not to consider. Go nuts, and thank you for reading.

Edited by HiddenKharma

A good idea I saw was to give them a substantial increase to damage.

This way, longswords are used as the heavy damaging, single target melee weapons. While, the heavy weapons are used for less damage, but able to hit multiple enemies.

Personally, I use longswords anyway.

I don't use melee all that much, so I just go with whatever looks best.

Edited by Nugget_

Well if long swords are going to be limited to hitting a single enemy then they need something to be attractive. If they can't hit multiple enemies then they should be really good at killing one enemy. 

The target limit would just homogenize long swords with heavy/long weapons that do hit multiple targets. I'd rather see them get a significant damage buff and be choice to single targets. The other weapons are capped at how many they can hit. Most are 3 I believe and the Orthos is 5. 

Make them all have unique traits, like increasing RoF on hitting a single enemy with increasing damage (looking at you, Cronus.) Or simply armor ignore, life leech, increased crit rate + multiplier on kill.

Then after that buff longsword damage across the board and RoF. Fix melee mods too, looking at you elemental damage mods.

Single target should definitely stay, I use Longswords almost exclusively because they make me feel like a ninja - I need to time and aim my strikes to be effective, while dual and two-handed weapons just destroy everything on the press of one button.

So, Longswords have a big disadvantage - singular target - and there must be a big advantage to balance that. Personaly, I am a big fan of high risk/high reward weapons, because they reward skill and mastery the most. So how do we make Longswords viable?

Armor penetration is a good idea, but it is already a main appeal of daggers. If we give AP to other weapons, we would just make another weapon family a gameplay orphan.

A few interesting buffs would be:

a) Dramatically increased Crit multiplier without increasing Crit chance.

b) Increased crit chance on ground execution.

c) Smaller radius of jump attack, but higher damage or/and crit chanse 

d) Increase damage multiplier and add AoE effect to slide attack, it's animation begs for effective AoE anyway. 

e) Broader block window than any other weapon in the game.

That would make Longsword a interesting, but not overpowered weapon, with rewards to players favoring mobility, precision and strategy. 

And remember, the harder it is to utilize the weapons potential, the cooler we will look for doing so :)))

Edited by Guiltytwo

Single-target-only just doesn't make sense for a slashing weapon. Heck they're called LONGswords. Secondary targets which come in contact with the animation should at least be staggered or affected by elemental effects such as Mire's poison effect. Longswords should represent versatility therefore they should be able to effect some decent crowd control. Daggers and shortswords and fist weapons can occupy the single target niche just fine.

Instead if improving their stats, DE should give each long sword it's own unique mechanic, that is activated either through normal or charged attacks. For example the famous game Dark Souls had many weapons having unique attacks with interesting effects.

So why not give each long sword something interesting and viable. Like how in the old days of warframe, there was a Dark Sword, which had a unique ability: during the process of charging, Dark Sword would emmit about 10% damage and any elemental effect onto the target. This made dark sword incredibly viable against most foes, as you could stun them with electric mod, before laying down a heavy blow. But that was before the updates... And now Dark Sword is same dull long blade.

Why DE!? Why did you take away that mechanic?!

Instead if improving their stats, DE should give each long sword it's own unique mechanic, that is activated either through normal or charged attacks. For example the famous game Dark Souls had many weapons having unique attacks with interesting effects.

So why not give each long sword something interesting and viable. Like how in the old days of warframe, there was a Dark Sword, which had a unique ability: during the process of charging, Dark Sword would emmit about 10% damage and any elemental effect onto the target. This made dark sword incredibly viable against most foes, as you could stun them with electric mod, before laying down a heavy blow. But that was before the updates... And now Dark Sword is same dull long blade.

Why DE!? Why did you take away that mechanic?!

What do you mean emmit..?

Single-target-only just doesn't make sense for a slashing weapon. Heck they're called LONGswords. Secondary targets which come in contact with the animation should at least be staggered or affected by elemental effects such as Mire's poison effect. Longswords should represent versatility therefore they should be able to effect some decent crowd control. Daggers and shortswords and fist weapons can occupy the single target niche just fine.

I agree with you on this.