Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Uniform Melee Damage Type

Brimir

Lets just scrap the whole Charge/Normal damage mods and have just a uniform Melee damage stat. You'd still have Attack Speed and Charge Speed though. This would be a well-needed buff to melee weapons - no longer would you have to pick playstyle and gimp one in favor of the other.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Brimir

What do you mean? They'd still be exactly as different as they are now. They'd still function the same.

"get rid of them and make them the same but make sure they still function as two diffrent things" 

perhaps you should try explaining what your getting at again since you are making no sense at this point

Ah yes, lets just reduce the already limited variety in builds by combining the only two melee mods that really make you choose.

Variety in playstyle > variety in builds. Merging direct and charge damage is an important first step in making the game's melee combat more fun and viable.

They can (and should) add new mods to fill in the ones "lost" in merging these mods - including more weapon-specific mods like those the Glaive got.

Extremely poorly worded, but I get what you're saying. With the current amount of mods and the mod system it would make every melee build the same. In other words everyone would build their melee weapons like they build primaries. 3 certain mods or you won't do any damage.

Extremely poorly worded, but I get what you're saying. With the current amount of mods and the mod system it would make every melee build the same. In other words everyone would build their melee weapons like they build primaries. 3 certain mods or you won't do any damage.

It's already pretty much like that - the only difference with melee is that you're either going to build for charge damage or direct damage in place of the Hornet Strike/Point Blank/Serration mod. And seeing as how 1) Charge damage it outright better than regular damage and 2) which route you go depends on the weapon more than your personal build choice, it's not exactly a deep decision as is.

"get rid of them and make them the same but make sure they still function as two diffrent things" 

perhaps you should try explaining what your getting at again since you are making no sense at this point

I never said to get rid of either. I'm saying that you should get rid of the two stats on mods and just have one Melee Attack that increases both.

Variety in playstyle > variety in builds. Merging direct and charge damage is an important first step in making the game's melee combat more fun and viable.

They can (and should) add new mods to fill in the ones "lost" in merging these mods - including more weapon-specific mods like those the Glaive got.

But just because I CAN normal attack with my Orthos, doesn't mean I will due to the base stats on the weapon itself. You just don't charge attack with Kogake at all (well, for damage at least, its good CC) and normal swings with the Hate are a bit lackluster.

In order for this change to have any real impact, there have to be weapons that function equally with normal attacks as they do with charge attacks. There are precious few weapons that actually benefit from both mods and in those cases, I will sacrifice other utility mods to slot both Pressure Point and Killing Blow.

You are trying to solve a core melee weapon schema with a band-aid.

So I believe you're saying that charge damage shouldn't be a separate type, but rather a multiplier to the weapon's normal damage?

Ex: 

Sword X does 50 damage normally, charge is 2.5x damage? 

Nothing that complicated. Weapons have initiate Charge and Normal attack values. The uniform melee mod would simply add to both values.