Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

I can't figure out how the Tysis works

Shinyzenith

Question

After using the Tysis for a while with a build I found somewhere online, I decided I quite enjoyed it, and wanted to see if I could optimise said build in any way. This of course involved trying to understand how the weapon really works. I expected it to be simple, but going to the wiki showed me that it did have some unique mechanics. Now, I did manage to figure some stuff out, but eventually I got stuck so I figured I'd come here to see if someone knows more than I do. I'll start by outlining what I *do* know (warning: maths ahead).

So the Tysis has base 9.0 impact damage, 23.0 puncture damage, 17.0 slash damage and 81.0 corrosive. The wiki says that "The 81 Corrosive damage is dealt in 3 ticks of 27 damage, over the course of 2 seconds. This allows a single dart to proc multiple times." This indeed seems to be the case. When using the Tysis there are four instances of damage, The first is 49.0 total (37.69% of the total base damage), and then three ticks of 27.0 (each 20.77% of the base total). As you may know, the actual outgoing damage gets rounded to one sixteenth of the base damage, which seems to be calculated for each separate hit individually. So rounding to 3.0625 (49.0 / 16) means the first hit actually deals 52.0625 damage (9.1875 + 24.5 + 18.375). The three ticks of corrosive damage are rounded to 1.6875 (27 / 16), which 27 is of course a perfect multiple of, but it matters for later when mods are applied.

When modding for more damage, any additional physical damage only enhances the first hit, while any elemental mods enhance all hits according to their ratio to the total base damage. What this means is that if you add a +90% cold damage mod, that the 117 cold damage (0.9 * 130) gets split between the Tysis' individual hits. 37.69% to the first one (so instead of 52 damage it will deal an additional 37.69% * 117, rounded to the nearest multiple of 3.0625, which gives a total damage on the first hit of 94.9375. Meanwhile the corrosive ticks also get extra damage, each one now doing 23.625 damage. I've verified these numbers in the simulacrum (I tested with a charger, which does mean that the actual damage has a +25% damage modifier on slash damage, which is applied *after* rounding to the nearest multiple of 3.0625).

My problem with determining damage arrives when it comes to status procs. There are two things I'm unclear on.

The first is in how the status chance applies. By default the Tysis has 50% status chance, is this 50% combined for all four hits (like with shotgun pellets)? Or is it 50% on each hit? Also, can each hit only apply the status of the damage types it carries (i.e. by default the first hit procs impact, puncture or slash, while the three corrosive ticks each can only proc corrosive)?

Then there's also the damage from status procs. I added a +90% toxin damage mod (this is the *only* mod on it), now the three corrosive procs also carry 23.625 toxin damage each, making it 50.625 total (and indeed in-game I deal 51 damage). When I manage to proc toxin however, I deal 24 damage on each tick, even though I calculated that I would deal 25.65 damage. I got this number by multiplying the base damage of the tick (27.0) with the toxin multiplier as specified by the wiki (toxin +90% which means 1.9 / 2 = 0.95). After that result I wondered whether I also had to round the toxin damage to one sixteenth of the base damage (even though I couldn't find evidence anywhere online that this is the case), but doing that get me a result of 25.3125 damage, which would still be 25 damage per tick, rather than 24. So this is something I don't understand (as a sidenote, the same is true for toxin procs inflicted by the first hit, which I would expect to be 46.55 damage per hit, but in reality only do 45 damage).

It's possible that this is simply related to me not understanding status procs, rather than anything to do with the Tysis specifically. Maybe I overlooked something really obvious, either way I hope someone here can help me out. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Shinyzenith
Fixed a typo

2 answers to this question