The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Weapon/sentinel Mods Can't Be Shared On Primaries... Okay For Secondaries

PunkSucka

Excuse my lack of forum-fu, but my search for this didn't turn up anything. If this has already been addressed and answered, then feel free to lambast me, although linking the appropriate thread would actually be more helpful. :P

I understand and accept the mechanic and intent to not be able to use the same mod for your frame weapons simultaneously on your sentinel weapon. I also understand and accept that even if you have a mod installed on a primary weapon that you currently don't have equipped, you still will not be able to install the mod on your sentinel weapon and vice-versa. However, why are you able to do this for your secondaries and the Laser Pistol? Not that I'm complaining, but it just seems contradictory. Is this yet something else that DE will correct later at an unspecified time?

Pretty sure the whole system itself is not working as intended right now. Check out this thread: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/111875-there-seems-to-be-a-glitch-with-sentinel-weapon-mods/#entry1295053

This guy made a bug report on it here: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/113021-sentinal-weapon-mods-bug/

Actually, I'm in disagreement with the OP in that thread since the inability to simultaneously install the same mod on the sentinel weapon and the frame weapon IS in line with the mechanics of the loadout feature, at least from the standpoint of programming efficiency and management of variables. He thinks it's a glitch that you can't use them just because a mod is installed on a weapon that you happen to not have equipped. What would the proper behavior be if you happened to change your loadout so that it did include a weapon that happened to have the same mod? "You cannot equip this weapon since it shares the same mod as a sentinel weapon." That would be just a horse by another name.

My point is that you can equip mods unrestricted for secondaries on all your pistols AND have the same mods on the Laser Pistol (Shade's default weapon). Again, this is advantageous to the user, but I'm not sure if I'd consider it a bug or glitch. Or at least I'm hesitant to do so, since I'm not sure what the ripple effects would be.

Actually, I'm in disagreement with the OP in that thread since the inability to simultaneously install the same mod on the sentinel weapon and the frame weapon IS in line with the mechanics of the loadout feature, at least from the standpoint of programming efficiency and management of variables. He thinks it's a glitch that you can't use them just because a mod is installed on a weapon that you happen to not have equipped. What would the proper behavior be if you happened to change your loadout so that it did include a weapon that happened to have the same mod? "You cannot equip this weapon since it shares the same mod as a sentinel weapon." That would be just a horse by another name.

My point is that you can equip mods unrestricted for secondaries on all your pistols AND have the same mods on the Laser Pistol (Shade's default weapon). Again, this is advantageous to the user, but I'm not sure if I'd consider it a bug or glitch. Or at least I'm hesitant to do so, since I'm not sure what the ripple effects would be.

It is 100% in line with the mechanics of the loadout feature. It is also 100% out of line with the intention of the loadout feature. The intention of the loadout feature is to make switching and modding weapons more convenient.

It is not convenient when you want to stop using your rifle and switch to a shotgun, forcing you to unequip all mods from all of your rifles. Sometimes multiple builds on a few of the rifles, all so your Sentinel's rifle can be effective.

It is 100% in line with the mechanics of the loadout feature. It is also 100% out of line with the intention of the loadout feature. The intention of the loadout feature is to make switching and modding weapons more convenient.

It is not convenient when you want to stop using your rifle and switch to a shotgun, forcing you to unequip all mods from all of your rifles. Sometimes multiple builds on a few of the rifles, all so your Sentinel's rifle can be effective.

The current system allows that. You can equip the weapon of choice, but you just cannot equip that particular mod. The argument can be made that particular mods may make or break a certain weapon, but that's besides the point. You cannot (at least not yet) use two primary weapons at the same time, which means that a mod that happens to be equipped on both can only be used in one instance. By being able to use the same mod on both the sentinel AND the frame weapon, you're basically getting double use out of the same mod. Would it really be more convenient to have a bunch of if/then statements to verify that your particular loadout of choice just so happens to not have the same mod used than the currently selected loadout on your sentinel? How would you build that flowchart? I'm not even talking from a designer perspective. If you found out that a loadout you came up with for your frame couldn't be used because a sentinel weapon happened to have the same mod, unless the UI told you specifically which mod on which weapon (since they are interchangeable now), how would you find out? Why have multiple possible points of non-continuation (i.e., "you can't do that because these possible reasons"), when you can have a single (albeit kinda unfortunate) one?

It's kind of like the issue of when you find out that if you increase the rank of a mod beyond the max capacity of a frame or weapon, the UI only tells you ONE of the items that it will affect. If you still want to increase the rank, you basically have to go back to ALL your frames and weapons to find out which ones have that mod and are at full capacity. This isn't so much of a glitch as it is a VERY inefficient UI feature. Now imagine a similar situation, except throw in multiple loadouts on multiple platforms (frame and sentinel), with multiple weapons. And then add on the possibility of multiple mods being affected. Sounds like fun.

I suppose the simple answer is "Well, change it back so it's non-exclusive." That would be convenient, wouldn't it? I guess that depends on how much DE wants to hold on to the intent that I originally described in the first paragraph.

On a separate note, I think I found a bug report for the issue at hand: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/111382-sentinel-can-equip-same-mods-as-my-pistol/. Curious to see what happens. It'd be nice to have some discussion before a "fix" gets pumped out into the wild.

Edit: spelling correction.

Edited by PunkSucka

I also find this odd.  I can have the same mods on my secondary weapon as I can have on the Sentinel Pistol.  However when I switch to the Sentinel machine gun or Sentinel Shotgun we get the error.