Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why even have a Matchmaking Ping setting...

Zelmen

I keeps you from connecting to hosts outside of those parameters. 

Unfortunately not all networks are created and remain equal. Someone else may start using bandwidth while your host is unaware. 

Note that it does not keep the ping from going high. These are variables only the Host can change, better internet or no bandwidth leeches. 
It just keeps you from getting matched with someone were your ping would be ??? or higher. Only on initial contact, those numbers can change afterwords. 

Warframe is Peer to Peer. 

2 hours ago, ShortbusGangster said:

I keeps you from connecting to hosts outside of those parameters. 

Unfortunately not all networks are created and remain equal. Someone else may start using bandwidth while your host is unaware. 

Note that it does not keep the ping from going high. These are variables only the Host can change, better internet or no bandwidth leeches. 
It just keeps you from getting matched with someone were your ping would be ??? or higher. Only on initial contact, those numbers can change afterwords. 

Warframe is Peer to Peer. 

First off I understand peer to peer and how connectivity is monitored. All you did is explain just that and had nothing to do with how this option is useless. There is ways to understand this data and make it work.

They should be taking a sample of over different intervals rather than what I expect to be a one time check. It would be even better if they kept a statistic from last play session of what players normally experience. Yes ping can change but usually it is something like 100-200 swing not 1k+ swing. Anything with that big of a swing does not sit at low ping for long. This setting is misleading and does not function properly. So rather than trying to educate people why it is broken, how about you stop sheltering them and add solution to make it work if you understand it so well.

There should also be an option for voting to change host for when algorithms don't work. Thats called being redundant so players can have the best experience. That is for a different topic.

2 hours ago, Zelmen said:

Anything with that big of a swing does not sit at low ping for long.

When I have zero network congestion, I rest at a ping of 31ms, sometimes 41ms depending on the DNS they assign me. My average ping in warframe is 40-90.  

2 hours ago, Zelmen said:

Yes ping can change but usually it is something like 100-200 swing not 1k+ swing.

If I were to max out my available bandwidth, all 2.8mbps of it. Anyone not within my network would get a ping upwards of 1,000ms. 
Now lets introduce some Wi-fi instability, and a much bigger distance allowed by the 300ms parameter. 

3 hours ago, Zelmen said:

This setting is misleading and does not function properly.

It functions exactly as it should. It keeps you from joining hosts too far away, or too bad of a network match. Reduce your limit to 100. 

So rather than trying to educate people why it is broken,

It's not. 

how about you stop sheltering them and add solution to make it work if you understand it so well.

Not sheltering anyone. There's not much you can do about the fact someones internet may go from perfectly stable to absolute garbage. 

I like the idea of 

an option for voting to change host

I myself would find this useful as sometimes I can't host because I am aware of my poor network conditions. Yet Host Migration sticks me with the task. 

But at the end of the day, there's not a lot you can do aside from making someone else a host. This is how networking works, it's never always perfect. Introduce Peer to Peer...