The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Stupid Tax, Am I Screwed?

SaredKilvan

Question

So I spent all my intro platinum on my first day buying more revives while I was learning the ropes. That bad right? Gotten much better and don't die anywhere near as much. Now I'm skill capped on my Volt and several weapons and am trying desperately to figure out how to craft an Orokin Reactor/Catalyst with access to only 1-15 content. Is the early-on buying of revives a stupid tax? Am I completely screwed? Would I be better off trying to get another beta key elsewhere and re-starting? Is it possible to craft/trade a reactor/catalyst? Don't want to put up five bucks for a game I've only played a day in beta.

Edited by SaredKilvan

5 answers to this question

Orokin Reactors and Catalysts can be created in the Foundry, however you need to find their Blueprint first. Some ? Alerts will drop them.

? Alerts are Missions within the system that are randomly generated (Time, Location, Prize) There is a small chance that these catalyst and reactor blueprints can be found in them.

I would actually recommend spending the 50 starting plat on WarFrame and Weapon Slots, as you can't get them with anything but platinum.

SaredKilvan dont stress it to much you will be ok without purchasing anything anytime soon.

Like Azure said you can get them from alert missions that have a ? in the reward box. You can check here on forumns and a lot of us will post what the ? prize is for that alert mission and if you ask for invite for the mission most will help you out if you cant get to the mission yet.

Also you can still continue to level your warframe and I would recommend it because you can still use higher mods with the higher level you aquire both with your weapons and your warframes.

Than when you get the blueprints for a reactor or catalyst just farm the mats and make it after that your weapon is upgraded besides that you can work right now for new weapons. I would recommend getting the best weapons you can before putting a catalyst in it anyway because putting it in your MK1 is gonna be useless because you will replace that weapon.

Another way to get orikin catalysts/reactors is from the login rewards. Or by high level bosses. But if you're starving on credits, sell some mods.

And just like Xarchangel said dont use a catalyst on low teir weapons. Get somehting like a gorgon, boltor, furis, or the Afuris.

Just not the MK1 braton. Although if you have it. The vandal isnt bad to use it on.

It isn't particularly a stupid tax, it is just a one time learning fee for games like this. Never buy revives. Even if the game only gives you 4 revives ever and after that you always have to finish in one life, never buy the revive.

Just think of it as an experience thing. Now you know, don't buy revives in any free to play game.

As for the uses of platinum, the first 50 you get really don't go very far anyway. There are choices for each person about what to do with the 50 plat, or with any platinum someone buys, and it all depends on the player. But the catalyst and reactors that have you stressing don't require platinum, just patience. Like others said, you might get it in the log in bonus if you are very lucky, or just keep watching for alert missions and do any alert that has the ? pop up as a reward. Those are your more likely source even if they are rare.