Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Defense Mission Waves

Sion_Archer

Hi, I want to share another "pitch".

It's about defense missions!

I love them! at the same time, there is something MISSING to make me say and stay at the notion I love them.

TO defend something wave by wave sure is quite fun, but not for long...because you just DEFEND something...That's about it.

How about something, new? a refresher?

What if the object you are protecting has a phase mechanic? you got thresholds until it is ultimately destroyed?

Let's say that the Crypod or object had an "UPGRADE" visually and mechanically, rather that just a slab of cold tubing...what if it was more complex? By visually I mean...it has visible armor plating, components and circuits?...and your enemies has to break them one by one, drastically losing thresholds of its integrity then...you fail the mission because now it's destroyed.

Here's the mechanics.

Let's divide it into 4 parts, each having the percentage of 25%. When enemy units damage a part even if higher than its designated percentage the part will not be destroyed, that's "normal damage". Then later on enemies deal 25% of that damage within a certain time frame, the part would be destroyed. Let's call that severe damage. Unless repaired...the cryopod/object will only recover 75% of its total hp/shields depending on the part type.

But that itself is just simple. We add variety, if it receives HP damage, that is the only time the 25% threshold can be reached for the part to be destroyed. Then if it's shields, it could either interrupt hp recover, shut down shields, release a discharge damaging everything around it...whatever is the take. Not only is shield gating available to players and enemy units alike, but also to defended ally assets. 

So if it takes damage equal to 25% of its HP integrity, a part is destroyed. If it takes equal to 25% of its shield integrity, any of the mentioned above can happen. 

If 3 parts are destroyed, the crypod/object is now in a bad condition of 25%. Of course it would have COOL animation where you can identify that indeed a part is either broken or DAMAGED and gone. 

But it can still be repaired or restored, giving emphasis to ROLES once again. Damage, Support, Aux, and Defense. 

From a certain pitch I raised about excavation, we can apply a much more intense and demanding repair mechanic. There would be a unit that carries energy or resource that powers up our repair tool, which would be necessary for us. We won't be able to restore or repair a part IF we do no have such resources. Lets say if you picked a 3 "NANOGEL" cells, the cooldown of your return tool will be refreshed with an amount of 100%. Not only can a squad PLAN who repairs it, but also manage the RESOURCES To do so. 

But here's the crazy part, if the last part is then damaged to 10% remaining hp, you can no longer repair the parts and it will be permanently stay at 10% as the remaining recovery threshold can be repaired!. Making it much more challenging if you want to reach that EXTRACTION! To make that possible, let's say that when a cool animation when the fiber glass that protects the cryopod/object is either cracked/fragmented/removed, a blast door or armor just covers/replaces it.

Moving ON, how can such circumstances be possible? Let's go with a new spawn mechanic, A new wave would only show up if all enemies are killed. Won't overwhelm ya but it's just a simple waiting game where you either dump enough damage or the enemy dumps your defense mission.

But that's BORING. How about if we ramp it up? 1 min, a new wave will spawn progressively. It will no longer spawn anymore when you reach the 4th wave. Now defense is fast paced, you feel that you are indeed DEFENDING something because the enemy wants to destroy it.

Why won't it spawn anymore NORMAL enemy waves when it's the 4th wave? Simple.

The 5th wave is a miniboss, yes...a MINI BOSS. It can be exilus or whatever DE wants to put...But after 3 full rotation, you encounter a BOSS. (I might make another pitch to improve bosses, but for another time.) Anything that fits the mission NODE.

Until you kill that miniboss, you won't progress to the rotation.

Not only is the defense mission intense, but also full of variety, warframe roles are revived to their intended purpose hopefully.

I do hope DE takes a look, but as usual it's just a pitch and its a privilege if they consider reading this.

For those who read this, Thank you.

• Like 1

old warframe gamemodes need a heavy lifting for sure.
but i think DE will not bother changing defense missions as they have better to do on future story content, kuva weapons and railjack updates.

having unique  biohazard each waves (like in hive missions), miniboss and such is a very cool idea. we could also have a waves of one specific enemy flooding the area or mini event like a hunter coming on the map to hunt the player instead of the cryopod, etc...