Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why PoE & Orb Vallis aren't Open World

I applaud development for implementing modes of transportation, mission types, mini-bosses, points of interest and resources to mission tiles that are static. That's not open world, though.

These two editions essentially act as a static mission tileset with multiple missions types available- yet subjected to the same restrictions as normal missions. You have no real base of operations other than the resident faction (none actively in the 'world'). You are limited to 4 people per session. There are no public events. There are no unique NPCs, just mission peddlers. 

Coming from a long stint in Destiny and experience with games like DC Universe Online and Elder Scrolls online, you might see how I could perceive the idea of Fortuna/Cetus's value proposition of being "Open World" as simply false advertising. They're dynamic mission deployment zones, not Open Worlds. I hope this idea is taken into consideration long before the release of the Duviri Paradox as Warframe is boring for most players past MR 12, being, things become far too nebulous, "progression" is hard to define and there's a wide talent gap between completing the star chart and solo-ing Profit Taker, Eidolons, or Railjack that doesn't get closed without top players cherry picking apprentices.

Even as I personally cherry pick apprentices- in particular a friend of mine who began playing in August at MR 0 who is now MR 20- can accomplish everything on his own except Profit Taker, Eidolons, or Railjack. Getting to a high MR doesn't mean you've grinded focus. It doesn't mean you've accumulated forma. It doesn't mean you have the mods. Or the builds. Or the knowledge to use any of the aforementioned effectively.

~I say this to reinforce that making Cetus and Fortuna true open worlds gives new players a platform to meet veteran players, receive mentorship and get invited to clans more cohesively. This also allows them to have a chance at receiving loot and progressing in the aforementioned areas that are otherwise impossible to complete until they reach a point in their Warframe career that isn't being emphasized, or even encouraged. Doing those missions (PT, Tricap, RJ) is really some elite s*** and getting the builds together for them requires much time and intentionality for little reward. It would be great to see a rework in those areas before Duviri Paradox.