The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Please prevent premature host migrations?

Hi [DE],

Please could you prevent premature host migrations in public missions? 

For example, I've gone into a public relic mission and, as soon as I get there, the host decides to quit. This throws everybody else out into a solo event while possibly losing progress, cast abilities and perhaps rewards and/or loot in the process. According to responses on the forums, this is quite a common and annoying occurrence.

I'd like to offer a possible solution, if I may? What if a Host decides to quit for whatever, Ordis assumes control over the 'empty' Warframe (in a similar behaviour to Excalibur Umbra)? At least, until the game has ended, everyone else has quit or extracted. 

I'd also like to request that people are unable to see which relic is equipped on other Warframes because it's being taken advantage of by a certain type of relic farmer... I write this during the time of Titania Prime's release; it seems that players are starting missions then quitting after observing the 'wrong' relics equipped on team members. This is disruptive and can cause losses of rewards and progress through the game. 

If my suggestions are not possible to impliment, please could you work on another solution?

Thanks for your time

- (Xbox One) Primus Patronum 

3 minutes ago, Genitive said:

But somebody will have to take over as a host anyway, so what's the point?

I understand that it's the host's machine which would be the point of issue... but I don't know enough technical detail to know what is and isn't possible as a solution. That's why DE's technicians get paid their wages and I don't. 🙂

Just now, (XB1)Primus Patronum said:

I understand that it's the host's machine which would be the point of issue...🙂

Exactly. When the host quits someone else needs to take over since the game works on peer-to-peer model.

If you want to avoid host migrations the best solution would be having servers we could connect to. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

If you want to know more on Warframe's networking, refer to the thread below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/84gbrp/warframes_peertopeer_networking_and_why_its_a/

11 minutes ago, Genitive said:

Exactly. When the host quits someone else needs to take over since the game works on peer-to-peer model.

If you want to avoid host migrations the best solution would be having servers we could connect to. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

If you want to know more on Warframe's networking, refer to the thread below.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/84gbrp/warframes_peertopeer_networking_and_why_its_a/

I see. 

Would it be possible for every member of the party to share a kind of mirror, then, that would feed a fifth invisible user (Ordis, in this case)? The idea being that if host drops out, the mirror takes up the slack, shared between 3 machines, then 2 then 1, if need be? 

I think this used to be called a 'page file' Windows used to use on an external HDD or Raid system? It could grow and feed everyone else's kinda like a Torrent?

Again, I have no idea what is and isn't possible on [DE]'s end of things. I don't want to presume their position on anything to do with this.