Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Rethinking Mobile Defence

bejuizb

I'm guilty of grinding Kappa whenever I need to speed level new weapons or Warframe. Through this repeated process, I've come to the conclusion that that game mode isn't truly mobile Defence. It's just a fusion of Deception and Defence. I thought up a new idea which would change the game play and make the mission truly mobile defence.

http://imgur.com/MZkXQlf

That was a rough sketch I threw together which hopefully explains my idea well enough. The initial bit of the mission is okay, but the point where the datamass is dropped into the first terminal can change. Instead of it just being a defence point, the purpose of defending it would be to provide time for the Lotus to unlock a section of the door housing the cryopod (which is the last defence component in the present game mode).

Tenno defend the terminal while the Lotus bypasses the terminal. On successfully unlocking one side, two Tenno go to the central chamber and guard the cryopod from being sabotaged by the mobs. The remaining two Tenno bypass the next terminal, and the cryopod becomes free. Then on activating the two switches, the cryopod begins to move away from the central chamber down a wide transport tunnel.

The Tenno must move along with the cryopod while defending it the whole way. The mobs spawn from the front and from the back and appear from many access doors along the tunnel. Two Tenno can cover the pod from the ground while two others can cover the pod from over head walkways. The last part of the mission would be to defend the pod while it is being loaded into the Tenno ship.

The Tenno also have the option of bypassing two terminals which would speed up the loading process, thereby reducing the amount of time they have to defend during the last section, but the risk is that the Tenno guarding the pod might get overwhelmed. 

I personally feel that this breaks the monotony of the mission and also removes any stupid loopholes in the mission. In the current gamemode, the cryopod is just left there after the time period is over. No one appears to recover it. Although the argument might be that there would be a team to recover the pod, wouldn't the Grineer have time to scuttle the pod by then? 

I'd love to know your opinions on this idea. My apologies if I didn't make some stuff clear.

I like the concept of having options to separate the squad up for efficiency, or stay together for protection. Breaks up the monotony to a certain extent, and allows some degree of strategy - like laser in void def.

My initial thought was, what about shorter periods of defense, at random locations on map, but that's pretty much survival mode.  So, yep +1.

What about having grinner entering into the bypass rooms during the missions and using terminals to slow down or reverse the speed of the cryopod? Long range weapons might be able to snipe them through windows.

Also, loading the cryo into a ship might be a bit complex. who loads it etc? Maybe it just goes through a set of doors which then seal. We can assume that was an extraction point.

I like the concept of having options to separate the squad up for efficiency, or stay together for protection. Breaks up the monotony to a certain extent, and allows some degree of strategy - like laser in void def.

My initial thought was, what about shorter periods of defense, at random locations on map, but that's pretty much survival mode.  So, yep +1.

What about having grinner entering into the bypass rooms during the missions and using terminals to slow down or reverse the speed of the cryopod? Long range weapons might be able to snipe them through windows.

Also, loading the cryo into a ship might be a bit complex. who loads it etc? Maybe it just goes through a set of doors which then seal. We can assume that was an extraction point.

That seems good. But that needs some serious cooperation in terms of load outs, which might be an issue while playing in pubs.

That seems good. But that needs some serious cooperation in terms of load outs, which might be an issue while playing in pubs.

Without a long range weapon you'd have to climb the stairs etc and go kill them, or spam shots from a regular gun.

BTW you just inspired me to make a post of new mission types, thanks!

Edited by notionphil

Without a long range weapon you'd have to climb the stairs etc and go kill them, or spam shots from a regular gun.

BTW you just inspired me to make a post of new mission types, thanks!

No problems. New ideas are awesome aren't they?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...