The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Pokemon X / Y Friend Code / Discussion Thread

Azure_Kytia

I've got a fair amount of scythers too with technician, adamant nature, and 2-3 max IV's (still trying to breed one with 4, which would be solid enough for me). still attempting to breed a good gale wings fletchling, too, but recently I've just been filling the pokedex and evolving pokemon I'm never going to use. so does anyone know how the shiny rate works on the friend safari? like, does the rate increase only if the person you got it from is online, or is it just naturally higher in the friend safari? and does the same go for the rate of finding a pokemon with its hidden ability?

also I finally caught a female frogadier with protean, so I've been breeding a few froakies, but I'm not sure what nature I'd want for them. 

Been having a ton of fun random-match single-battles online, only my Ferrothorn is properly IV/EV bred, but my teams works with some success. I would like to note that I hate every ****** with a geomancy Xerneas with every fibre of my soul. Just nothing I can do to it, it gets +2 stages to SpA, SpD, and Speed in a single turn (with herb) and then demolishes everything forever. Actually made me pack a taunt aerodactyl just incase

Been having a ton of fun random-match single-battles online, only my Ferrothorn is properly IV/EV bred, but my teams works with some success. I would like to note that I hate every ****** with a geomancy Xerneas with every fibre of my soul. Just nothing I can do to it, it gets +2 stages to SpA, SpD, and Speed in a single turn (with herb) and then demolishes everything forever. Actually made me pack a taunt aerodactyl just incase

Yeah, I can't stand people that bring legends to battles. Geomancy + Moonblast = gg.

Let those Guys talk to my gardevoir and gengar.

That would be a good idea, but your average attack Xern has night-slash for coverage I've found (he's just as good at both types of attack). So far, my tactic was to have my Zoroark ready disguised as one of my dragon types to tempt it into fairy-attacks right off the bat, then I can use thief/choice trick to grab the herb and $&*^ around a bit with him. Otherwise, i'm usually starting off with Ferrothorn. Dat 20 speed/120atk STAB gyro ball cares not for xerneas attempts at SpD bulk.

That's the interesting thing with online randoms, you have no idea what the enemy team order is really going to be. It really makes you realize there just isn't a one-safe-bet team setup to get consistent wins, and that there's people out there with a lot more investment into their battle Pokemon then you'll ever have (fought one guy the other day with around 680 hatched eggs in the info blurb. Ouch!) been having a lot of fun with the new system, even if I face what feels like the same assembly of Pokemon constantly (Blaziken (standard momentum speed booster), Dragonite (power coverage, multi scales, weakness policy), Mawile(intimidate mega huge-power, sucker punch, play rough, bulk) , Azumarill (belly drum/huge power/ ouch), Duskull (evolite sub pain split set, wrecked by choice trick Zoroark though), etc)

Infact the only really creative thing I've seen so far was a guy's klefki built entirely around very effective harassment (swagger might as well be Frozen status with my RNG luck)

Still working out the patterns I'm seeing and how I want to build up my team, again only my ferrothorn is properly built so far (IV breeding is a lot easier this gen, thank god, only had to hatch a few dozen eggs to get 5 perfect IVs (low speed)

Also got my eyes peeled for a Venomoth in friend safari. I want to see what can be done with a baton pass/quiver-dance/sleep powder/focus sash setup

Edited by LtZerge

Wait, you have a Dark type pull a Fairy type move? ._.

Hmm, What dark type used a fairy move? If you mean trick it's psychic, otherwise I have no idea what you're referring to

EDIT: or you mean Zoroark sponging it? no way is it sponging it, just trying to lock it by making it not want to boost first. I won't switch Zoroark in on xerneas, I'd start with it. Zoroark is notably faster, especially with choice scarf

Edited by LtZerge

My Aegislash says hello. :P

Ghost/steel?  My Delphox says Hi.   Besides if i do any online matches its ranked. wich doesnt allow Legendaries. on the note Legendaries. I put another Dragonair on the GTS. asked a second yveltal... one day later i got myself a second yveltal. Are people just lazy or am i "lucky"?

Ghost/steel?  My Delphox says Hi.   Besides if i do any online matches its ranked. wich doesnt allow Legendaries. on the note Legendaries. I put another Dragonair on the GTS. asked a second yveltal... one day later i got myself a second yveltal. Are people just lazy or am i "lucky"?

Well, assuming it's a standard shadow sneak/shield build, delphox wouldn't have a lot of fun dealing with it at all, especially if it had the chance to sword dance first turn (which it usually can, in shield form) Actually shadow sneak spam might be fun with metronome (who uses that? lol) for a laugh, you almost never see normal types around to block it, and nothing has a 4x resist to it so the double damage will still let you pummel dark types into the ground as well as anything else

Well, assuming it's a standard shadow sneak/shield build, delphox wouldn't have a lot of fun dealing with it at all, especially if it had the chance to sword dance first turn (which it usually can, in shield form) Actually shadow sneak spam might be fun with metronome (who uses that? lol) for a laugh, you almost never see normal types around to block it, and nothing has a 4x resist to it so the double damage will still let you pummel dark types into the ground as well as anything else

Mhm that does make sense. I seriously need to learn alot of stuff then. havent played since Saphire and at that time i didnt know about all the "meta" stuff. Heck i never even got to finish the game lol.

that's awesome, I should start trading off dragonairs, haha. were either of those yveltals from different language games, because maybe the other person wants to try to breed a shiny dratini. that's the only explanation I could see. at least friend safari dragonairs have 2 31 IV's, so breeding them is pretty good at least

I always wondered why metronome wasn't used more, I mean it's a novel item, but a fun one. I wonder if more normal types will see use to counter shadow sneaking aegislash. but aegislash can learn sacred sword, so, there's that

I haven't broken into the competitive scene yet, but does basically everyone have a protean greninja? and what kinds of sets do they normally run, mixed attacks? I'm wondering partially to make sure I can counter it, and partially so I can breed a properly competitive one

I haven't broken into the competitive scene yet, but does basically everyone have a protean greninja? and what kinds of sets do they normally run, mixed attacks? I'm wondering partially to make sure I can counter it, and partially so I can breed a properly competitive one

Feels like it. Protean Greninjas are, however, gimmicky in their ease of prediction. For example, on my Goodra I max my SpD with assault vest/sassy and max my SpA to make a "reply" build to special attackers. When greninja comes out thinking he's just going to ice-beam me away, all that happens Is I lose around half my HP then immediately hit him with flamethrower for super effective damage and he falls over. 

that's awesome, I should start trading off dragonairs, haha. were either of those yveltals from different language games, because maybe the other person wants to try to breed a shiny dratini. that's the only explanation I could see. at least friend safari dragonairs have 2 31 IV's, so breeding them is pretty good at least

I always wondered why metronome wasn't used more, I mean it's a novel item, but a fun one. I wonder if more normal types will see use to counter shadow sneaking aegislash. but aegislash can learn sacred sword, so, there's that

Well they were American yveltals for all i could see. i'd have to double check.  And does anyone know. if i give say my Delphox a power bracelet. the stat that it saves during beeding in what way does it get transferred to the hatchcling? just the IV or EV? or both? considering both of those things still dont make sense to me.... im somewhat understanding it but i cant see anywhere in a pokemons stats what its Iv's and EV's are

Well they were American yveltals for all i could see. i'd have to double check.  And does anyone know. if i give say my Delphox a power bracelet. the stat that it saves during beeding in what way does it get transferred to the hatchcling? just the IV or EV? or both? considering both of those things still dont make sense to me.... im somewhat understanding it but i cant see anywhere in a pokemons stats what its Iv's and EV's are

interesting. and yes, the power items transfer that one IV from the stat they boost. how those items work in battle is that they give you 4 EV's when you defeat a pokemon (actually Idk how they work with horde battles, or I guess even double battles. man, and I thought I was a breeder..). its easier to think of IV's as genes. you can somewhat check EV's and IV's, but nothing is really certain unless you keep track of everything or use an online IV checker (veekun.com has an excellent one for generation 5 and before). otherwise, the super training tab shows you the pokemon's base stats and an imprecise overview of effort values (the hexagon with the stats shows base stats in the middle [dark green], and the yellow bits are effort). plus there is a progress bar on the right side, and when it fills up, you've hit 510 effort points

IV's are a little tougher, you can talk to the guy in kiloude city's pokemon center and ask him to judge the stats of your pokemon. he'll tell you the overall status of the pokemon's effort values (above average overall, outstanding overall, etc.), which gauges the total IV's of the pokemon. then he'll tell you your pokemon's highest stat(s), and how high it is (it can't be better in that regard means that it has a max IV, of 31). he'll also tell you if your pokemon has a particularly low stat

but getting back to the power items, you can pass down one IV guaranteed if you use the power items. but if both parents hold one such item, then it chooses randomly one of those. thinking about it now, I guess that's actually good, because it would be problematic if you had both parents hold the same item. but I actually didn't realize this, and when I found out I was kinda pissed that I sacrificed guaranteed nature (using everstone) for an extra 31 IV, and then I didn't even get that. still got a pretty good victreebel. in gen 6 they also updated the destiny knot item so that if one parent holds it, 5 random IV's from both parents will be passed down. this is the best way to get really good IV's onto a pokemon, I think, but it requires quite a bit of luck. probably faster than hoping for randomly good IV's, though. oh, but otherwise, the mechanics are that 3 random IV's are passed down from the parents, but if you use the power items, that takes up one of the 3

if you need any more breeding/IV/EV info, I'm sure those of us who frequent this topic can answer them

On the breeding note, I find it easiest to chain breed a good IV spread for the egg-group you need from the friend Safari, but of course you need a varied friend safari (not like mine, lol, lots of rock/normal people) and try to to get a maxed IV male from the required egg group. Remember to replace the female in the daycare if you get a female egg hatched from your batch of eggs that carries over good IVs, eventually you end up with a very good chance of max IVs. Power items are largely a waste with destiny knot as Wallace mentioned, and one parent should likely have an everstone to make sure the eggs have a good nature. I got my Ferrothorn to 5 max IVs in a few hours

As always, have a flame-body/magma-body pokemon at the start of your party when breeding. Slugma are easy to find for this, and halves the amount of 'steps' needed to hatch eggs.

I actually re-organized my PC boxes by egg group. its kinda how it was before (which was by habitat...sort of), but this made things easier to find in terms of breeding natures onto pokemon, and finding compatible pokemon with good stats

anyway, on to relevant stuff, LtZerge's comment reminded me, that talonflame/fletchinder was such a clutch addition to pokemon. I mean, a pokemon that has flame body and can fly? its amazing for breeding. at first I did what I typically do as a breeder, and set up a nice box with good dittos and a flame body/magma armor pokemon, plus some other good pokemon I want to breed (mostly dream world ability females. I'll also probably never transition into calling them hidden abilities, for the record). so I caught a nice slugma from the friend safari and thought that was pretty convenient. but then I realized my talonflame had flame body. its a game changer. because when breeding, I'd have magmortar (for flame body) and braviary (for fly) on my team until the eggs started piling up, then I'd have to leave braviary in the box. but, at least in black 2, it was super convenient to fly from the day care to join avenue to use the nurseries, or to fly to the battle subway to talk to the IV checker to find out if the newly hatched pokemon were any good. but now, in gen 6, that's all consolidated into one pokemon. dunno if this was intentionally amazing, but there it is

its a game changer. because when breeding, I'd have magmortar (for flame body) and braviary (for fly) on my team until the eggs started piling up, then I'd have to leave braviary in the box. but, at least in black 2, it was super convenient to fly from the day care to join avenue to use the nurseries, or to fly to the battle subway to talk to the IV checker to find out if the newly hatched pokemon were any good. but now, in gen 6, that's all consolidated into one pokemon. dunno if this was intentionally amazing, but there it is

Ah, volcorona in the previous games could have both flame body and fly, btw, that's what I used. In the new ones I completely forgot about talonflame, so thanks for that.

Ah, volcorona in the previous games could have both flame body and fly, btw, that's what I used. In the new ones I completely forgot about talonflame, so thanks for that.

oh.. well I feel silly now, haha. guess the point is talonflame is easily accessible.. yeah I'll go with that