Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Sotr Concepts] New World: Tartarus, The Infested Dreadnaught (Vectis Revision)

Siubijeni

This sound interesting. Many long for something new involving infested.

The idea of a new tile, and a higher intelligense, paired with new enemies and some solid Lore is all good.

Zero G combat in space sound awesome.

Dont know if im thrilled about all the keys tho.

And while not your concept, Baphomet could make an apperance as well.

The idea of a new tile, and a higher intelligense, paired with new enemies and some solid Lore is all good.

Baphomet and Tartarus are both in my stories already. lol. Though Tartarus was mentioned only, I plan to use him in the next installments.

Definately interesting concept. Though I'd imagine that The Dreadnaught will be an end-game planet, possibly even the highest level infested "planet". I think it'd be much more fitting to have Tartarus drifting at the very edges of the solar system instead of closer to the sun than mercury. It would give it a much more desolate feel, which should go well with the Infested.

The concept of the levels sound highly inspired by Dead Space, particularly the vacuum parts, walking on the hull etc. Not that I mind, it seems interesting. The Favored and the revenants in general sound cool, even though they sound lore-breaking (I'm pretty sure canon-wise the Tenno cannot get Infested).

The 3 boss fights sound cool as well, though the Favored one might be too much to handle (4 "Stalkers" at once? @#$%#$%).

Either way, a pretty interesting and original concept, though I doubt DE will actually take the time to do something this elaborate. They're too busy releasing the next community-splitting event and the next power-creep weapon.

Definately interesting concept. Though I'd imagine that The Dreadnaught will be an end-game planet, possibly even the highest level infested "planet". I think it'd be much more fitting to have Tartarus drifting at the very edges of the solar system instead of closer to the sun than mercury. It would give it a much more desolate feel, which should go well with the Infested.

The concept of the levels sound highly inspired by Dead Space, particularly the vacuum parts, walking on the hull etc. Not that I mind, it seems interesting. The Favored and the revenants in general sound cool, even though they sound lore-breaking (I'm pretty sure canon-wise the Tenno cannot get Infested).

The 3 boss fights sound cool as well, though the Favored one might be too much to handle (4 "Stalkers" at once? @#$%#$%).

Either way, a pretty interesting and original concept, though I doubt DE will actually take the time to do something this elaborate. They're too busy releasing the next community-splitting event and the next power-creep weapon.

Actually, I've never played Dead Space and know almost nothing about it. However, I can't say the similarities are purely coincidental, because I was going for that kind of eerie horror feel, and the infestation is somewhat similar (as I understand it) to the zombie/mutant dealio going on in DS. But yeah, it could be placed at the outer reaches of the solar system, too--we only put it near the sun because that end of the system is closer to Earth and the other planets that we generally thinking of heavily inhabited bases, so it seemed that he'd be better able to draw in Infested Derelicts from there.

As for the lore part, I'm fairly certain that the Tenno can get infested--Hayden Tenno did, but as the first that's not a definitive example. The impression I've always gotten, however, is that they are more resistant to it (and that it has something to do with their relationship with the infestation to start with, indirectly related to willpower and presence of mind), and that their Warframe exoskeletons offer a not insignificant impediment and possibly total immunity. In that case, the idea was that Tartarus can't directly corrupt the Warframe, but approaches it via a longer, slower corruption of the individual inside, breaking their minds to break their bodies, in essence.

The idea was that the four Favored aren't directly equivalent to Stalker, they aren't as... berserk, I guess. They are more tactical. Specter, for instance, would hang back and be a supportive fighter. The only one that would be as directly threatening and single-minded as Stalker is Ghoul. Anyway, the idea is that it is a hard fight, but it promotes tactical support and aggro control. You can't just stand on a crate or something, like you can with Stalker. Divide and conquer, maybe have a couple of guys with automatics be a distraction for the supportive casters while two heavy weapons guys take down Ghoul, so on.

Thanks, haha. And don't worry about the keys, they aren't meant to be very hard to get. The main idea is that there's something else that the coords are used for because I for one have half a million of them. You don't buy them from the market cause the derelict keys are already there, but you'll probably average 1 every 2 missions, maybe even 1 a mission. We don't mean for the keys to be the limiting factor, but the high levels of the infestation here--this is a more end-game world, like Pluto or Ceres.

As for Baphomet, I actually came up with most of these concepts for Baphomet. But it was felt that Baphomet was an idea that no one wanted tied down, and I deleted all of my posts in the Baphomet topic so that people wouldn't associate this new Tartarus concept with Baph, or Baph with Tartarus (not right off the bat, at least). Tartarus' armies of Ancients and Revenants, for example, were originally Baph's charger hounds. They do very much compliment eachother, and Baphomet could even be a random encounter or one of the bosses with little to no adjustment to the lore involved--maybe his voluntarily joining the infestation is what prompted Tartarus' idea to create the Revenants and his Favored. Y'never know, right?

so you mean those fomorian ships turned into infested and will now kamikaze infect an entire planet converting those planets to infested being themselves?

anyways, please tell me we get to beat the crap out of them from inside, i wanna see some guts flying

-snip-

Actually bro, I've ended my background stories, but I'm considering side-stories while the game is not officially released (I'll do the main story again when the game releases so as not to conflict with lore). But for me Tartarus is but one of the many sentient Infested around. Much like Cerebrates in Starcraft and Baphomet is Kerrigan. That's why in my universe, Baphomet is the Infested Patriarch that balances out the other Infested Factions of Lephantis, Tartarus and Phorid. It's more like Baphomet is trying to keep them from killing each other.

Actually bro, I've ended my background stories, but I'm considering side-stories while the game is not officially released (I'll do the main story again when the game releases so as not to conflict with lore). But for me Tartarus is but one of the many sentient Infested around. Much like Cerebrates in Starcraft and Baphomet is Kerrigan. That's why in my universe, Baphomet is the Infested Patriarch that balances out the other Infested Factions of Lephantis, Tartarus and Phorid. It's more like Baphomet is trying to keep them from killing each other.

Again, lol, a lot of different ways Baphomet and Tartarus could be used in relation to eachother. I'd probably prefer something more like Baphomet as a separate entity... he can still be the inspiration for the Favored from afar. The possibilities are literally endless...

so you mean those fomorian ships turned into infested and will now kamikaze infect an entire planet converting those planets to infested being themselves?

anyways, please tell me we get to beat the crap out of them from inside, i wanna see some guts flying

Ummm.... sorry? No, the Fomorian ships are integrated into the rest of the Dreadnaught, there's no kamikazing of any sort. The Tenno do go aboard it commando-style, but its never actually blown up or anything. Its a very dangerous place, even we Tenno have to rely more on hit-and-run tactics. We'll see what happens in the future, but for now Tartarus is a very real threat. And every time the infested take over a ship, Tartarus can reach out and bring that ship to him to make the dreadnaught even bigger, to make himself even more powerful, or even just to make the Tenno cleansing that ship have a more difficult time of it.

Edited by Siubijeni

Oh, hey WondahBoah long time no see! Thanks :P You see the others we put up? I can't recall for sure which ones you commented on, and thus which ones I know you looked at...

Fraid I'm running out of Warframe ideas. Course, neither me nor Vangaurd play all that much anymore. Him cause he got bored, me cause I got disillusioned and I'm basically waiting for U11 to make me excited again, haha. And, of course, I've also been working on making a game of my own, so my thinking has been going in that direction...

Haha, well, we/I am working as fast as we/I can. I've finished most of the player character models and am moving on to the easier assets, and I think we've finally settled on how we're going to do the combat/weapon systems. The one thing that's still a little up in the air is whether its actually worth the integration of space and ground combat. Most people I've talked to don't seem nearly as excited by the idea as I and my friends initially were. Its kind of discouraging and makes me want to focus on one aspect or the other, at least to start with.

My buddies and I discussed it, and we might have a solution. Split the plot and game into three, basically. The first game focuses on ground combat, the second brings in the fighters and carriers (if the first works well), and the third ties them together (provided the series makes it that far). Plotwise, this makes sense too--an initial surprise attack by the pirates, repelled by the colonies and corporate security forces; a counter-push by the colonial militia formed in reaction, with minimal support from the corps since they aren't actually in immediate danger anymore; and a final campaign to eradicate the pirates, taking their home worlds and bases.

In other words, progress is considerable, especially considering this is mostly a 2-man operation... but making a game isn't all that easy, so it'll probably be a while yet. I'm optimistic though.

• 2 weeks later...