Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Secondary Weapons Crit Build Inefficient

Da_Killa

Secondary weapons have the lowest critical stats , maximum being 15% chance , and 150% critical damage . While that is high enough for a crit build , the crit mods don't help at all (10% crit damage and 20% crit chance).

Vasto is one of the secodaries with good crit stats, so I'm going to use it as an example

Viability:

Considering the vasto's base stats (50 damage , 15% crit chance , 150% crit damage) its effective damage would be:

53.75 effective damage / shot

If we add in a maxed crit chance mod(120% increase) we get a 33% crit chance which turns effective dps into:

58.25 effective damage / shot  - 8% damage increase 

If we take out the crit chance mod and we add the crit damage mod (60% increase) we get 240% crit damage which means:

60.5 effective damage / shot - 13% damage increase

If we add both in , getting 33% crit chance with 240% crit damage we get :

73.1 effective damage / shot - 36% damage increase

For my effective damage calculations I used the following formula if anyone is wondering:

DAMAGE*(1-CRIT_CHANCE) + DAMAGE*CRIT_DAMAGE_MULTIPLIER*CRIT_CHANCE

A 36% damage increase for 2 maxed mods on a crit weapon seems quite a small increase , when rifles can get the effective damage more than doubled.

Even though this damage increase applies to elemental damage as well , it still isn't enough , because with a crit build you won't have space for more than 2 elemental mods, this considering the following mods :

Hornet Strike (+dmg), Faction mod , Barrel diffusion (Multishot), Lethal torrent(multishot + fire rate), and the two crit mods , thus leaving space only for the AP mod and another elemental mod.

Conclusion: I believe secondary weapons should have a viable crit build, thus either a boost in crit stats would be needed , or an increase in the crit mods stats.

You should consider higher multishot count, where every additional bullet has it's own crit chance.

Of course , I do consider that , but everything gets applied for each bullet , including elemental mods , and when you have a mod that adds 90% electrical damage .... and two crit mods that should be really effective for crit weapons apply only 36% increase to damage ... it makes you think which is more efficient .

And yes , I do know that crit damage multiplies already existent elemental damage , and elemental damage only applies to base damage, still if you make the math ... with 2 elemental mods on the weapon and 2 crit mods you get around the same dps that you get with 3 elemental mods... and that leaves an empty space..... for another mod

And using a crit build on Dread for example ( which isn't the best at crit stats out of the primaries ) yields a 125% dps increase, because its crit stats are better and mods are better.... this is without including the corrupted mod and hammer shot

Edited by Da_Killa

It depends on what you're using it for.  Your ammo efficiency and AP damage per shot will go way up, but your DPS plummets.  It's actually perhaps a better situation than the rifles because it isn't so obvious which choice is better.

Also, my math: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlWVt6vp3-YWdHZJRTBvRTBrNGNrb3dNbEZsc0tZVHc#gid=0

I wouldn't be opposed to a minor buff if these stats were sticking around, but this is a minor issue with Damage 2.0 looming.

Edited by Volt_Cruelerz

That's my point , even if it definitely is open to discussion whether you should or shouldn't use a crit build , there should be secondary crit weapons. And by that I mean secondaries that actually gain something solid from crit builds , with damage 2.0 coming the AP damage that you get extra from crit builds will be even less important ....

And it will all depend on the changes to elemental damage , cause if it will be impossible to stack more than 2 elemental mods.... crit mods will be primary choices for last mods.

BTW, awesome graphs, it looks like the whole wiki in a single document xD.

Edited by Da_Killa