The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Urgent: Stop translating mods from English to any language

I'm Brazilian, mastery 30 and I play it for years now and my native language is Portuguese. English seems to be pretty much a global/universal language easily accepted to refer to things like "Iron Man" movie, no one anywhere on the planet says that franchise title in his own language - because it has become a thing already. We had that on Warframe, from which the title isn't translated either. No one here says "Homem de ferro" for Iron Man nor "Quadro de guerra" for Warframe, because some stuff simply doesn't require translation. Well, this is happening here.

Apparently the translation efforts are currently trying to translate mods in-game, starting with Railjack's latest update and this is worrisome. Not for me since I can speak different languages, but I'm a clan owner and I'm starting to see some sort of confusion among players from different countries, that speaks only their own language, specially the older ones (used to the old mods and guns names etc).

The worst translation at this time is with the arcanes. We have been using English named arcanes for ages now, suddenly Arcane: Grace is now translated as Arcano: Graciosidade, which rendered funny moments between us while we tried to adapt. As for me, I had to give up my own Portuguese interface so I could keep the track the way I'm used to. The problem is: When a Portuguese or Brazilian newcomer asks me which mod or arcane to use, the link I give to them never works on their end. So sometimes I'm forced to play on Portuguese and deal with my own confusion.

The translation should be there to help players that doesn't know English, such as but not limited to subtitles, menu and other things that requires reading. But they never had a single problem with any mods name. The translation is actually doing the opposite of helping, when they're trying to make a deal with foreign gamers around the globe but the mod they're linking each other won't match their own end on the chat. It can get really confusing and this is dividing the situation. I suggest either avoid translating the mods due its classic and very old nature, or make the link of a mod or item translate back to the user's end.

Now forget that I'm from Brazil and think how gamers from Japan or Germany are dealing with those mods names, if no one in the planet is speaking about the same items names.

Some of them are being translated purely out of its fantasy name into something even more problematic, not just mods, but also syndicates (unnecessary translations such as Red Veil etc) and missions to enemy's name - with no specific rule. The best example I have is why translate ''Shadow Stalker" as "Stalker das sombras" for example, if "Stalker" in Portuguese also means "Perseguidor"? So the translation can't fill the whole "Perseguidor das sombras" because Stalker is a proper name noun, but Shadow isn't? So Shadow is a class that needs translation? Weird.

I don't understand the rules applied for translation, if only certain names can be subjected to translation, I honestly think this is a mistake already having confusing consequences. I won't just suggest translators to stop here on Brazil but also around the globe, unless Digital Extremes can work on a solution for each chat having the links. The name of bosses and enemies will still be confusing to refer to someone from another country, but the mods are my main concern.

Here's hoping Digital Extremes will take a note on this humble feedback and make something to fix this situation falling into an alarming avalanche of confusion.

Archived