Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

More Randomized Level Layouts And More Epic Feeling Boss-Fights As A Result

Notso

The way the current system works (as far as I am aware) is that there is one level layout for each environment type, with a different route through that level for each mission. This leads to each mission feeling very samey.

Instead, each mission could have a randomized level layout, where the order entire room assets are generated each time you start a mission. As each room is essentially a seperate game asset, it should be quite easy to construct a program which builds a new level layout every time you start a mission.

This would also allow boss-fights to take place right at the end of a mission (the next room you walk into after beating the boss is the extraction room). The current system for all boss-fights (or at least the ones I've encountered thus far) where it takes place half-way through the level encourages people to simply abort the mission halfway through if they don't get the BP they want.

Thoughts?

Edited by Notso

The map layout is already generated exactly as you proposed, with each room being randomly chosen and connected to other random rooms.

As for boss rooms always being connected to the extraction, I actually think that this would result in less exciting boss missions. From my experiences the number of enemies seems to rise dramatically after killing a boss, often resulting in the escape being tougher than the boss fight. I for one like that a lot.