Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Gradivus Dilemma and Tethra's Doom, the missing story quests.

Riot_Inducer

After reading this thread, I got to thinking about how events often introduced important story beats and lore that are now inaccessible to new players and I realized there were a couple of points in the existing quests that seem to assume knowledge of some of this event story/lore. Thus my suggestion here on how to turn a choice few of these older events into quests that would smooth out new player understanding of the world and story of Warframe. 

To start with, as a new player unlocking the Mars junction you are rewarded with a quest, "The Archwing". The codex summary reads, "The Balor Fomorians are coming but we are ready. Through your efforts we finally have a working Archwing prototype and I am sending you the blueprint. However your task is not yet complete. You still must discover the component parts." Holy crap that's a full paragraph of complete non-sequitur to a newbie tenno hot off of Vor's Prize. The quest also continues apace throwing you into this storyline with nary a single explanation as to what an Archwing actually is or why you need it to fight these Balor Fomorian things. This quest badly needs the context of the Tethra's Doom event that introduced Vay Hek's plan to build a new fleet of Fomorian battleships.
As such to fix this we wont' actually be adding a new quest so much as changing how The Archwing quest works. Instead of beginning in the middle of the storyline the quest would open with the Tethra's Doom missions; an interception mission to learn the location of the Fomorian Power Cores and then a Hijack mission to steal the aforementioned power core. After these two missions we also get to deliver this glorious transmission in game! 

Spoiler

After the Tehtra's Doom missions the quest would transition back to the existing format of the quest as is, however as we are adding missions to the quest we can trim the three 1 excavator missions into a single 3 excavator mission to get all the archwing parts at once. It may also be worthwhile to include a truncated Eyes of Blight/Fomorian Sabotage mission at the end of the quest to have a satisfying resolution of destroying a Balor Fomorian to cap off the quest. 

With these changes The Archwing quest would be a complete storyline that gives new players a complete experience while still accomplishing everything the current quest does. It also introduces Vay Hek as a character in a meaningful story arc. With that in mind let's move on to the other event that I believe should be made into a quest.

The Gradivus Dilemma, arguably one of the most famous of Warframe's events, but why does it deserve to be a quest? What would it offer? Firstly it would serve as a tutorial to the Invasion system and the concept of allying yourself with one of the enemy factions against the other. Secondly, and possibly more importantly it would serve as story introduction to Alad V (and Sargas Ruk). Given how large a role Alad plays in The Second Dream quest I think it's very important that new players get a chance to encounter him outside of his assassination mission on Jupiter. And the Gradivus Dilemma really lets him show off his slimy self as whether you side with or against him you'll get plenty of dialogue snippets that let you begin to understand his character and the nature of his Zanuka project.

Archived