The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chronos: The Timeless [Warframe Concept]

Cptcuddlybuns

CHRONOS moves through the currents of time, striking his enemies with the ferocity of the past, and the mystery of the future. (Well, that was pretentious.)

Chronos used time-based powers, but does not rely on them for combat. Multiple edits suggested by Cobalt13

Rough stats:

Health: 100

Shields: 150

Armor: 50

Powers:

Burnout: Time destroys all. Ages  a single target, weakening Armor, shields, and damage done. Upgrading increases how much it weakens. (might make infested ancients stronger. Put a bit of situational awareness in there).

Reinforce: Chronos brings his future self to his side. Creates clones of Chronos with random (higher or lower leveled) gear/warframes. Upgrading improves the duration/number of the clones. Other version suggested by cobalt: Summons a clone of Chronos that fights for a set duration, then forces the player through the same actions (name: Paradox).

Backtrack: Chronos takes a step back. Places a waypoint on the ground. After a set amount of time, the player is reverted to that point. Health, energy, ammo, and shields would be reset to the amount it was at the time. Energy used by Backtrack would not be refunded, however. (Would be useful for charging into a room, tanking a lot of damage and spamming powers, then jumping back a few seconds, out of the line of fire and with all damage taken negated). Upgrading increases the amount of time before reverting.

Time BombChronos rips a hole in time, locking enemies in place. AOE stun that does no damage, but (unlike freeze) is not cancelled by damage dealt. upgrading increases duration/range.

Other possible powers: 

Time ShiftThe sands of time are always shifting. Teleports Chronos to a random area (within a certain distance) with a different amount of ammunition/health (but not below a certain range). Didn't consider too much as a primary power idea because it's incredibly RNG. Could be useful to get out of a sticky situation, but could put the player in an even worse one. Upgrading increases the chance of an increase in health/shields/energy/ammo.

Stretch TimeWhen Chronos is nearby, you have all the time in the world. Extends active power duration for nearby teammates. Upgrading increases duration...of...other...duration. Suggested by Hanselhoof.

Appearance: 

Armor has sections made of clockwork, overall a steam-punk-Esq aesthetic. Possibly hourglasses in there somewhere. As usual, any artists out there would think this is cool would be awesome if they drew it. Like, so cool. cats-wearing-sunglasses cool.

Other concepts by me:

Dragen: self-harm emo 'Frame

Gungnir: Sniper warframe

Kelpt: Power-stealing frame (coming soon)

Edited by Cptcuddlybuns

This sounds awesome, but Backtrack needs a rework imo as cooldown abilities don't really seem like a thing here.

Also, Time Bomb seems a bit out of place.

Time Bomb: Chronos opens an rift into different spaces in the flow of time, and after a short duration, shuts the rift violently. All enemies caught in it are forced into different times during the mission. I'm not sure how past would work, but present would stun and damage them, and future would warp them to various places over the map.

I'm not at all sure if this would work, but it's something pretty cool to consider.

Another idea for your single target ability would be like forcing an enemy briefly into the past, making them relive a few seconds of the fight. So say you use this on a boss right after Rhino stomps them and they are shot a bunch, some kickass animation would display and they would be re-stomped by Rhino and re-shot by everyone, taking all of the damage and applying all debuffs/buffs."

Also, Chronos could be turned into a much more supportive frame, with abilities like:

Stretch Time: Chronos extends the duration of all squadmate's currently active abilities by x%. Also increases squad run speed by x% until the last ability affected by Stretch Time ends.

This sounds awesome, but Backtrack needs a rework imo as cooldown abilities don't really seem like a thing here.

Also, Time Bomb seems a bit out of place.

Time Bomb: Chronos opens an rift into different spaces in the flow of time, and after a short duration, shuts the rift violently. All enemies caught in it are forced into different times during the mission. I'm not sure how past would work, but present would stun and damage them, and future would warp them to various places over the map.

I'm not at all sure if this would work, but it's something pretty cool to consider.

Another idea for your single target ability would be like forcing an enemy briefly into the past, making them relive a few seconds of the fight. So say you use this on a boss right after Rhino stomps them and they are shot a bunch, some kickass animation would display and they would be re-stomped by Rhino and re-shot by everyone, taking all of the damage and applying all debuffs/buffs."

Also, Chronos could be turned into a much more supportive frame, with abilities like:

Stretch Time: Chronos extends the duration of all squadmate's currently active abilities by x%. Also increases squad run speed by x% until the last ability affected by Stretch Time ends.

Cool idea! I think I'll leave Time Bomb, though. I think a massive stun would be useful. But the reliving damage/teleporting enemies thing is a good idea, I'll try and figure something out for it. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I like the concept of a chronomancer frame (especially if it means clockwork designs), I'm just worried some of these ideas may be impractical or hard to implement as-is. I have a couple suggestions for tweaks, though:

Backtrack: Since the game can't actively keep track of your position and stats by timestamp, instead Backtrack creates a "checkpoint" of where you are and what your stats/ammo are, then gives you a certain amount of time to do whatever you want before you are automatically rolled back to that point. Upgrading the mod gives you more time before you are reverted. Good news, you get back any ammo, health, and energy you lost during that point, bad news you don't keep any health, ammo, or energy you gained past that point. You would probably still keep any items or mods you found, or perhaps wouldn't be able to collect any for the duration of the effect, just to make sure it doesn't get deleted.

Reinforce(alt name Paradox): Might need to change this one, IMO. Just the idea of a random frame being summoned sounds potentially unhelpful, especially since after Damage 2.0 widened the gap between the quality of certain kinds of equipment. I could envision something like a copy of you appears and provides backup for a while (possibly even reviving you if knocked down), then requiring you to follow a tracer of whatever actions it took after it appears to complete the loop or else take a certain amount of backlash damage, but then that doesn't sound too practical either. I dunno, we might need to think more about this one.

Burnout: I kinda like the concept of an age-to-death ability, and the idea of it backfiring on certain enemies by making them tougher with age does sound interesting, but it feels like it would be kinda tricky to add without making players too scared to use it unless there was still some benefit to having to deal with "elder" variants, like guaranteed loot drops.

Time Bomb: ZA WARUDO!!!! ...reference aside, it's a guaranteed AOE stop power. I have little to complain about there. I might also suggest it may serve as a less-efficient Snow Globe-esque shield as new enemies and projectiles are unable to cross the event horizon of the effect until it ends, at which point they all cross at once.

Also some thoughts on the alternate ones:

Time Shift: Also sounds too random to be practical. No likey.

Stretch Time: Has potential; increasing the duration of your and other frames' powers sounds useful, and to fit the theme I could also see a slight boost to attack and movement speed, as well, or at least have it effect more things than just Frame powers in fitting ways.

And an idea I had for your consideration:

Time displacement: Thematically you teleport yourself a few seconds into the future, but gameplay-wise you temporarily become invisible, intangible, invulnerable, and immobile for the duration of the effect. Might come in handy for saving your own hide long enough for your allies to draw everyone away from your position, though it could also have a slight AOE damage effect upon re-entry to make it seem less context-sensitive.

Oh, and another thought I had: what if the Time Bomb effect stopped all projectiles that both hit the event horizon and were fired within the area of effect, so though you wouldn't technically be able to kill anything inside while it was in effect, the moment it ends everyone that's been attacked takes all that accumulated damage at once?

I like the concept of a chronomancer frame (especially if it means clockwork designs), I'm just worried some of these ideas may be impractical or hard to implement as-is. I have a couple suggestions for tweaks, though:

Backtrack: Since the game can't actively keep track of your position and stats by timestamp, instead Backtrack creates a "checkpoint" of where you are and what your stats/ammo are, then gives you a certain amount of time to do whatever you want before you are automatically rolled back to that point. Upgrading the mod gives you more time before you are reverted. Good news, you get back any ammo, health, and energy you lost during that point, bad news you don't keep any health, ammo, or energy you gained past that point. You would probably still keep any items or mods you found, or perhaps wouldn't be able to collect any for the duration of the effect, just to make sure it doesn't get deleted.

Reinforce(alt name Paradox): Might need to change this one, IMO. Just the idea of a random frame being summoned sounds potentially unhelpful, especially since after Damage 2.0 widened the gap between the quality of certain kinds of equipment. I could envision something like a copy of you appears and provides backup for a while (possibly even reviving you if knocked down), then requiring you to follow a tracer of whatever actions it took after it appears to complete the loop or else take a certain amount of backlash damage, but then that doesn't sound too practical either. I dunno, we might need to think more about this one.

Burnout: I kinda like the concept of an age-to-death ability, and the idea of it backfiring on certain enemies by making them tougher with age does sound interesting, but it feels like it would be kinda tricky to add without making players too scared to use it unless there was still some benefit to having to deal with "elder" variants, like guaranteed loot drops.

Time Bomb: ZA WARUDO!!!! ...reference aside, it's a guaranteed AOE stop power. I have little to complain about there. I might also suggest it may serve as a less-efficient Snow Globe-esque shield as new enemies and projectiles are unable to cross the event horizon of the effect until it ends, at which point they all cross at once.

Also some thoughts on the alternate ones:

Time Shift: Also sounds too random to be practical. No likey.

Stretch Time: Has potential; increasing the duration of your and other frames' powers sounds useful, and to fit the theme I could also see a slight boost to attack and movement speed, as well, or at least have it effect more things than just Frame powers in fitting ways.

And an idea I had for your consideration:

Time displacement: Thematically you teleport yourself a few seconds into the future, but gameplay-wise you temporarily become invisible, intangible, invulnerable, and immobile for the duration of the effect. Might come in handy for saving your own hide long enough for your allies to draw everyone away from your position, though it could also have a slight AOE damage effect upon re-entry to make it seem less context-sensitive.

Oh, and just for balance considerations, I'm thinking you should switch the first and third powers; Rollback would cost 75 energy to use so it doesn't become too overpowering, and the single-target armor-stripping attack becomes more spammable at 25 energy.