Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

Jade color channels are awful

PheonixFontaine

Like Yareli's weird muddy skirt texture, colors on Jade just... don't sit right. They all end up so muddied and off. The secondary channel looks to be the worst, but every single channel ends up slightly grey and color-shifted. What's the point of palettes if we're not allowed to use the colors close to the picked color.

Hot pink on the Classic Saturated palette comes out bubblegum pink.
Browns from the Ki'teer palette range from puce to grey.
Dark purples all are grey. Dark blues almost mirror the same colors as the purples, the shift is negligable in some cases.
Oranges are salmon. Reds are salmon.

This looks terrible. All frames suffer the issue to some degrees where the color isn't quite right when put on a frame in various channels, but I think this is definitely up there for me.

Edited by PheonixFontaine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, OneOmniverse said:

True, I have seen it happen on other frames, but I'm not sure how to go about correcting it. Like, what actually goes into fixing something like that? 

The second emissive does control the sheen, but there's a slight off-coloring tinge to the whole thing. It's purely a texturing issue. You'll see it with any Voidshell skin where you can pick the textures that the color applied changes values.

As to fixing it, I think they'd need to make an entirely new UV map at a guess. A lot of work, but ultimately it could end up being skipped and put on the "later" pile. If nothing else I want them to stop leaning on these horribly dulled frames. The character identity is not lost because "it wasn't gritty looking enough" or whatever logic goes into the muddiness and desaturation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PheonixFontaine said:

The second emissive does control the sheen, but there's a slight off-coloring tinge to the whole thing. It's purely a texturing issue. You'll see it with any Voidshell skin where you can pick the textures that the color applied changes values.

As to fixing it, I think they'd need to make an entirely new UV map at a guess. A lot of work, but ultimately it could end up being skipped and put on the "later" pile. If nothing else I want them to stop leaning on these horribly dulled frames. The character identity is not lost because "it wasn't gritty looking enough" or whatever logic goes into the muddiness and desaturation.

Oh, you mean the pile that's never-ending, the pile they add to every update, the pile that piles the pile. 

I'm seconding this. A very generous soul just gifted me Jade out of the blue and I've been trying to decide on her fashion, but this is getting in the way. I wanted to give her trans flag colors, so I went with white for her arms and wings, blue underneath, and then pink for metal and energy. This looks fine on its own, but the colors are handled very differently from her syandana and it looks strange no matter what I do. I can get the blues to work out fine, but not the pinks, and it's vexing my OCD ass badly.

• Like 1