The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nyx Full Rework Concept

Since we've gotten news of a light rework for Nyx I was thinking about what the team has in store for us. This led me to spiral into a full (more complicated) concept for how Nyx could better fit the psychic role. So to get the psychic worm out, I propose the following changes.

Passive

Current: Enemies have 20% reduced Accuracy when targeting Nyx (except while Absorb is active).

Revised: Nyx harnesses and manipulates the mental energies of her enemies.
Nix reaches out with her psychic influence to enemies that target her causing them to have reduced accuracy and marking them for her psychic network. Enemies added to her psychic network charges her mental powers and reduces their cost.

Enemies targeting Nyx have 20% reduced Accuracy and are added to her psychic network.
Nyx's abilities drain and add to the Psychic Reservoir.
Ability Efficiency increases as her Psychic Reservoir fills.

I think Gauss is one of the best designed Warframes in terms of the ability feedback loop. A core part of this loop is the Redline bar which can be interacted with by all abilities, this allows the player to have multiple options when it comes to ability synergy. With this in mind I've designed Nyx around the idea of a psychic reservoir that can help alleviate the psychic strain of bending reality and controlling enemies.

Ability 1: Mind Control --> Psychic Bolt

Current: Nyx launches a cluster of force bolts at enemies (6), using telekinesis to adjust flight paths and seek nearby targets. Hits strip some enemy defenses.
Scales with: Strength (Defense Reduction), Range, Duration (Debuff)

Revised: Nyx launches a cluster of psychic missiles that hone in on thought (10). Hits strip enemy defenses and add their minds to Nyx's Psychic Reservoir.
Scales with: Strength (Number of Bolts, Defense Reduction), Range, Duration (Debuff)
Cost: Energy, Psychic (Max 5%) (Augments Number of Bolts)

Psychic Bolts already feel like the de-facto primary ability of Nyx due to how simple and useful it is; with this change it cements that position. Moreover, the amount of psychic bolts directly increases the effectiveness of this ability; with the power level of the game I don't think it's unreasonable to have it scale with ability strength.

Ability 2: Psychic Bolt --> Mind Control

Current: Nyx invades the psyche of a target, confusing enemies and making them fight for the Tenno cause.
Scales with: Duration (Control), Range

Revised: Nyx snaps her fingers and invades the minds of targets in a cone in front of her. Marked enemies are are indoctrinated at a reduced cost. Unmarked enemies are added to the psychic network and contribute to the Psychic Reservoir.
Scales with: Duration (Control), Range(Cone Radius). Ability Strength(Max affected targets)
Cost: Energy, Psychic (Max 25%) (Augments Max Targets)

Reworking friendly AI is a herculean task that goes outside the scope of a Warframe rework, but where we lack for quality we can make up for it in quantity. This will also fill the previous CC role that Chaos had which will free up an ability slot for something more interesting.

Ability 3Chaos --> Assimilate

Nyx draws from her psychic network and assimilates the mental energies of all marked enemies, harnessing it as a defensive field. Charges the Psychic Reservoir. Mind-Controlled targets grant more energy.
Scales with: Duration (Buff Duration), Strength (Damage Reduction %)
Cost: Energy

This helps with Nyx's survivability without limiting her speed. This also acts as a direct means to charge her Psychic Reservoir for it to be used by other abilities.

Ability 4Pandemonium

Nyx unleashes all her gathered Psychic energies and creates a shroud of crushing psychic energy that drives madness and confusion into enemies. Nearby enemies are dealt adaptive damage over time and have a 40% reduction to accuracy (Including against friendly target and objectives).
Scales with: Duration (Buff Duration), Strength (Damage), Range (Shroud Radius)
Cost: 100% of Psychic Reservoir

This gives Nyx the ability to deal with hordes, support her team, while also stopping her from being another direct nuking frame.

I've purposely been vague with the numbers due to not having any ability to playtest this so those decisions would be best left to the Dev team. The one exception to this is the Psychic bolts, I want the bolts to naturally have a higher number of projectiles to give it a bit more oomph than what we currently have. Another proposal would be to have the bolts pierce (maybe an augment). I've also tried to maintain a level of simplicity with this concept as Nyx is an early frame on the star chart, but you can certainly see the new gen frame influence in the Psychic Reservoir. While she doesn't have a defined niche, she still has most of the Crowd Control identity of her original design; as there hasn't been a precedent for CC frames bypassing Overguard's privileges I didn't want to add it to this concept, but an augment that takes more Psychic Energy to allow her abilities to bypass Overguard seems like a "balanced" decision.

Since this is well outside the scope of a "light" rework I don't have any hopes of seeing this concept implemented. Still, I'm very excited for the Nyx and Trinity reworks so I can craft the Primes I could never sell.

See you in 1999

• Like 1