Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A Tenno's Escape

Dimcreaper

-DISSCLAIMER- I decided to write up a small back story for my Excalibur character, just for fun really. I was playing about with personality and character for him and I got to thinking about what I am always doing, running survival missions and just in general ruining the Grineer’s day. I tried to put that into a character context and the only reason I could find to kill thousands upon thousands of Grineer was just for fun. What added to my final product was the Excalibur’s text entry in the codex. It made the Tenno sound as if they had some kind of defect that was caused from going to the void, perhaps a mental illness or something. Now what you are going to read is quite graphic and brutal but you must know a Tenno’s work isn’t clean.

“I often wondered…what makes a Grineer tick. Such curiosities are sated simple enough, but I make it my job to drag on such ideas as long, and as painfully as possible.”

The Excalibur warframe slowly pulled his Kama out of the armored neck of a Grineer lancer, as he did so he straightened looking about. His eyes fell upon a most pleasant sight, red rock canyon walls and flowing dirt and sand all rising around him in great beauty. Though every perfect thing has to have a blemish, set into the canyon walls where great metal structures and bulbous machines all manufactured by the now lifeless bodies lying around his feet. Their blood staining the sand and dripping from the walls of their own handy work.

The Excalibur flicked the blood off his Kamas taking one last look at the scene, and if he was not hidden behind a helmet one might have seen a smile of pure pleasure and fulfillment. Turning around he faced the cliff face leaping at it and driving his Kamas into the rock. Slowly but steadily he climbed soon the clouds of dust blowing at the higher levels completely hid him from view.

“Some might ask, why I am here? And tell themselves, he is a Tenno he is on a mission they always are. However that’s not the case.”

“My name is Dantivano and this is my escape.”

-Many years earlier-

two pods approached the desert planet of Phobos, their occupants cold and dutiful but light hearted. The pods slowed entering the atmosphere. The persistent and heavy cover of smoke and blowing sand hid them from any unwanted attention. The two pods came to a stop hovering a few yards from the top of a large rock formation, their bellies opened up and a figure dropped from each one. Then the pods disappeared again into the dust.

There stood a Rhino and Excalibur warframe each gathering their surroundings. Knowing what needed to be done they gave each other nods of understanding and headed off.

“The mission was simple enough get in get the data units and get out. I had done such things a thousand time same as any Tenno. I requested my counterpart come with me to, if all else failed, make sure that the data gets the Lotus”

Making their way through caves and over sand flats the duet finally fell upon what they had been looking for. Before them lay a vast Grineer water drilling complex, the columns of black smoke and hanging smog could be seen from miles away.

On the way into the facility few patrols where spotted but the ones that were, were dispatched as fast and quietly as possible. Navigating through the hallways of the base felt like an eternity before the Tenno found their prize, the first data terminal. The Excalibur set to hacking the data base as the Rhino stood guard at the entrance, not a single Grineer was spotted. The data unit is extract finally and gathered up. As the Excalibur stands holding the data unit a bellowing alarm goes off both Rhino and Excalibur flinch internally. They still need to get one more data unit and there is going to be an army on top of them within seconds.

Without a seconds delay the Tenno start toward the next target. Taking point the Rhino barrels through the door, driving a rib shattering shoulder into a Grineer lancer. Data unit in one hand Brakk pistol in the other the Excalibur stays behind his unstoppable friend picking off any easy targets. As the two run down the hall, both bullets and cries of dyeing Grineer pound down on the Tenno.

Such chaos continues, the blood of the Grineer plastering the walls and boiling on the hot pipes that fill the halls. Soon the team finds the last data terminal, the Excalibur launching himself over the Rhinos head and fires a rain of pellets down on a Lancer that took refuge behind a supply crate. Recovering with expert speed he begins to hack the console. Around him bullets drive holes into the metal walls, behind him the Rhino warframe shines with hardened armor, his heavy rifle reporting loudly against the tacking fire of the Grineer Grakata.

“I live for such moments, the drive of time, the looming possibility of death, the pounding of relentless waves of power and energy.”

With both data units the Tenno pushed their way to extraction. As they run, Rhino in front Excalibur covering the flank, they drove further on, the Grineer onslaught never slacking, never relenting. Pushing the last yard with a charge the Rhino smashes through a line of Grineer and slides through the last door between them and extraction. At that very second the alarms sounded again and the door begins to close, a lock down. With no more energy left to dash through the doors the Excalibur heaves the data units through the door and comes to a halt just as they closed. The data units disappear behind the doors and so does the Rhino. Turning the Excalibur replaced his Brakk on his hip and reaches for death its self.

The stream of fire burst from the Ignis’s barrel, the orange light dancing over the Excalibur’s face as he walks forward. The weapon in his hand flares and burns everything in its path, Grineer cooked alive in their armor. Their bodies thrash and screamed against the closed door
uselessly trying to escape. Despite their screams their comrades remain indifferent, leaving them to die in the super-heated room. The Ignis sputters and dies, flaming drips of fuel fall from the end of its red hot barrel and spatter on the ground, the last of the Grineer sputters and lays still.

Simply standing there, weapon at his side the Excalibur looks over the bodies. How powerless they are before the Tenno. Their bodies lay indistinguishable from the burnt ground they lay on.

“I never left Phobos with my companion, I never wanted to. Why return to being Lotus’s puppet when I have a playground of beauty and death at my very finger tips.”

“My name is Dontivano and this is my escape”

Edited by Dimcreaper